Sign in to follow this  
Bman2006

Default CRJ-700 NAV 2 Question

Hey all. It's rare that I get over to AVSIM to post a question but I have to turn for backup before I go crazy. I have finally made the transition to flying jets (or I am at least trying to) in a reasonable manner. I have spent years flying the prop planes and working on all aspects of navigation. Now that I jump in the CRJ I have hit a snag. I can not find the stinking NAV 1 / NAV 2 selector switch anywhere on thie plane. I am always stuck with the VOR 1 being displayed on the MFD. Am I missing something ? Where is it? I pressume that the course selector with automatically adjust the NAV 2 course once it's active. I know there has to be a NAV 2 / VOR 2 as the MFD show a blue selector arrow..Some one please say "Hey dummy, it's right here"Thanks in advance!Bman.

Benjamin Van Eps

As requested:"Hey dummy, it's right here":)

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

Boo. And I thought you had the answer. I was wainting for a topic reply. This is what I get, eh?By the way - today is your 1 year anniversary for being a member and this is what I get :)Bman.

Benjamin Van Eps

Hi Bman,On the lower left of both the 2D and the VC there is a small panel with the NAV/GPS mode switch on it. To the left of this small panel is a couple of small square switches which when pressed cycle through the display of their respective VOR needles. The top one is for VOR1 and the bottom one is for the blue VOR2 needle. If you can see the blue needle on the MFP then the needle is active and will track the station tuned into the NAV2 radio.I hope this helps.Mike.

Mike Beckwith

Thanks Mike.I get it now. As a follow up question, can I get the MFD to display the tracking in terms of DME etc? I can get it to track course VOR1 and GPS but can't get it to track VOR2... and another... how in the heck do I change the heading of the VOR2? It seems it really works more as a ADF unless there is a switch and I can change the course.and another... how are you suppose to learn about the cockpit of these default planes? Hunt and peck I guess. I have searched the FSX knowledge bank but can't seem to find these answers.Thanks againBman.

Benjamin Van Eps

The DME display for VOR1 is in the lower left corner of the PFD, and in the top left corner of the MFD. I can't find a switch to display the DME for VOR2, so maybe it's not there. As for setting the AP to follow the course indicated by VOR2, it can't be done. The AP can track either the GPS course or the course indicated by NAV1, but there's no mode for setting the AP to track either an NDB or VOR2. You have to follow these either manually or by setting the AP to follow a specified HDG. When you follow the course indicated by setting NAV2 in this way it functions very similar to following the course to an NDB, except that its range is usually much greater and you usually get DME which is something you don't get tracking an NDB.As for your last question, you'll probably learn more from simple trial and error than from from trying to find information in a book or something. Experimentation is very satisfying when eventually you solve a riddle which has puzzled you for some time. Just take your time and think about it. The Learning Centre is very informative but there's nothing like knowledge which comes from first hand experience.Good luck.Mike.

Mike Beckwith

Thanks again Mike. Ok - yeah, I finally deduced that I couldn't track VOR2 via AP. I thought for sure there was a way to change the course though. What was confusing me is that I am use to doing some dead-reckoning between two VORs and their respective distances to each beacon. Triangulate my exact location. I guess on a bigger plan this is not needed given either FMC or GPS nav aids on board.It just seems funny to include a second VOR (other than it's greater range) that you can't adjust for specific radials. Thanks again for your help-Bman.

Benjamin Van Eps