Sign in to follow this  
Guest ziporama

OOM and MS's view (plus hotfix if you are bold enough)

Guest tcable

Unfortunately it does those of us with XP any good.However it's a step in the right direction. I do not expect an XP fix.

This hotfix will be generally available on 8/23 and addresses a problem in how Vista treats graphics memory. This should majorly help with OOM on Vista.Marking FSX as /3G aware, one of the SP2 "for everyone" features, should help too. Even for XP. :-)

3G aware? Wouldn't this assume that one would have 4GB of memory then? I only have 2GB and suffer from OOM errors in FSX all the time now.________________________________________________________________________________________________Intel D975XBX2 'Bad Axe 2' | Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.20Ghz | 2 GB Super Talent DDR2 800 | Big Typhoon VX | eVGA 8800GTS @ 565/900 | Seagate 2x320GB SATA RAID-0 | OCZ GameXStream 700W | Creative X-Fi | Silverstone TJ-09BW | Matrox Triplehead Setup

No.As I said on my blog post, physical memory addressed by the OS and the virtual address space available to a 32-bit process are 2 entirely different things.This fix addresses the fact that the graphics memory was being "shadow copied" and taking away each processes space. Exhausting the process address space is what the OOM errors are about, not about physical memory.

Sounds logical since my card has 640MB. I will try and get my hands on this patch. Thanks for the insight.________________________________________________________________________________________________Intel D975XBX2 'Bad Axe 2' | Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.20Ghz | 2 GB Super Talent DDR2 800 | Big Typhoon VX | eVGA 8800GTS @ 565/900 | Seagate 2x320GB SATA RAID-0 | OCZ GameXStream 700W | Creative X-Fi | Silverstone TJ-09BW | Matrox Triplehead Setup

Guest ziporama

Although when I try the /3Gb switch on my 2Gb XP box, my video drivers go wonkers (Nvidia). Not even running anything. It was said that this switch is not required on XP 64 or Vista, correct?

Thought this patch was being released to the masses on the 23rd? It appears that it didn't make it.________________________________________________________________________________________________Intel D975XBX2 'Bad Axe 2' | Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.20Ghz | 2 GB Super Talent DDR2 800 | Big Typhoon VX | eVGA 8800GTS @ 565/900 | Seagate 2x320GB SATA RAID-0 | OCZ GameXStream 700W | Creative X-Fi | Silverstone TJ-09BW | Matrox Triplehead Setup

quote "Marking FSX as /3G aware, one of the SP2 "for everyone" features, should help too. Even for XP.what does this mean. and also can someone please explain this new update to me? and if it will work with my system.amd 4600x2 at 2.4ghz each. vista home premiumthanks!!!

Guest in_04

>Just noticed this if anyone wants to read/try it:>>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940105>>Apologies if it has been posted already.I have the hotfix already, and can say it reduce the memory usage by a large amount. Hadn't any OOM error since this. But I still use the patch EXE witch can use more than 2 GB. Hope that the SP2 for FSX will include this fix too (Hint for Phil!)All Windows Vista Users should download it at 28/8.So far I didnt found any special problems with this hotfix.Don't ask how to get this hotfix, because the only way is described in the knowledgebase article.

Guest in_04

Sorry should be "patched EXE", this mean the EXE is modified for the use of more than 2 GByte.The unpatched EXE of FSX has a flag which show it cant use more than 2 GByte, the patched has the flag switched, so it will use more than 2 GByte.Hope that clear the point.

What patched exe? The hotfix doesn't include patches for fsx does it? I thought the patch was just for the OS, not for all the apps and games that run on the OS. Markus, you're kinda confusing everyone here, me included.________________________________________________________________________________________________Intel D975XBX2 'Bad Axe 2' | Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.20Ghz | 2 GB Super Talent DDR2 800 | Big Typhoon VX | eVGA 8800GTS @ 565/900 | Seagate 2x320GB SATA RAID-0 | OCZ GameXStream 700W | Creative X-Fi | Silverstone TJ-09BW | Matrox Triplehead Setup