Sign in to follow this  
jordanal

I wonder if...

FSX has any programming code from the ORIGINAL Flight Simulator (sub logic). Like maybe even a few lines? hmmmm, or if not I wonder how far back it goes?

Bruce Artwicks original Engineering Thesis was about a 3D-graphics simulation of flight on the Apple II.When he finally released a FS1 (01/1980 on cassette tape) he had to have a .air file for a plane to fly.I agree that FS has come along way but if memory serves me right, his original .air file (many code lines now added) still exsit today or a plane would not fly.

>Bruce Artwicks original Engineering Thesis was about a>3D-graphics simulation of flight on the Apple II.>>When he finally released a FS1 (01/1980 on cassette tape) he>had to have a .air file for a plane to fly.>>I agree that FS has come along way but if memory serves me>right, his original .air file (many code lines now added)>still exsit today or a plane would not fly.>That's really neat! Almost like "history" for Flight Simulation..

AFAIK, the central "core" of FS remains the original, assembly language code which MS licensed from Bruce Artwick......which, if true explains why certain things will never change... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

and in the time line, I purchased subLOGIC Flight Simulator II for my Commodore 64 in 1984.In 1986 when subLOGIC Flight Simulator II was made for Amiga I bought a 500 and then moved up to the Amiga 2000. Bruce had now put FS on a single 3 and 1/2 floppy at 700kb format and we ran FS from the floppy.The Amiga 2000 is still alive and well after 21 yrs and has the 1986 upgrade with the IBM PC XP bridge board and a 20Meg hard drive with DOS 3.When MS went with Windows I started purchasing versions of FS.Sitting next to the Amiga 2000 (that is not turned on much) is a new 3 month old Alienware Intel ALX (Vista OS) spec'ed to the hill. Several older Gateways and a Dell occupy space also with a Windows 98, one with ME (upgraded to XP2) and the Dell that shipped with XP2 which I use for writing code, testing and comparing FS9/FSX between various systems. Many IBM PC XP and AT type computers including Tandy's have come and gone but kept the old Amiga 2000 for where we came from with FS Not only has FS and the time line come along way but so has Computers.

Actually, MS bought all the code lock, stock and barrel, no licensing involved. I just checked and there's only 9 assembler language files in the main source tree (and I can't gaurantee that all 9 of those are actually built/linked anymore :-> ).So, since almost all the code was assembler in FS95 (well, the code that came from FS5 anyway, any new code written for FS95 was done in C/C++) and now none of of it is, the current code base certainly can't reach back any further than that :->

If you ask Bruce (and he should know, he named the #### things :-> ), it stands for Better Graphics Language (because it was MUCH better than Logol which was what FS4 and previous used).

>Actually, MS bought all the code lock, stock and barrel, no>licensing involved. I just checked and there's only 9>assembler language files in the main source tree (and I can't>gaurantee that all 9 of those are actually built/linked>anymore :-> ).Thanks for the clarification, Tim. I knew that parts were still in assembler, but wasn't sure about whether it was licensed or bought outright. Now we know for certain. ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator