Sign in to follow this  
McCrash

ACES - Please speed up Select Aircraft screen !!

This is a plea to Phil Taylor and his team to make a small modification in SP2 to the workings of the Select Aircraft screen.We simmers just love to add new aircraft and repaints (payware & freeware) to our hangers in FSX. However, in order to display all the variants, one needs to check the "Show all variant" checkbox. However, having done so, this checkbox is then always set, so that whenever one makes a new selection to change an aircraft, it takes an unnecessary amount of time for the selection screen to display.Surely it would be much better, to ONLY display the initial texture for each aircraft per [fltsim.0] in the Aircraft.cfg (i.e. as if the box was unchecked), and then having selected the specific aircraft, one could enable the checkbox, BUT only to display the variants for the selected aircraft. The checkbox would not remain ticked, such that when next going to select an aircraft the initial dispaly would be that much quicker.Alternatively, revert back to the manner in which FS9 operated with text dropdown boxes to select manufacturer, aircraft and then the varient.It is extremely frustrating having to wait for several minutes whenever one wishes to change the aircraft.Please please please, do something to improve this area.Regards,Stuart

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

Hey, that's my time to get up and grab a coldie! Usually it works out just right being that the beer fridge is in the garage :DNo really, that is a good suggestion. I'd be up for that.

I think that's a good idea. I would have to think it through some but it sounds good.Have you sent this to the tell_fs email address? Phil T. is on vacation so it might be better to send it to the tell_fs address.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I doubt we'll see any change here as this would be a UI rewrite. But I agree, I don't like the system as it is. It is a step in the right direction, but needs some help.1. When you select an aircraft, there should be a button to just expand that aircraft to see all the variants. Using the filters above is just too much of a pain. And, as noted above, I don't want to see all the planes, just all the variants of the plane I've chosen.2. The other change I would like to see would be to allow multiple ui_typeroles for any aircraft, so, for instance, I could put a beaver in both amphibious and single engine prop. Or I could put a P-51 in single engine prop, military, WWII, fighter. Then have 3 different pulldowns for type so I can mix and match different combinations of types.3. Remember the filter setting so that next time I go back in, the menu looks the same.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

>I doubt we'll see any change here as this would be a UI>rewrite. But I agree, I don't like the system as it is. It>is a step in the right direction, but needs some help.>>1. When you select an aircraft, there should be a button to>just expand that aircraft to see all the variants. Using the>filters above is just too much of a pain. And, as noted>above, I don't want to see all the planes, just all the>variants of the plane I've chosen.>Agreed!! One similar idea I have had is that there could be some sort of tree-type system, where you could expand the tree to see the other variants of the chosen aircraft...RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

I had not sent it to tell_fs email. I'm not aware of the email address - what is it? Happy to send email accordingly and link to this thread - unless someone else wishes to do so.Cheers,Stuart

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

How many seconds does this add to selecting the aircraft you want?

>I had not sent it to tell_fs email. I'm not aware of the>email address - what is it? Happy to send email accordingly>and link to this thread - unless someone else wishes to do>so.>>Cheers,>StuartI think it is tell_fs@microsoft.com but I am not sure about that.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

Did any of you ever use Jacky Brouze's JAB98 program?It was for FS98 and it *really* allowed good control of the aircraft stable.Something like that...two panes, tree view on left, etc. might be nice to see for the UI.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

For me it's not really the TIME it takes but rather the way the various aircraft are displayed. I think it could be done in a better way as far as the UI goes.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

Thw OP referred to "unnecessary amount of time". I wanted to know how long this is. Surey some complainer musr know?

>Thw OP referred to "unnecessary amount of time". I wanted to>know how long this is. Surey some complainer musr know?heheh. I don't complain about the time it takes to load them all. I am used to the old days when it took 5 minutes to load Windows. Maybe the OP likes instant gratification, I don't know.I think if different Select Aircraft schemes were done, like a tree view which only loaded the active tree, that would speed things up. It wouldn't be scanning the whole /SimObjects dir each time.Kind of like what JAB98 did.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

Guest SkyDrift

Stuart - Since Acceleration is already in beta (http://blogs.technet.com/p-12c_pilot/default.aspx), I very much doubt that you will see this happen in SP2 as this would not be a "small modification" but a significant change to the UI (at least from a dev+test perspective). I'll guess that the UI will be totally overhauled in the next version of the sim to take advantage of DX10, plus potentially a better MP interface and also more on-line options than just pointing to FSInsider, so that is when you would see any change to UI components.I do agree with you that the current system is not scalable. The more aircraft variants you add, the longer it takes to load - very frustrating when you have 100's of variants. I now choose to operate on a one-in, one-out system. Every time I add a new aircraft/variant, one older model/variant folder is manually moved into a external folder so as not to increase load times any further.- SkyDrift

>Good idea!I think it's dumb having all the aircraft thumbnails showing.