Sign in to follow this  
Guest Gunner_CAF

Frame rate drop in Windowed Mode FSX Vista?

I have two hard drives on the same machine, one with XP and one with Vista.Both have FSX installed.Using Vista 32 Ultimate, my frames drop to about 5 fps when I switch to Windowed mode. Full screen mode, however, is totally fine. I get a constant 20 fps.Now, using XP, my frames remain constant at 20 fps regardless of if I am using Windowed or Full Screen mode.Any ideas on why Windowed mode in FSX/Vista would cause this prob? I'm stumped.Note: I'm using default aircraft in default scenery.Thanks,Bryan

>I have two hard drives on the same machine, one with XP and>one with Vista.>>Both have FSX installed.>>Using Vista 32 Ultimate, my frames drop to about 5 fps when I>switch to Windowed mode. Full screen mode, however, is>totally fine. I get a constant 20 fps.>>Now, using XP, my frames remain constant at 20 fps regardless>of if I am using Windowed or Full Screen mode.>>Any ideas on why Windowed mode in FSX/Vista would cause this>prob? I'm stumped.>>Note: I'm using default aircraft in default scenery.>>Thanks,>BryanBryan,Exactly the same thing is occurring to me as well.I have 2 separate hard drives, with Vista 32 Premium on one and Windows XP on the other hard drive (with bootup choice of windows on computer start)I have a clean install of FSX with SP1 and in Vista my frame rates drop if I go to windowed mode by 50-80%.In full screen mode I get good frame rates(I prefer windowed mode but the frame rates are significantly worse).Now in Windows XP this does not occur.My system specs areCore 2 Duo 6600(not over clocked), 4GB Ram, NVIDIA 7900GTX with 512mbI would be curious to know if other folks are having the same problem.I have searched the forum but did not find any comments relating to the above mentioned phenomenon.CheersBo

Bo Klop

(I think)Most modern graphics cards have 2 settings for 2 speeds - one is memory clock the other GPU clock...for heat etc - there are low clocks set for 2D and much higher ones for 3D ...I think in windowed mode in Vista it doesn't trigger into the 3D clocks - therefore your graphics card is running very much slower.

Disable Aero Glass if you run in windowed mode...

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

>Disable Aero Glass if you run in windowed mode...>>Ryan, I disabled the aero in Vista a while back and still the same problem. When i was running aero if i close then reopen fsx i would get a pink screen - dont know why???I am surprised that only Bryan and I are having this issue!!!Bo

Bo Klop

Fixed!!! Sorta...I selected "Windows Classic" in the Vista Window Color and Appearance section, and the problem went away. Now I have normal frame rates in Windowed Mode in Vista.Only problem is that now Vista looks like Windows 98... -Bryan

Guest Gunner_CAF

I am running Win XP. I have a program that makes the desktop look like Vista (tool bars, menu bar). When I run FSX in windowed mode, it gets lower frame rate. When I change the desktop back to Windows Classic, the frame rates increase.My hunch is the title bar and menu bar graphics may be the FR killer.Gunner