Sign in to follow this  
flyinion

VR noob getting stuck at 45fps Quest 2 4090

Sooo, not sure what I'm doing wrong here.  I've previously run this headset on Elite Dangerous with no issues with this, but haven't tried MSFS yet since I knew my old 2080 wouldn't run it after trying a G2 a year ago and having to send it back for fitment reasons.  I now have plenty of power to run it, but for some reason I'm getting capped at 45fps with brief jumps for about a second up to upper 50's (maybe higher but seeing like 57).  I have the refresh set to 90Hz in the Oculus app, and I disabled PC ASW in the debug tool but it's still acting like it's running ASW.  I'm using a VR Cover cable for link (the fiber optic one not the basic wired one).  It's definitely not lack of GPU power, it's sitting there at like 55% usasage while this is going on.  I feel like I'm missing something but not sure what.

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

Stop chasing FPS and concentrate instead on smoothness with realistic render settings.

There're people would kill for those fps!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Fizzelle said:

Stop chasing FPS and concentrate instead on smoothness with realistic render settings.

There're people would kill for those fps!

Seriously?  How is this helpful to a chap who's seeking assistance for what he believes is a technical problem? 🙄

• Like 2

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

5 minutes ago, odourboy said:

Seriously?  How is this helpful to a chap who's seeking assistance for what he believes is a technical problem? 🙄

I don't see your solution either. Instead you chose to chide me.

I’m assuming I have a wrong setting simply because I’ve seen Simhangar’s 4090 vr review with a similar powered cpu and the 4090 get 70+ fps on a G2 with the same kind of in sim graphics settings in places like New York and I was in a low stress area last night. 

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

Hi Flyinion. I'm presently using a 4090 and 5800x3d. I'm unable to get much beyond 45fps with my gfx settings particularly at large busy airports, and think it's pretty normal overall for similar systems. It's good enough to have ASW / reprojection on for 90fps without significant wobble and artefacts.   

Have you tried the keyboard shortcuts for switching between the oculus ASW modes to see if one works best?

1 hour ago, dogmanbird said:

Hi Flyinion. I'm presently using a 4090 and 5800x3d. I'm unable to get much beyond 45fps with my gfx settings particularly at large busy airports, and think it's pretty normal overall for similar systems. It's good enough to have ASW / reprojection on for 90fps without significant wobble and artefacts.   

Have you tried the keyboard shortcuts for switching between the oculus ASW modes to see if one works best?

I wasn't aware of shortcuts, I was just opening Oculus Debug Tool in the Oculus folder and turning it off there.  Just trying to figure out what's going on since I've seen YouTube channels showing 70+ FPS on a G2 so I don't know if it's an Oculus/Quest2 issue or I have a setting wrong somewhere.  Especially since it will be locked hard at 45fps then quickly spike up to upper 50's for a second or two then cap again.  That's using the Performance monitor that you can turn on in the Debug Tool, and the GPU is just pretty much sitting there with about 50-55% usage.  Not the usage I expected from a 4090 in VR.

On 1/22/2023 at 9:01 PM, flyinion said:

I wasn't aware of shortcuts, I was just opening Oculus Debug Tool in the Oculus folder and turning it off there.  Just trying to figure out what's going on since I've seen YouTube channels showing 70+ FPS on a G2 so I don't know if it's an Oculus/Quest2 issue or I have a setting wrong somewhere.  Especially since it will be locked hard at 45fps then quickly spike up to upper 50's for a second or two then cap again.  That's using the Performance monitor that you can turn on in the Debug Tool, and the GPU is just pretty much sitting there with about 50-55% usage.  Not the usage I expected from a 4090 in VR.

Looks like I'll have to do more testing.  I went back and re-watched Simhangar's initial video and looks like he was using DLSS Quality when he was getting 70's.  His more recent video he was getting around 45 with similar settings and TAA so I guess that's good to know.  That was in one of the airliners which is one of the things I was hoping the 4090 would allow me to use and it looks like that will be the case.  Last year with my old 2080 Super and a G2 I could barely get 30fps or so in the FBW in the exact same low detail area.  This would be totally usable now at 45 or so.  I just thought I had something wrong based on what I remembered from that video.  I still might, but we'll see with some more testing tomorrow night when I have time or over the weekend.

Sounds about right. I'm not using DLSS either as it makes the distant objects too blurry for me. 🙂

On 1/22/2023 at 5:12 PM, flyinion said:

I’m assuming I have a wrong setting simply because I’ve seen Simhangar’s 4090 vr review with a similar powered cpu and the 4090 get 70+ fps on a G2 with the same kind of in sim graphics settings in places like New York and I was in a low stress area last night. 

I've got a 4080 and I'm nowhere near 50 - I understand the 4090 is a bit more powerful.  Still what addons are they running?  Stock NYC or NYC with tons of addons (I use tons of addons haha).  I get about 30-35 fps with HIGH sliders in NYC and AI traffic...sometimes dips into the 20's if I also run heavy clouds etc.

If he's getting 70 fps with heavy addons AND TAA then yeah word not allowed - that's impressive.

And that's the big difference.  TAA vs DLSS3 in VR is huge for me.  Probably a 25% increase in performance using DLSS.  Glass is a bit blurrier so I tend to use 150% OXR render scale to compensate for the DLSS blur.

And another point - are you GPU or CPU limited?  You'd be surprised but I'm still CPU limited in heavy scenery like at FlyTampa BOS or Dreamflight TEB.  I've got a 12700K at 4.5GHz.

Edited by ryanbatc

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

On 1/25/2023 at 4:21 PM, ryanbatc said:

I've got a 4080 and I'm nowhere near 50 - I understand the 4090 is a bit more powerful.  Still what addons are they running?  Stock NYC or NYC with tons of addons (I use tons of addons haha).  I get about 30-35 fps with HIGH sliders in NYC and AI traffic...sometimes dips into the 20's if I also run heavy clouds etc.

If he's getting 70 fps with heavy addons AND TAA then yeah word not allowed - that's impressive.

And that's the big difference.  TAA vs DLSS3 in VR is huge for me.  Probably a 25% increase in performance using DLSS.  Glass is a bit blurrier so I tend to use 150% OXR render scale to compensate for the DLSS blur.

And another point - are you GPU or CPU limited?  You'd be surprised but I'm still CPU limited in heavy scenery like at FlyTampa BOS or Dreamflight TEB.  I've got a 12700K at 4.5GHz.

Yeah I'll be doing lots of testing this weekend to get it figured out.  I mentioned in my last post I was wrong and apparently he was using DLSS Quality mode in that video (can't use DLSS 3 with VR it's the 2D version of motion reprojection or the Quest 2's ASW).  I'm sure I'll be CPU limited in heavy areas with airliners especially, but that's one thing I'll be testing this weekend when I have time to sit down and mess with everything.  Right now I can run 2D mode with aircraft like Fenix or FBW at some fairly heavy areas and be mid-50's to solidly locked at the 60fps limit I set in Nvidia Control Panel for when in 2D mode.  I also just found a SU11 gpu settings tips video and will be trying a few of the tweaks in there (things like adjusting the latency mode in NVCP).  Also planning to go back through a settings guide that's in the official MSFS forum to refresh myself on what's CPU and what's GPU limited in the settings since I might have to keep the CPU limited settings at say medium but the 4090 should have the power to easily handle GPU limiting settings.  

Just that quick session the other night before I posted this though, I can tell that I should be ok in general vs if I tried to run this on my old 2080 Super.  I guess I was just expecting a bit more since I'd mis-remembered what was actually going on in that video.  Of course MSFS isn't the only thing I'll be doing for PC VR so either way I don't regret getting the 4090.  My 2D panel is a 3440x1440 ultrawide and I was highly amused that except for turning texture resolution from high to Ultra and volumetric clouds from high to Ultra with the rest of my settings left at their original mix of medium/high and a couple ultra's I set the render scale to 200% and it didn't even flinch on the FPS in 2D mode.  I figured that bodes well for high res HMD's.

17 minutes ago, flyinion said:

Right now I can run 2D mode with aircraft like Fenix or FBW at some fairly heavy areas and be mid-50's to solidly locked at the 60fps limit I set in Nvidia Control Panel for when in 2D mode. 

Don't forget to enable HAGS and use frame generation if running 2D.  You should get about double your numbers - you need to use something like MSI afterburner or Steam overlay to see actual fps though.  Neither shift+z stats or the MSFS Dev counter shows the true frames when using FG.  Oh and you can run either TAA or DLSS3 with FG.

Edited by ryanbatc

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

1 hour ago, ryanbatc said:

Don't forget to enable HAGS and use frame generation if running 2D.  You should get about double your numbers - you need to use something like MSI afterburner or Steam overlay to see actual fps though.  Neither shift+z stats or the MSFS Dev counter shows the true frames when using FG.  Oh and you can run either TAA or DLSS3 with FG.

I thought frame generation was DLSS3?  Also unfortunately frame generation requires DX12 which I know still has issues but hopefully it keeps coming along. I did turn on HAGS and the resizable BAR setting in BIOS as well though. I briefly tested frame generation the other night though and yeah that was crazy. 

4 minutes ago, flyinion said:

I thought frame generation was DLSS3?  Also unfortunately frame generation requires DX12 which I know still has issues but hopefully it keeps coming along. I did turn on HAGS and the resizable BAR setting in BIOS as well though. I briefly tested frame generation the other night though and yeah that was crazy. 

Dlss3 is not frame gen.  It's separate AI working at the driver level only for 40xx cards.  But yeah it does require dx12.  I haven't noticed any serious issues in 12.  Occasionally ground aerial imagery bleeds through the runway.  But basically you get triple digits fps 🙂

There is a downside though - if you're not using a gsysnc compatible monitor you can get some weird vsync artifacts.  I use a gysnc compatible monitor but not a native gsysnc one (those cost quite a bit) so when the fps drops below a certain threshold (some value well below 144 fps/hz) I get flickers in clouds or dark scenes.

So while there are tradeoffs I can basically run complex payware with AI and heavy weather and still get like 70-100 fps depending on location and aircraft.  It can be hard to notice the difference between say 40 fps (FG disabled) and 80 (FG enabled) - but I still use Track IR and this is where the 80 fps is incredible.

Then of course dlss3 in VR is a huge help...but if you're using glass cockpits you may want to use 150 render scaling in Open XR.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

On 1/26/2023 at 6:55 PM, ryanbatc said:

Then of course dlss3 in VR is a huge help

I assume that you really meant dlss here, i.e. dlss 2.  AFAIK dlss 3/frame generation isn't available in VR yet.  If it was, imagine pegging a G2 at 90 fps...VR heaven. 

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)