Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

VC Cockpits

Hi AgainThis question refers to the POSKY 747 Airforce One. How does one go about getting a VC Cockpit to show up in the aircraft? I use FSX Delux. The same would apply to the 737-200 Air California Boeing.No vc with either of them. Cant really fly them too well using the 2d cockpit cause you cant see over it. I did try to put the textures from the POSKY 747 with one of the default 747's, but no joy as they say. Hope I put this in the right forum area.Thanks in advance for any help.Ernest

Guest christianholmes

You can't- the VC is part of the model, and if they didn't make one, it won't work. POSKY is only good for visuals outside the airplane- they are good if you like taking screenshots and stuff, but they're not meant to be flown by hardcore pilots unless you stick a really good 2D panel there- but what's the point?

They changed the way the interior/exterior models work in FSX. If a plane was modeled using the FSX methodology and exporter, you should be able to pair it with another VC. This is all theoretical, mind you, because I've not heard of it being done successfully yet. That doesn't mean it's not possible. Look in the FSX SimObjectsAirplanesb747_400model folder, for instance, and you'll see three files:B747_400.MDL (the exterior model)B747_400_interior.mdl (the VC)and the model.cfg file. Inside the model.cfg, you see these entries:normal=B747_400interior=B747_400_interiorSo in theory, if you had an FSX exterior model and wanted to add the default 747's VC, you'd add an "interior=" line to the Posky model.cfg, and point it to this B747_400_interior.mdl file. Having said all that, if the exterior model you're trying to add to wasn't compiled using the FSX exporter, all bets are off.That's the theory, anyway. ;-)

Thanks for your reply. I thought that might be the case. Oh well, perhaps someone will do one for fsx that will work.Ernest

Thank you.I'll get it a shot. Can't hurt to try right.Ernest

As Bill says, this will work with aircraft built with FSX specifications in mind, however POSKY aircraft is not, they were built for FS2004, so it won't work with their models. I believe the model needs to use bump maps for it to work. Personally I don't know why Aces set it up this way. Since you can fly an FSX style aircraft with just the interior model. (Just remove the normal exterior model line from the model.cfg file. You'll get the VC but not the external model) Aces could have set it up to only load the interior model in VC mode, and exterior model only in all other views, without tying them together. This would make it possible to use separate VC's in all aircraft not just FSX aircraft. I think it may have also been easier on performance that way also!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

>Personally I don't know why Aces set it up this way. If ACES could have "set it up" any other way, they would have. There are technical issues with using pre-FSX compiled models that prevent mixing-and-matching pre-FSX and FSX model files.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

>>Having said all that, if the exterior model you're trying to>add to wasn't compiled using the FSX exporter, all bets are>off.>>That's the theory, anyway. ;-)Lol Bill but the idea is nice :-)Andr

André

>>Personally I don't know why Aces set it up this way. >>If ACES could have "set it up" any other way, they>would have. There are technical issues with using pre-FSX>compiled models that prevent mixing-and-matching pre-FSX and>FSX model files.Ah, I see. So...with that in mind...is it/would it be possible to alias the FSX A321 VC to the FSX 747? ...if a person wanted to do that...is it possible? Both are FSX models, after all.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

>>>Personally I don't know why Aces set it up this way. >>>>If ACES could have "set it up" any other way, they>>would have. There are technical issues with using pre-FSX>>compiled models that prevent mixing-and-matching pre-FSX and>>FSX model files.>>Ah, I see. So...with that in mind...is it/would it be possible>to alias the FSX A321 VC to the FSX 747? ...if a person>wanted to do that...is it possible? Both are FSX models,>after all.>>>Rhett>Yes that can be done! being they are both FSX models. Of course you would have to move all the relevant texture and panel files of the A321 to the 747 folder. Basically you would copy the interior a321.mdl file to your 747 model folder. change the model.cfg to point to the interior a321 model and the 747 exterior model. Copy the A321 Panel folder into the 747 folder, and the VC and panel textures into the 747 texture folder for the livery you are using. I tried this with the 737 and the 747 and it worked just fine. I don't think you can actually alias the mdl's though, you need to copy them to the appropriate folders. My point above was it is possible to fly with the interior or external only just by removing the opposite line in the config. So if Aces was able to load the individual models separately in the appropriate views you could then do this with FS9 aircraft that doesn't currently have a VC interior model also, like Posky's. The only possible downside I can see is a possible performance issue when switching views. With the exception of the Level-D 767, aircraft loads pretty fast anyway, so that problem would be negligible. It was just a thought!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Cant really fly them too well using>the 2d cockpit cause you cant see over it. >ErnestShift+backspace for down Shift+Enter for up.

Dave Taylor gb.png

> Cant really fly them too well using>>the 2d cockpit cause you cant see over it. >>Ernest>>Shift+backspace for down>> Shift+Enter for up.Only in FS9 and prior versions!In FSX the controls for that are Shift-Q and Ctrl-Shift-Q for the 2d panel...The other key-combos only work in the VC view.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator