Sign in to follow this  
Sky_Pilot071

ATC Is OK With Me

13 hours ago, altenae said:

Or decent to 2000 feet 3  minutes before touchdown when you are still at 30.000 feet 😉

Spiral descent. Standard procedure to avoid Manpads on finals.....oh you mean a 747 into LAX....🤣.

Cheers

Terry

No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.

Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!

Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-10700 CPU @2.90Ghz, 32GB RAM,  NVIDEA GeForce RTX 3060, 12GB VRAM, Samsung QN70A 4k 65inch TV with VRR 120Hz Free Sync (G-Sync Compatible). 

Boeing Thrustmaster TCA Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant, Turtle Beach Velocity One Rudder Pedals.   

1 hour ago, G550flyer said:

Yes, I would fly into  MHTG a lot. I love that approach even though they have dug out the runway a bit. I have pilot2ATC too. Sometimes I just want to fire up MSFS and go without having to deal with other programs. With pilot2ATC, I have to keep clicking in and out of windows at time. There's pro atc too, it also runs natively inside of the so no click in and out of windows.

I'm not sure sometimes Rick if you are talking IRL or SIM. But I suspect both 😄.

Cheers

Terry

No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.

Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!

Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-10700 CPU @2.90Ghz, 32GB RAM,  NVIDEA GeForce RTX 3060, 12GB VRAM, Samsung QN70A 4k 65inch TV with VRR 120Hz Free Sync (G-Sync Compatible). 

Boeing Thrustmaster TCA Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant, Turtle Beach Velocity One Rudder Pedals.   

2 hours ago, Sky_Pilot071 said:

I concur that the current ATC is very much like the one we had in FSX / P3D

Moreover it communicates very well w/ realtime traffic coordinating traffic and so forth.  It's been spot on for a long while now, including calling all liveries correctly.  As long as you're not running an air traffic simulator within flight simulator and don't get overwhelmed with so much traffic density it taxes performance and clutters up landings w/ more go-arounds and so forth.  Plays very well with FSLTL.

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

4 hours ago, JYW said:

I'm flying the CJ4, I'm already at 11,000 and ATC insists I descend to 6,000.    Sorry, not going to happen! 😄

This was the case w/ FSX ATC.  I've just requested an increase in altitude and it usually grants it so can override the descend to X first.  I can't recall if it always happens but it does happen.   Sometimes I overshoot a flight level change and it tells me to go back to X but again override it with permission to ascend to X+

• Like 2

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

14 hours ago, eslader said:

I don't know how you'd program ATC to handle air traffic that the sim is not in full control over

Live traffic runs on the same AI system as offline traffic.

You need to avoid obstacles yourself but default ATC will usually get you on the ground. Sometimes it's on an actual runway at an airport! 😜

13 hours ago, Lord Farringdon said:

I'm not sure sometimes Rick if you are talking IRL or SIM. But I suspect both 😄

You would be correct!🤣. I try to use sim when I make distinctions lol.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, G550flyer said:

3. It doesn't take in account for weather when assigning approaches. Yea, you need to check the weather and minimums like you would real world. A weather missed approach should not come as a surprise.

I'm not a pilot and I'm not very adept at sim flying either but I have had situations in MSFS when I requested a visual approach and ATC would rejected it due to conditions calling for IFR operations. I was actually really impressed with this as it was something I never experienced in FSX. Is this an example of what you're talking about or does it have more to do with switching active runways based on wind changes?

Edited by Krakin

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

Sometimes ATC keeps demanding altitude changes every few seconds. That's when I quit IFR and fly on my own. But usually it is very aware of alt and speed restrictions and is on point with TOD. What I really like is that ATC is aware of FSLTL traffic and regularly asks other planes if they have my sorry A320 in sight, and vice versa. "Traffic on 6 o'clock" was funny, though. I climbed out of the window and looked back. Yes, traffic in sight!

• Upvote 1

MSFS default ATC..... Ha ha ha

Fsx version was honestly better.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

9 hours ago, Tuskin38 said:

Live traffic runs on the same AI system as offline traffic.

I never really dug into that. Is it using filed flight plans to generate the live traffic, or is it using ADS-B?

Edited by eslader

8 minutes ago, Krakin said:

I'm not a pilot and I'm not very adept at sim flying either but I have had situations in MSFS when I requested a visual approach and ATC would rejected it due to conditions calling for IFR operations. I was actually really impressed with this as it was something I never experienced in FSX. Is this an example of what you're talking about or does it have more to do with switching active runways based on wind changes?

Yes Sir, that's a great example. As pilot in command, you would have definitely checked that before and on arrival. Once the weather drops below VFR minimums, the field will become IFR. A lot of simmers believe that ATC will handle everything and keep you safe. In the real world, the PIC is responsible for safety and ATC just provides a service. The two times ATC takes on a more responsibility is when they give you headings on departure/arrival or when they give you a PAR/ASR approach. For the most part, ATC don't know your qualifications/SOPs in regard to approaches though they know your equipment through the flight plan. They will do their best to keep you informed and safe. Here is a good example of that.

I was going from DC down to KFTY in Atlanta. That morning, we checked weather and NOTAMs as we filed. Weather looked good and there were no gotchas in the NOTAMs. Just prior to the descent brief, we checked weather again and it was right at minimums. There was some low fog and the viz was right at minimums. We were concerned and let the VIP and passengers know that we might have to drop in to KATL if the weather was out. Now, our SOPs states that if you don't have the weather at this point, you either hold or head to the alternate. We had plenty gas and had enough to fly back to DC, so no problem holding for a bit. As we started descent and was handed over to approach, app told us that the fog was heavy and the 9 last approaches went missed and they all diverted. Weather was now below ILS mins and app was giving us a heads up. We called tower on the other radio to get a skinny on the weather trend. We told approach that we would proceed with the ILS. We have a system called EVS(enhanced vision system) that uses a camera and FLIR. It's projected on to the HUD and can also be placed on the systems DU for reference. The FAA allows you to go 50 feet below minimums for runways that have at least a precision approach to it. That was our plan, because that would give us our best chance of getting in. We quickly reviewed EVS procedures as we were vectored around. Strangely, we hit the deck of the low laying cloud at 800 feet AGL. I had the runway clearly for a while with EVS. I was just waiting on the other guy to acquire it visually out the windshield. As soon as he called the rabbit lights, I stated "landing". We were the first jet to get in there that morning and the jet behind us went missed until the fog burned off.

That's a great example of how it's on the PIC/crew to maintain safe operation. I bet they had their doubts when we told them our intent was to continue. They probably was a little suspicious that we got in and the following jet went missed. ATC will be your eyes and ears, but it's ultimately up to you to check everything and stay legal. Even with traffic, once they call it out to you. Once you say visual, you are responsible for separation. 

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, ryanbatc said:

MSFS default ATC..... Ha ha ha

Fsx version was honestly better.

I liked the speech alot more in FSX version, but appreciate MSFS ATC interacting w/ FSLTL traffic this is a giant plus not present w/ FSX ATC.

• Like 1

Noel

FSX used humans to do the recordings for ATC but in my opinion it ended up sounding way worse because those recordings had to be stitched together to create the messages. It sounded disjointed and weird. MSFS uses AI voices that sound a bit more artificial but there is a much better flow in the speech that makes me enjoy it much more.

• Like 2

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

On 1/20/2023 at 10:36 AM, eslader said:

I never really dug into that. Is it using filed flight plans to generate the live traffic, or is it using ADS-B?

As of Sim Update 11 it uses generated flight plans based off Flight Aware data.

Before Sim Update 11 it would use Flightaware's positional data when in between airports, and the default AI system when departing/arriving.

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 2