Sign in to follow this  
rondon9898

Can Xplane 12 be realistically run on a 1080Ti?

Hi folks I have just purchased Xplane 12 as I wanted to use the FlyJSim Q400 but the textures, no matter what I do with the graphics settings, or Nvidia Inspector settings, are unbelievably jagged and blurry, like being in some 1990s console game. Is this simply because the 1080Ti can’t cope? I have an otherwise high end system but I bought a 3090 GPU (I think it was, anyway), it was faulty, and I had to go back to the 1080Ti again. As MSFS runs perfectly fine and, visually, rather beautifully with it, I presumed I could do the same in Xplane 12 but have I just been too hasty? 
Thanks folks

Imho you can not compare the fps/visuals MSFS with XP12. Even with only default scenery in XP my framerate and visual quality in XP is much lower than in MSFS (and/or XP11). 
I am disappointed by that, because I came to XP10 because of the rotorcraft quality and enjoyed XP. But now with the native new flightmodel in MSFS and the HPG H145 I think I sadly will not fly XP12 anymore. 
I think I will need some help to find the right settings in XP12 graphics and Nvidia settings to get it better (or perhaps wait for XP12.1-12)?

Regards,
Paul - near EHRD

Yes I think you’re right Paul, MSFS is visually tip-top, but I see videos of streamers etc. using Xplane 12 and the quality is hundreds of times better than what I can achieve, which makes me think it’s possible but just not on an elderly graphics card like mine. No matter what I do, the visual quality in XP12 is absolutely dreadful at the moment.

I am running XP12 DEMO as I not decided yet to purchase XP12. I installed the updates to XP12 and regularly perform a test flight of 15 min to see how it performs. 

I just moved from P3Dv5 to MSFS and having to upgrade all planes to XP12 standard is quite expensive.

I have a GTX 1080TI and it performs very well in XP12, even with the FF 767.

2 hours ago, rondon9898 said:

Hi folks I have just purchased Xplane 12 as I wanted to use the FlyJSim Q400 but the textures, no matter what I do with the graphics settings, or Nvidia Inspector settings, are unbelievably jagged and blurry, like being in some 1990s console game. Is this simply because the 1080Ti can’t cope?

Your 1080Ti should be perfectly adequate for running XP12 even at high settings (and likely medium settings if you're using 4K resolution). Can you provide screenshots of the sim and the graphic settings you're using?

• Like 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

To rule out a problem with the FlyJSim using up all the resources, can you try with the default C172 and report back.
The 1080Ti is still a powerful card that should easily cope with XP12 at medium to high settings at resolution up to 1440p for a single screen setup.

• Upvote 3

Screenshots
Screenshots
Screenshots
Screenshots
Screenshots

The above are screenshots and one of my settings - no matter what I change, it still looks this bad. I hope the screenshots worked on here.

For some reason, the screenshots look much better than the actual sim.

2 hours ago, Murmur said:

Your 1080Ti should be perfectly adequate for running XP12 even at high settings (and likely medium settings if you're using 4K resolution). Can you provide screenshots of the sim and the graphic settings you're using?

Edited by rondon9898

The images you posted have a resolution of 1920x1080, if you did not resize them that would be the screen resolution.
As said above, the 1080Ti is plenty powerful for that configuration and having 11GB of memory it would also never be limited on that front.

For comparison these are my settings with a less powerful graphic card

spacer.png

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rondon9898 said:

Screenshots
Screenshots
Screenshots
Screenshots
Screenshots

The above are screenshots and one of my settings - no matter what I change, it still looks this bad. I hope the screenshots worked on here.

For some reason, the screenshots look much better than the actual sim.

Although 11GB should be enough for Maximum texture quality, try setting it one notch down ("High").

Other than that, with a 1080Ti @ 1920x1080, you could set SSAO to high and anisotropic filtering to 8x or 16x without losing performance.

Also, try setting Antialiasing to FXAA (first notch), in some cases that could look better than MSAA.

Finally, if you have a decent CPU, you can increase vegetation density to at least high, and shadow quality to high, to increase visual quality without losing too much performance.

Let us know if things improve by changing those settings.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

5 hours ago, Paulvanuf said:

I am disappointed by that, because I came to XP10 because of the rotorcraft quality and enjoyed XP. But now with the native new flightmodel in MSFS and the HPG H145 I think I sadly will not fly XP12 anymore. 

The 145, even the Beta with CFD-Lite, doesn't fly well. Hopefully they get that tuned up (especially the incredibly janky "SAS").

The Cabri flies nicely, so good helo flight in MSFS is possible, and both the Bell 206's are well reviewed, but I'm not yet convinced enough to spend any more $$ there for now.

5 hours ago, rondon9898 said:

Hi folks I have just purchased Xplane 12 as I wanted to use the FlyJSim Q400 but the textures, no matter what I do with the graphics settings, or Nvidia Inspector settings, are unbelievably jagged and blurry, like being in some 1990s console game. Is this simply because the 1080Ti can’t cope? I have an otherwise high end system but I bought a 3090 GPU (I think it was, anyway), it was faulty, and I had to go back to the 1080Ti again. As MSFS runs perfectly fine and, visually, rather beautifully with it, I presumed I could do the same in Xplane 12 but have I just been too hasty? 
Thanks folks

I have a 4+ year old Ryzen 7 2700 paired with an RTX 2070. This is a heavily CPU-limited system (and generally speaking CPU is MUCH more important to flight sims than GPU), and I have to say the graphics quality on XP vs the other major sims is quite on par.

Generally speaking, the main difference I observe between XP v12 & FS2022 on my system is that I can run a generally higher level of detail in MSFS than in XP12.

My only disappointment with XP12 vs MSFS at this point is the Default ground textures. But in 3rd party scenery like Hi Qual airports, the visual experience is quite similar.

This is a very long way of saying you're likely having problems caused by something in your system rather than XP12 itself.

If you downgraded from a 3090 to a 1080, it's possible there's some left over "gunk" in your system, either in XP itself or perhaps driver differences, or cached shader files, etc.

It's incredibly easy to install a second instance of XP on your machine, I'd give that a try first before I'd go down the other paths of deleting shaders, GPU drivers, etc.

4 hours ago, Murmur said:

Although 11GB should be enough for Maximum texture quality, try setting it one notch down ("High").

Other than that, with a 1080Ti @ 1920x1080, you could set SSAO to high and anisotropic filtering to 8x or 16x without losing performance.

Also, try setting Antialiasing to FXAA (first notch), in some cases that could look better than MSAA.

Finally, if you have a decent CPU, you can increase vegetation density to at least high, and shadow quality to high, to increase visual quality without losing too much performance.

Let us know if things improve by changing those settings.

Thank you for that - I have tried everything you have suggested, tried SGSS in Nvidia Inspector, tried everything application-controlled with sliders all the way over, it always just looks like a blurry, jagged mess. I don’t understand what’s going on.

4 hours ago, UrgentSiesta said:

If you downgraded from a 3090 to a 1080, it's possible there's some left over "gunk" in your system, either in XP itself or perhaps driver differences, or cached shader files, etc.

It's incredibly easy to install a second instance of XP on your machine, I'd give that a try first before I'd go down the other paths of deleting shaders, GPU drivers, etc.

Interestingly, when I went to clear the Nvidia shader files, I have no NV_Cache folder, only DX and GL cache folders. 

When you say “second instance”, do you mean uninstall/reinstall? I may have to DDU the driver again and reinstall that too.

11 hours ago, rondon9898 said:

Thanks folks

I was running XP12 with a 1080 Ti, but not very well.  XP12 seems to demand much more vs 11 (which I also ran with my 1080 ti).  Please note for some reason Laminar have disabled the MSAA feature (I guess this is my opinion that they have disabled it - but MSAA is totally inop on my system and many others have reported the same).  FXAA works but it's still not great - so this is what I use.  Additionally, I have upgraded to a RTX 4080 because I was getting such poor perf with the 1080 Ti.  MSAA is still inop though.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

7 hours ago, rondon9898 said:

When you say “second instance”, do you mean uninstall/reinstall? I may have to DDU the driver again and reinstall that too.

Not uninstall at all. In the XP directory is an installer exe. Run that and one of the choices is to install another copy. you don't even have to re-type the serial number 🙂