Sign in to follow this  
eddl

Learning on remote server possible?

Hi,

I was wondering if learning airport traffic is possible on a remote computer, like a server.

Running the learner all day on the gaming rig is very inefficient and not always possible.

I would like to use a server which is online 24/7 anyways, but does not have MSFS installed.

Which files or which file structure are required to allow learning? So I could recreate a slim and non-functional MSFS environment and PSXT Learner is still happy to learn. 

Many thanks for this great tool!

Yes that's possible. 

Install RT and PSXT_MSFS at the server. (I am not sure if RT checks you are running two copies of RT over the same IP address at the same time. If so  buy an extra license, or run only one RT at a time.)

Copy the folders addon_airports,  thirdparty_airports and updated_airports from your MSFS pc to the server.

Run PSXT_Learner at the server .

That's all.

If you want to fly again make sure to synchronise the updated_airports folder at your MSFS pc with the updated_airports folder at the server. 

Hi Kiek,

many thanks for your quick reply! That sounds easy.

But I am wondering how PSXT_Learner can learn a freshly installed 3rd-party-airport then, without requiring the MSFS community folder.

What are the steps required to start learning a new addon airport on the server?

Thank you very much. :)

If you add a new addon airport you have to run PSXT_MSFS at your MSFS pc and push the Airports button. Then copy the newly created airport file from the thirdparty_airports airports folder to the thirdparty_airports at your server.

8 hours ago, kiek said:

Yes that's possible. 

Install RT and PSXT_MSFS at the server. (I am not sure if RT checks you are running two copies of RT over the same IP address at the same time. If so  buy an extra license, or run only one RT at a time.)

Copy the folders addon_airports,  thirdparty_airports and updated_airports from your MSFS pc to the server.

Run PSXT_Learner at the server .

That's all.

If you want to fly again make sure to synchronise the updated_airports folder at your MSFS pc with the updated_airports folder at the server. 

Been using this technique for every new addon airport I buy. Works perfectly, I only have to remember to copy the updated airport file back to the MSFS PC. I'm currently finishing up iniBuilds KDTW and DominicDesigns KIND - they've each been running for almost 2 weeks. I have to say I'm surprised how many updates continue to be added...for a busy airport, even after letting Learner run an airport for a week, there are still many, many updates in the 2nd week.

During a run I periodically close and restart Learner so it writes any updates since last save, and then I copy the updated file to my MSFS PC so I can use the updated file when flying. Closing and restarting really isn't necessary, because as an airport is being learned, Learner auto-saves (I think in the manual it says every hour), but I like to use the file with the latest updates included.

I only wish I could run a bunch of copies of Learner and RT at the same time on the same computer.

Unfortunately during my run on both KDTW and KIND the government decided it hadn't done enough to destroy the economy, and had the FAA trot out the Notice to AIRMEN screw-up...so both airports will have unrealistic parking times because of the delays and cancellations. I considered shutting down Learner during that period, but I decided to just let it run.

• Like 1

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

@somiller just curious,  did you need an extra RT license for the Server or not?

1 hour ago, kiek said:

@somiller just curious,  did you need an extra RT license for the Server or not?

Sir no I did not. I have the Professional version on a yearly sub.

From the RT website https://rtweb.flyrealtraffic.com/

Standard Edition Licenses

Access to real-time traffic only.
    No satellite data access.
    Only run a single instance of RealTraffic at a time.

Professional Edition Licenses

Access real-time and historical traffic data from May 1st 2020 until today.
    Access to destination traffic pre-filling when using PSXT.
    Global satellite imagery for the past 7 days (subject to data availability)

It appears a benefit of Pro is ability to run multiple instances of RT, and additionally to "learn" or pre-fill destination while enroute.

The 2nd "learner" instance of RT I wouldn't call a "server" as I simply installed PSXT and RT on a laptop. The laptop install of PSXT has all directories copied over from my flightsim PC. When I'm done learning an airport on the laptop I just copy the updated airport file over to the sim computer (via ethernet, but I wouldn't call it a server as it's serving nothing). Anytime I install a new airport or livery addon I scan for airports or liveries with PSXT on the sim PC and copy the results to the laptop.

It all sounds like a lot of effort, but it took much more time and effort to type out the above explanation.

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

21 minutes ago, somiller said:

It all sounds like a lot of effort, but it took much more time and effort to type out the above explanation.

Yes, if you know what to do it is easy. 😉

If one understands what the program does, and  one knows that there are actually two independent sub programs on board (the liveries scanner and the airports scanner), it all sounds more logical.

Edited by kiek

Dear both,

many many thanks for your kind help! Everything fully understood and I got it working. 🙂

• Like 1