Sign in to follow this  
Michael Moe

Verdict/opinion on the Flow software?

Hi, havent bought it yet.

Whats the goodies and maybe the not so?(Performance?)

Thanks Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Downloaded the free version via Orbx, lasted barely a flight before uninstalling. Personally to me it's just the default toolbar wearing a fancy dress. 

The biggest downer for me though was not being able to drag it to another monitor.  

EDIT: I just noticed you said you haven't BOUGHT it yet, please do yourself a favour and try the free version first. 

Edited by verbal
Update post
  • Like 4

i9-13900K | 6400MHz DDR5 (32GB) | GeForce RTX 4090 24GB | ViewSonic 27in QHD VA 165Hz Curved | Windows 10 |

MSFS Premium Deluxe | PMDG 737 | PMDG 777 | Horizon 787-9

Marc

The free version brings little to the game. However, the 'Essentials' version I use every flight. 

The widgets (which are found in the Essentials and Professional version are very useful. The Camera widget is a great way to switch cameras and expose the many 'hidden' camera views. [take a look at all the cool camera views built-in to the C414]. The other widgets: weather, time, etc. are all nicely done and useful as well.

I like it a lot.

I've mapped the command to show the wheel to Mouse 4. With this setup, I can click Mouse 4, the wheel appears where my mouse cursor is, and I click on what's needed. No hunting around for the toolbar and so on. Big reduction in mousing around.

Edited by RichieFly
moar
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

38 minutes ago, RichieFly said:

The Camera widget is a great way to switch cameras and expose the many 'hidden' camera views. [take a look at all the cool camera views built-in to the C414]. The other widgets: weather, time, etc. are all nicely done and useful as well.

This I did like, but as I'm changing cameras, I still have the wheel sitting "in the shot" so to speak. If they can somehow integrate the ability to move it to another monitor, then I would give it another crack. 

• Like 1

i9-13900K | 6400MHz DDR5 (32GB) | GeForce RTX 4090 24GB | ViewSonic 27in QHD VA 165Hz Curved | Windows 10 |

MSFS Premium Deluxe | PMDG 737 | PMDG 777 | Horizon 787-9

Marc

Here's what I do: after displaying the camera list, drag the window a bit to unlock it from the wheel. Next, drag the camera list to a screen edge to shrink it to a little camera icon...mostly invisible.

There's nothing documented about these shortcuts, so, yeah. Experimentation.

Like smartphones, you're just supposed to magically know all the gestures and shortcuts.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

If you use the Free version you won't get the bells and whistles that make this a great add-on.

I personally love the refined, contemporary layout of the wheel.  One click and it's all there in front of you with the ability to customise across multiple wheels.

The new nameplate integration is awesome too along with the ability to exit the sim with one click when you're done.

I guess it's all about ease of use without having to go in and out of the default handlebar menu.  

I use the Pro version for reference.

5 star product.

Jase

• Like 4

Jaseman. Lovin it up here........

Catch us over at MassieSim32 -> https://discord.gg/B4buuHGhcr

Mr. OP,

I didn't answer all of your question. I can't detect any performance hit at all.

• Like 2

Richard Chafey

MSFS 2020, DCS

When I first heard of Flow and saw some release info for it, I thought that oh, looks nice but probably not much more useful then the default toolbar. Then, I watched a few in depth review videos and my mind started to change. So, I went ahead and purchased the pro version, and now for the last few weeks I have found it extremely useful. It it super customizable and I love the interface. For me, it does indeed flow. Would I suggest it for everyone? Not necessarily, but I would highly suggest that if you are slightly interested, then do some deeper research on the capabilities and options and also watch some in depth use and review videos. Then make a more informed decision. Overall, I find it extremely useful and an excellent application. And, no effect on frame rates or sim performance for me.

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 7800X3D & Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master MB, w/32 Gb GSkill DDR5 RAM, MSI 4090 GPU, lots of SSD's and M.2 drives, Fractal Torrent Case, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, Virpil Constellation Alpha Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Yoke Boeing Edition and MFG Rudder pedals. Currently on Win11

Thanks for your insight but i am still not that convinced to say the least. I normally dont adjust wind/weather or time besides from at the global menu.

So i cant really see any improvement ? , i have buttons on hardware all-ready on cameras.

But again please share your thoughts

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

I bought the Essentials version. As someone already mentioned, not being able to just drag it to my second monitor is a deal breaker. And my experience was about the same - less than five minutes from first launch to uninstall.

It's kind of ironic that this tool which Parallel 42 promotes as modern and intuitive  - "Goodbye toolbar!" - is not intuitive at all.  I've been using one of the free No Toolbar Handle mods for ages and guess what - goodbye toolbar lol. It's there only when I want it with a simple mouse movement. I see some users are getting what at least to them, is a benefit from it. To me it's just a gimmick.

• Like 1

ASUS MAXIMUS IX CODE Z270, i7-7700K OC@4.8, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, VKBSim Gladiator joystick, CH Pro pedals, Razer Orbweaver Chroma Gaming Keypad, Samsung SSD 850 Pro 512GB (main drive/sim drive), WD Black 1TB HDD

I liked it but the VR implementation is janky. But it looks better than the top-bar otherwise. 

Eddie
KABQ

I don't fly in VR.

I tried out the free version first. Liked it. 

Bought the Pro version and use it on every flight. There are a ton of useful tools and an active user community that provides widgets for the wheel (user widgets only work with the Pro version). 

No impact on performance, although it does take a while to load on my ancient PC.

Plus, there is an active Discord community. 

5 Stars, highly recommended.