Sign in to follow this  
Mike_CFII_MEL

GPU Load/Memory Used in X-Plane 12

5 minutes ago, Mike_CFII_MEL said:

Hi,

Does AVSIM have a way to block their text, if not that would be nice option. 

Hover your mouse over the name of the person, and a pop up will appear.  Select "Ignore User".

They'll continue to troll post, but at least you won't see them anymore.

Edited by GoranM
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mike_CFII_MEL said:

Hi,

Does AVSIM have a way to block their text, if not that would be nice option. 

If you click their username there is an ignore user option.

But then you will miss out on some of the best comedy flight sim has to offer, and we all need a giggle sometimes.

• Like 1

AutoATC Developer

1 minute ago, mSparks said:

If you click their username there is an ignore user option.

But then you will miss out on some of the best comedy flight sim has to offer, and we all need a giggle sometimes.

I'd rather spend that time in my flight deck, that comedy is getting old. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

1 hour ago, mSparks said:

substandard last gen/dx12 rendering

https://themaister.net/blog/2021/11/

Didn't read all of his words (GPU driver authors are deeper thinkers than I am) but this statement by the guy working on making vulkan interpret dx12 function calls (vkd3d) was interesting:

"We have a fair amount of issues to deal with. A lot of invalid API behavior in D3D12 happens to work on native drivers, and many games ship with subtle bugs which force us to do horrible things. IHVs are going to have a fun time in 5 years when hardware details change."

Apparently dx12 is a bit of an illogical headache to deal with at the shader-compile level. Note the title of his blog series. They're not following rational conventions under the hood. The GPU hardware/drivers must have various accommodations to let it run. Probably not great for driver performance.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Friendly reminder: WHITELIST AVSIM IN YOUR AD-BLOCKER. Especially if you're on a modern CPU that can run a flight simulator well. These web servers aren't free...

Because the question was: 

Can someone put into simple terms why I would see a GPU load of 98%, when I'm only using 8455MB on a card that has 24GB memory and a memory controller load of 14% in X-Plane 12?

Thanks

the answer is (in layman’s terms) that GPU load has little to do with memory, but how busy the processor nodes are at calculating. X-Plane is using downtime (where the GPU would be waiting for new instructions from the CPU ) to calculate things like moving trees, cars, etc. The VRAM memory is just filled with bitmaps for the biggest part.

(see, nothing to do with msfs)

Edited by soaring_penguin

4 hours ago, mSparks said:

Do you even use 4K?

4K 😊, that was 3 years ago.

HP VR headset G2 offers 2160×2160 per eye, with a total of 9.3 million pixels and runs at 90Hz.

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

The GPU load is at 99% because it is kept busy. I remember people complaining because this was NOT the case with xp11. 
But as long as the GPU is able to deliver within the allotted timeframe, there is nothing wrong and fps stays up. It is when the GPU is pushed hard and can’t finish within the allotted timeframe that fps tank.

xplane and msfs use different techniques, msfs is more bitmap focused, where xplane is more vectorised. You can not compare the two. I don’t think msfs has trees moving with the wind?

51 minutes ago, turbomax said:

half what I get in another sim

identical. 

HDMI can only do max 4K@60fps.

thats the physical limit of the cable.

more likely other sim is lying to you about its underlying framerate.

There is another aspect to, I cant talk to other sim, but xplanes frame counter is very different to pretty much the entire rest of the industry, in that a "frame time" is the maximum length of time between a control input and seeing it on the screen, pretty much everything else just measures the rate pixels are getting generated with absolutely no regard to whats happening to make them.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

The topic of this thread is GPU load and memory use in XP12.  Not MSFS performance vs XP12 performance.  Not MSFS *anything*.  The OP asked a specific question, not for another sim-v-sim free for all.

A couple of serial thread hijackers are close to getting a special invitation to a newly-formed group that excludes access to the XP forums. 

I don't like to put up walls, but I certainly will if needed to keep the peace.

• Like 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

23 minutes ago, Bob Scott said:

The topic of this thread is GPU load and memory use in XP12.  Not MSFS performance vs XP12 performance.  Not MSFS *anything*.  The OP asked a specific question, not for another sim-v-sim free for all.

A couple of serial thread hijackers are close to getting a special invitation to a newly-formed group that excludes access to the XP forums. 

I don't like to put up walls, but I certainly will if needed to keep the peace.

Do you really keep deleting the answer to the OPs question or is it a forum issue?

The reason for the high gpu load is 4K really hammers all the gpu compute that is resolution sensitive.

trees, clouds, screenspace reflections and AA to name a few.

on the graphics page of XP12 is a slider for FSR,

FSR reduces that load significantly and then upscales it to the screen resolution, where upscaling is significantly less compute intensive than calculating the exact values for every pixel.

About 3 times now Turbomax has confirmed this, and 3 times that confirmation has vanished.

Edited by mSparks
  • Like 1

AutoATC Developer

23 minutes ago, mSparks said:

Do you really keep deleting the answer to the OPs question or is it a forum issue?

The issue with the hidden posts was the accompanying personal sniping and/or linkage to posts hijacking the thread with sim-vs-sim arguments.

• Like 2

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

4 hours ago, mSparks said:

trees

This is precisely why I started into the tree discussion yesterday. In XP, the trees are fully 3D entities that move correctly with wind direction and speed. That movement is computed on the GPU for thousands of them. That's why there's an option in XP's gfx menu to turn them off. It provides a slight FPS boost.

The new 2D trees in XP12 look much better than they did in 11. I love the 3D trees, but turn them off for now if I'm using my reverb G2. Or in other words: any resolution higher than 2k.

Friendly reminder: WHITELIST AVSIM IN YOUR AD-BLOCKER. Especially if you're on a modern CPU that can run a flight simulator well. These web servers aren't free...

13 hours ago, mSparks said:

HDMI can only do max 4K@60fps. thats the physical limit of the cable.

more likely other sim is lying to you about its underlying framerate.

really, can't trust anyone anymore these days, not even the frame counter 😊

there are different frame counters for internal game refresh and actual monitor refresh, which in my case is limited to 60 Hz. the potential of 100-125 Hz could be used instead to increase overall graphics settings, more traffic etc and for more constant frame times.

while my HP VR G2 headset is not connected via HDMI, these headsets never render the 2 images at their screens native full resolution, but only within a tiny sweet spot, unlike 2D monitors. that's where dynamic foveated rendering comes into play, or should we say into serious study level simming. or some such.😊

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

very nice.

21 hours ago, mSparks said:

HDMI can only do max 4K@60fps.

HDMI Specification HDMI 2.1a is the most recent update of the HDMI specification and supports a range of higher video resolutions and refresh rates including 8K60 and 4K120, and resolutions up to 10K.

https://www.hdmi.org/spec/hdmi2_1

very nice.