Sign in to follow this  
RobPol471

Qantas flight lands at YSSY after mayday alert

The only ones saying we still need two pilots in the cockpit are the folks who chose a career as  .....  yep you guessed it.. A Pilot. Keep pushing that button at 400ft for +250k a year and it will happen faster than anyone can think.

2 hours ago, Garys said:

The only ones saying we still need two pilots in the cockpit are the folks who chose a career as  .....  yep you guessed it.. A Pilot. Keep pushing that button at 400ft for +250k a year and it will happen faster than anyone can think.

It's sorta like getting surgery and having your surgeon double as the surgical nurse...I mean, why can't the spoiled prima donna just grab his own tools off the tray like any decent mechanic?  Of course when something goes wrong, do you really want him hunting around the OR for a Satinsky clamp while you're bleeding out on the table?

Two sets of eyes and ears add a lot to your safety--sure, you could get bye with just one up-front most of the time, but the number of times one pilot catches an error on the part of the other, a missed radio call, etc is not trivial at all.

• Like 2

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V....   See LOL..😀   I get what your saying but as passenger numbers increase, so too are the pilot deviation incidents. They are accuring far too frequently and only getting worse in nature. Even Data Comm with an automated taxi system would have prevented the near miss in New York this week. The technology exists. Its time for the change.

38 minutes ago, Garys said:

ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V....   See LOL..😀   I get what your saying but as passenger numbers increase, so too are the pilot deviation incidents. They are accuring far too frequently and only getting worse in nature. Even Data Comm with an automated taxi system would have prevented the near miss in New York this week. The technology exists. Its time for the change.

So your answer to pilot deviations is to reduce the manpower on the flight deck further by replacing two pilots with a single task-saturated pilot and some more automation?  The unfolding debacle with self-driving cars is bad enough...now you want self-flying planes?  Technology isn't infallible, either--think back to the Turkish Airlines Boeing 737 that crashed short of the runway at EHAM because the radar altimeter malfunctioned and commanded the autothrottles to idle more than a mile short of the runway, putting the jet into autoland flare mode.  Two pilots still didn't catch that one in time.  More automation is not necessarily better or safer.  "Ladies and gentlemen, your pilot has apparently been incapacitated and has stopped responding to control queries.  This message is to inform you that our proprietary automated sytem is now flying the aircraft.  Remain calm, there is no cause for concern...concern...concern...concern..."

I'm a retired USAF pilot, and I have no vested interest in shilling to preserve commercial pilot jobs or compensation.  I have, however, faced the challenges of flying crew-operated complex jet aircraft in our dynamic and crowded airspace environment.  A lone pilot on the flight deck is going to be more prone to falling asleep or otherwise becoming bored/complacent, and without checks and balances or backup.  The odds of a missed or misunderstood ATC clearance go up.  One less pair of eyeballs looking for traffic means higher probability of a midair, especially with light VFR aircraft that do not have TCAS.  The odds of an accident due to spatial disorientation--a constant threat to single-seat military pilots--goes up.  The workload during a time-critical emergency is quite likely to prove beyond a single pilot's capabilities--think Sully Sullenberger and his crew losing both engines and putting an A320 into the Hudson as an example.  There was a lot more to that time-critical crisis than just flying the crippled aircraft--emergency engine failure and restart checklists, selection of a ditching site, coordination with ATC to make their intentions known and get river rescue going, coordinating with the cabin crew to prep for a near no-notice ditching, etc.  All in a couple of minutes--everything all at once.  No way one guy pulls that off with just HAL9000 at his side.  Even non-emergent contingency situations could become crises with one pilot--an example would be holding, missed approach and divert with min fuel in a rapidly deteriorating weather environment.  That second pilot is worth his weight in eggs when that kind of thing happens.

The fact that crews are imperfect and occasionally commit errors does not negate the fact that multiple crew members continuously checking each other's work prevents many more errors from occurring every hour of every day, and permits crews to handle extreme workload peaks that a single pilot cannot.

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I cannot see the logic (or even the necessity) to reduce the number of pilots on the flight deck. Two seems to be the best number to me as far as flight safety is concerned.

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

For every incident you give me caused by automation I can give you 3 that were purely pilot error and thats not even counting the near misses but I dont think we need to go there. I'm actually in favour of no pilot flightdecks.

3 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

I cannot see the logic (or even the necessity) to reduce the number of pilots on the flight deck. Two seems to be the best number to me as far as flight safety is concerned.

cost 

14ppkc-6.png

19 hours ago, Bob Scott said:

I mean, why can't the spoiled prima donna just grab his own tools off the tray like any decent mechanic? 

As a mechanic myself, when you're positioned elbow deep and potentially upside down in the guts of a car, truck, plane, <insert named motor vehicle> etc. getting out of position to grab a tool in probably limited space is not at all efficient or at times even easy.

And that's where I have an apprentice sharing the workload in passing the required tools and provisioning assistance and operations as I need them.

And at one time I was incapacitated by 100,000 volts of spark energy and unable to move, and that's where my assistant cut the power, so there is the safety aspect as well.

And in my other carreer as a software and support engineer, I can say software based automation is not risk free, nore is it at times even safe.

There is always a spot for two people even if only to learn the ropes so to speak.

Cheers

Edited by Rogen
  • Upvote 1

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

41 minutes ago, Rogen said:

There is always a spot for two people even if only to learn the ropes so to speak.

And having that second spot as a place for learning the ropes is a super-important point, too--the right seat in an airliner is the training and experiencing platform that produces experienced captains. 

The concept of a single-seat operations environment begs the important question of where the experienced pilots would come from.  You can't just assume them into existence, and they don't grow on trees!

• Like 2

A bottle ???

A nappy ???

A catheter ???

Or Otto ?

Edited by Rogen

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

I read another article saying the passengers felt 'left in the dark' but yes Aviate, Navigate, Communicate (to ATC). Passengers are briefed when the situation allows it. I think QANTAS is still one of the only legacy airliners that has never had a crash during the modern jet era, impeccable safety record.

Matthew Kane

1 hour ago, Matthew Kane said:

I read another article saying the passengers felt 'left in the dark' but yes Aviate, Navigate, Communicate (to ATC). Passengers are briefed when the situation allows it. I think QANTAS is still one of the only legacy airliners that has never had a crash during the modern jet era, impeccable safety record.

Except for the bankok incident which was 100% pilot error. 😇