Sign in to follow this  
Paul_Yorks

iFly 747

Congratulations to the four gentlemen who have created the freeware iFly 747-400 just posted in the AVSIM library.They may just put PMDG out of business on this aircraft!My initial flights have been excellent - and systems are very complete.The 300 plus page manual is a real bonus too.I just need to sort out some SIDS and STARS for Australian airports and all will be well with FSX flying for mine.Ron

So far, i can tell you it is very close, panels are clear and looks comlete altugh just installed the bird an load it once to check.I did not fly it yet so cannot tell about fmc or flight dynamics...Thanks a lot and kudos to developpers!Alain:-wave :-beerchug

It's better than good, Have YOU tried it yet? Seems to be an improvement on the FS2004 just tried it EDDF to EGKK worked great. Well done and many thanks to the developers for a excellent job. More sids & stars will come then maybe who needs to pay for the other one.

Paul EGLD

I agree it looks good. Glad to have a functional 747 in FSX. My only problem has been a CTD when trying to make changes to a flightplan in the FMC.

Having used the iFly 747 several times now, I must say there needs to be some work done on the FMC ... it is very intolerant of any mistakes in data entry etc.. and just crashes FSX. That gets a bit tiresome.Once you manage to get a clean FMC load, it is certainly a joy to fly!Ron

iFly Team,Thank you for a wonderful add-on; this is truly an amazing aircraft. The level of quality and detail is top notch.Regards,Bob

I also am pleased with what I've seen so far. Having heard dire tales of the FS9 version being a frame-rate hog, I've been gratified to see the 2D-panel version easily hitting my locked maximum of 20 FPS. Granted, going to the full-boat version with VC and cabin drops the FPS to 12-15 when in VC mode on my machine, but it's still perfectly usable (and it goes right back to 20 FPS when you toggle the 2D panel).Of course, one of the main appeals is the price. And the nice thing about a price-tag of 0.00 is that it really doesn't matter if the developers suddenly change the currency from dollars to euros! :-lol

James David Walley

Ryzen 7 7700X, 32 GB, RTX 3080

Guest jl999

Way to go iFly team. Thanks for the freeware.

Guest mz-cd

Hi all, I have installed the 747 having followed all the instructions but only get the 2D panel. No VC and no wing or interior views.Help please?.Also this to the developers, could we please have a sample flight using the FMC. I have read the manual but am unable to translate this into actual use. OR can anyone help me with this?But yes a great model.RegardsRichard

Guest tcable

It's quite good. PMDG is the gold standard and this is incredibly close, especially for freeware.My issues so far:No weights in lbs. All weights (FMC and panels) are in kilos even on a system configured for lbs! This is close to a showstopper for me. I kept trying to put in a ZFW of 550k lbs and getting an 'invalid entry' on the CDU. Then I put it together. 200k was accepted (but not he correct weight)Fuel loading is a pain due to the tank structure. Not automatic like the real thing or PMDG :( Not a major deal just yet. A learning curve issue.Engine start- I have to turn on then OFF the starters to get the engines to light off in autostart (have not tested manual start yet). They should crank when the fuel lever is to run, then automatically disengage the starters at the proper time. They are not disengaging for me.The CDU is very slick. A+ there if not for the kilos vs lbs issue.I highly recommend it even WITH the issues.

Guest mluo

>It's quite good. PMDG is the gold standard and this is>incredibly close, especially for freeware.>>My issues so far:>>No weights in lbs. All weights (FMC and panels) are in kilos>even on a system configured for lbs! This is close to a>showstopper for me. I kept trying to put in a ZFW of 550k lbs>and getting an 'invalid entry' on the CDU. Then I put it>together. 200k was accepted (but not he correct weight)>Actually there is since SP2. You can find the setting in CDU->MENU->SIMU.>Fuel loading is a pain due to the tank structure. Not>automatic like the real thing or PMDG :( Not a major deal just>yet. A learning curve issue.>In real world, fuel loading is ALWAYS conducted in a painful way. There is no such thing as "automatic like the real thing"... >Engine start- I have to turn on then OFF the starters to get>the engines to light off in autostart (have not tested manual>start yet). They should crank when the fuel lever is to run,>then automatically disengage the starters at the proper time.>They are not disengaging for me.>I think there is misconception. You might need to read (real B744 operating manual) about the meaning of "autostart".

Guest D17S

Has anyone found the sidstar database that works here. The PMDG AIRAC files dropped right in and worked fine. However PMDG's sidstars are kept in a single 'sidstar' folder. iFly's sids and stars are setup in separate folders. I tried a couple PIC sidstars from Planepath, but the fmc would not recognize them. Anyone cracked the code? So far, the darn thing looks pretty good! Still can't get a V-cockpit, though. Any tricks?

>So far, the darn thing looks pretty good! Still can't get a>V-cockpit, though. Any tricks? I found that in order to get the VC I had to select the correct variant of the aircraft. In the aircraft selection screen, check the "Show all variations" box and you'll see the versions with VC, cabin models etc.What I really want to know is: are the carpets really that garish in a real 747?? :)Colin

Guest D17S

Thanks. That's the deal. I prefer my rollertrays and beartraps to carpet. Easier to maintain. Don't have to deal with all those pesky pax either. Just ran an approach to LAX. My system was a bit overwhelmed with 5 FPS over the threshold in the Vcockpit. The AFS was kicking 'round between vertical modes when it shouldn't have and there were some little things during the approach sequence, but generally it was all there. What a pleasure to finally get to fly a 'real' PFD/ND in FSX. This'll just have to do 'till PMDG releases.Any good guesses on what SidStar package iFly uses . . . if any?