Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

Tourists have no idea.

I don’t understand. We all fork out for the fancy dress and pointless horses and part of the justification is to promote tourism.

Why shout at the tourists? It’s what he’s there for.

He should be off the horse in a shot trying to flog ‘em some overpriced My Little Pony tat to try and recoup some of our money.

Touch one of the police horses of the New Orleans, LA, French Quarter, mounted patrol and you may be charged with assault on a police officer. A very good reason to leave the horses alone.

• Like 1

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Camilla had no clue, she tried to copy Charles's bonnet.

spacer.png

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

2 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

I don’t understand. We all fork out for the fancy dress and pointless horses and part of the justification is to promote tourism.

He should be off the horse in a shot trying to flog ‘em some overpriced My Little Pony tat to try and recoup some of our money.

So which one in the video is you?
All I can see is a series of illustrations that there is indeed no limit to human stupidity.

Edited by Reader
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

We all fork out for the fancy dress and pointless horses and part of the justification is to promote tourism.

It's not for tourism DD, it's for tradition.  The British do pomp and circumstance like no other country.  They have a long tradition of doing it and it instills well deserved pride among it's citizens.  Tourism is just a modern by-product, especially since the advent of the iPhone camera where owners have gone nuts taking pictures of everything about them.  "...and here's a picture of my former neighbor's best friend's dog."  

The watchword is look, but don't touch.  

Noel

• Like 5

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

5 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

It’s what he’s there for.

No, it isn't:

"The King's Guard are the contingents of infantry and cavalry soldiers charged with guarding the official royal residences in the United Kingdom."

So, they are not there for the entertainment of the tourists. They are soldiers on duty.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Dugald Walker

I don't think tourists (and unfortunately an increasing number of Brits) have a clue what they are they for. They appear to be under the impression that it is a "theme park" of some kind and they are there for them to take pictures of and provide them with amusement. They are not. As dmwalker above has made clear. They are soldiers on duty serving a serious purpose.

Their weapons work and didn't come from Hamleys of Regent Street. You would be well advised to keep your hands off and back away or they will give you your dues. And if they are marching at you the get out of their way or they will literally walk right over you.

Edited by Jazz
  • Like 4

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

6 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

I don’t understand

Isn't that the truth.

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

No, I understand exactly what they are and what they are for and it’s still a ridiculous waste of very scant resources.

Having what amounts to a garrison in the Tower of London and effectively a riding school in - of all places - Knightsbridge is ludicrous in this day and age when we have a regular army smaller than at any time since Charles I.

You’ll note Downing St., parliament, Buckingham Palace, Whitehall, etc. are guarded by armed police.

These guys are there to play toy soldiers for tourism, pointless ceremony and along the way they’ll have a good time living in central London for six months.  

Of course they are real troops and they all have an important part to play in our modern, mechanised army but after six months of guarding nothing much really important, marching up and down and partying, it’ll take around another five to six months of training to get them back into an effective, active unit.

It makes no sense whatsoever.

Noel; I suspect most of my fellow Brits don’t give two hoots about pomp and circumstance these days, just as most of those kids on horses carrying a sword would much rather be learning to drive tanks…

Edited by DD_Arthur

2 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

I suspect most of my fellow Brits don’t give two hoots about pomp and circumstance these days,

Apparently, most of your fellow Brits aged 18 to 24 are not in favour of the Monarchy but most of the age group 25 to 65+ are in favour. There isn't a survey specifically about the pomp and circumstance but I don't think it wouldn't be too much different. Also, the statistics don't take into account the new monarch so I imagine the numbers will drop somewhat.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/863893/support-for-the-monarchy-in-britain-by-age/ 

Dugald Walker

10 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

It is a respect thing, if I went to the Tomb of the Unknown Solder in the USA and stepped out of line I would be yelled at too, that is a site of importance in the USA. Monarchy is a head of state not a Disneyland mascot also a site of importance, culture and heritage 

Edited by Matthew Kane
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Matthew Kane

6 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

I suspect most of my fellow Brits don’t give two hoots about pomp and circumstance these days

I expect that most of your fellow Brits would have no time for your minority view.
Indeed you do not understand and your cynicism is your loss and not the prevailing opinion.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

16 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

Ah, such lines bring back old memories of more carefree times with great friends from England, pubs, pints, darts, taking the p..... (probably word not allowed).

To me there's also this ability to be sometimes bitterly critical and humorous at the same time, it also seems very British, just as much as the changing of the guards or other ceremonies.