Sign in to follow this  
jackcnd

FSX and Vista

Guest ac772LR

Hi,Not sure if anyone can provide me with some advice, but I've recently switched over to Vista Premium and my frames have dropped considerably. I have two questions:1) When booting up, Vista switches to Vista basic colours because FSX can't support the Aero colours. Is this normal? Is anyone else getting this problem?2) FSX in XP (after SP1 installed) would yield 10-15 FPS in high detail zones and unlimited (50 and up) in-flight. Now, in FSX, I get 7-9 on the ground in detailed zones and 20ish in-flight. I think this is an NVIDIA driver issue. Is this right? Is there anything I can do, other than lower settings, to increase frames? Would over clocking my machine do it?My machine includes:MB: XFX nForce 650i UltraCPU: Q6600RAM: 4Gig of DDR2 800HD: WD Raptor 10KGPU: 8800 GTX 768MBIs there anything I can do to improve performance? I have the latest NVIDIA drivers installed, but that hasn't done much. If over clocking is the key, I'd appreciate any advice on what I should do or sites I should visit. That said, I'm a newbie to over clocking so a site that explains things clearly and easily would be about all I could handle.In advance, thanks to all for your help.Bill

There are 3 things that I have done in Vista that helped my frame rates:- Turn off the Indexing Service. It's a resource hog and has your disk spinning forever. If you need to search your hard drive, use Google Desktop, index once and forget.- Use the AA/AF of the nVidia driver, not the FSX AA/AF. Use the nVidia Control Manger to define the AA/AF. My settings are 8xAA, 16AF, override application setting, Use Supersampling, Clamp texture, turn off filtering (I am at work now, so I have to do it from memory). In FSX turn off anti-aliasing, but leave AF enabled (why is still a mystery to me, but it seems to be the best compromise between quality/performance).- Increase the TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT to 30-40 and set BUFFERPOOLS=4000000 (full explanation on fsinsider.com)Couple of things that I noticed:- Vista APM sucks. If you want to fly reboot and don't only resume from a low-power mode. That includes performance - somehow my fps are far less after a resume or if I open FSX multiple times without a reboot.- Multiple monitors: There is a patch that eliminates flickering in Vista in full-screen mode.- Peripherals: CH Pro Pedals and Throttle become un-calibrated after resume from sleep. Only re-plugging the devices helps.- Memory: 2GB are plenty. I have bumped up all my (scenery) settings to almost ultra high and use about 77% of my main memory without any decrease in performance - however I will get some blurries, because the GPU memory (in my case only 320MB) doesn't seem to be enough. Even autogen has just a minimal effect on frame rates on my system. The biggest resource hogs are traffic (MyTraffic/GATraffic) and dynamic scenery.Good luck,Pat

Guest Adrian Wainer

Quote1) When booting up, Vista switches to Vista basic colours because FSX can't support the Aero colours. Is this normal? Is anyone else getting this problem?UnQuotesame here when running Vista 64 ultimate Best and Warm RegardsAdrian Wainer

That is normal. FSX switches to the "basic" GUI to free up resources.Pat

thanks for all of the information that u just mentioned. Also how do i turn off the indexing service?

I'm finding FSX is about 10%-15% faster on XP than on Vista with the same settings. Vista may have a somewhat larger radius of high level textures, with the same settings. FSX seems use more memory in Vista than XP.I found the constant Vista disk thrasher was the Superfetch service. Once I turned it off, my PC drives stopped the constant thrashing. I left indexing on. MS really needs a Vista SP soon, that 24/7 disk thrashing combined with lower frame rates, multiple security warnings and UAC file access limitations make most want to keep XP. In FSX, AI traffic level is the big framerate killer at least near major airports. If I set it to 15% for GA And Jets, I lock at a nice 25fps just about everywhere even around New York. If I bump it to 50% then the frame rate often drops too much.

Here's the key settings and changes I'm using:FSX.CFG(search for the specific text strings)+ fiber frame action = .33+ texture bandwidth mult = 40+ bufferpools = 5000000 - 10000000 (dont see any differences)+ wideview = true+ mip bias = 6System settings:+ Use the out of memory tweak+ Superfetch service off+ very important to use the nhancer tool / tweak for 8800 graphic cards, it was the only way to get AA to turn on at all.And FSX general settings:+ Keep AI at 15% or below+ Use Jon and Holgers Vancouver+ FSX suggested settings elsewhere+ Lock fps at 25Bios Over Clocking:+ e6750 running at 3.2Ghz (396x8) up from default 2.6 (333x8)+ ram at appx 980 or PC8000 5-5-5-18Those settings made FSX an amazing sim on either Vista or XP, consider and make changes at your risk :)

FSX runs smoother and a bit faster for me in vista, BUT...I get constant OOM errors in vista that I never get in XP. There is a serious problem with this game and memory issues in vista. UTX has really exacerbated this issue for me since it was installed. I can usually fly for many hours before an OOM error in FSX with UTX disabled but am sometimes lucky to get 10 minutes with UTX and a complex plane. They really need to fix this memory issue with FSX because it is the only game I have that does this.________________________________________________________________________________________________Intel D975XBX2 'Bad Axe 2' | Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.20Ghz | 2 GB Super Talent DDR2 800 | Big Typhoon VX | eVGA 8800GTS @ 565/900 | Seagate 2x320GB SATA RAID-0 | OCZ GameXStream 700W | Creative X-Fi | Silverstone TJ-09BW | Matrox Triplehead Setup

>FSX runs smoother and a bit faster for me in vista, BUT...I>get constant OOM errors in vista that I never get in XP. There>is a serious problem with this game and memory issues in>vista. UTX has really exacerbated this issue for me since it>was installed. I can usually fly for many hours before an OOM>error in FSX with UTX disabled but am sometimes lucky to get>10 minutes with UTX and a complex plane. They really need to>fix this memory issue with FSX because it is the only game I>have that does this.Did you try this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940105One concern in the KB notes:"Although this approach reduces virtual address consumption, it does not eliminate the 2 GB virtual address space limit that many applications are quickly approaching on their own. Eventually, applications will reach the limit for other reasons."Sounds like we will all need a FSX 64bit with Vista 64 soon ...

Nothing to try. You have to contact MS first. I'll try it when it's available for download freely.________________________________________________________________________________________________Intel D975XBX2 'Bad Axe 2' | Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.20Ghz | 2 GB Super Talent DDR2 800 | Big Typhoon VX | eVGA 8800GTS @ 565/900 | Seagate 2x320GB SATA RAID-0 | OCZ GameXStream 700W | Creative X-Fi | Silverstone TJ-09BW | Matrox Triplehead Setup

>Nothing to try. You have to contact MS first. I'll try it>when it's available for download freely.Gotta love MS .. We have fix and they spend a long page discussing it. Then only to be told, its best to wait unless your really really want to use it now, in which case you'll have to jump through many more hoops to get it. And of couse they end the discussion saying in the long run it probably wont work anyhow :)Bill needs to get closer involved again.