Sign in to follow this  
rhodges

Uninstalling SP1 - any side effects on add-ons?

Guest Hawk78

Hi,I have to uninstall SP1 (not FSX, just the update), and reinstall it in order to get that SimConnect thing working properly for Active Sky X. How does this affect other FSX additions I've got installed so on?I've currently got UTX USA, XGraphics, VFR Photoscenery (N. England) and the SF260 installed, as well as some freeware patches/textures/updates.I'm scared of messing it all up!Aleks

Aleks,I don't have those specific addons installed, but in general I would assume it would be important to follow these steps:- uninstall ALL addons- uninstall SP1- reboot- reinstall SP1- reinstall all addons- re-patch addons as neededOthers may have more specific advice.Jon

Guest triangle

Actually, I have uninstalled SP1 several times for SimConnect reasons without touching any addons and no problems following the reinstall. Can't guarantee your mileage won't vary but it's been a simple uninstall/reinstall with no problems every time at my end.Andrew

At the very least addons like Vancouver+, UTX and Megascenery that alter the terrain.cfg file will be affected by reinstalling SP1. You could try repair/restore functions available with each of those addons, after reinstalling SP1, but personally a clean reinstall is the way I'd go.Jon

My question is, how did you uninstall SP1? I do not remember whether there is a simple uninstall function in the MSXP control panel options or not. I would like a refresher to this old memory before I even install SP1 again. My assumption is that with no other addons at all, if things begin to smell bad after installing SP1 this time, by uninstalling it I might be back to go again. If everything else worked, I might just forget SP1 if it is the mother of unacceptable blurries on my system.I just started over with a clean format and virgin installation of XPPro and everything else.I reinstalled FS9 with my multitude of addons for scenery, textures, aircraft and utilities. It was tempting to just stop there with the results of flawless flight at high frame rates. It was a pleasure to fly hassle free after some trauma with fSX. However I feel that I have too much time and $$ invested to just bury FSX. Ultimate traffic and Terrain for FSX has spoiled me a bit as well (If I ever find the spot where textures are stable and stay reasonably sharp throughout flight, particularly roads.)My intentions are to run with no modifications or addons for a week or so to confirm stability. Then I will make my first modification, probably adding SP1 and fly long enough to find out what I've got. Then I will add another addon and repeat the process, then add another for a week or so, then another, another, etc.etc. My aim is to see what developes good and bad, primarily to find when and where blurries come to pass as that has been the greatest bad guy in the past for me with my previous installation. In fact, this is really the only bad guy of significance, but it can be so bad sometimes that it negates any pleasure with the program. Having FSX from when it first came out, I don't know exactly where things went bad, but they seemed to progressively get worse as time went by.At the moment with a virgin installation blurries are at a minimum and I don't think I would even notice anything if it wsan't for the bad experiences before I reinstalled. I am watching in a way that I would not be doing if it was not for past evolution.A purely default installation surprises me in a good way with the exception that frame rates are a bit below what I remember having previous to starting over. SP1 may be the difference here best I remember, but I hope the blurries don't reappear, or I may stop there, try to step back (or give up, which I doubt).Later, I will add a post, and then reply periodically with the results of what I find with each progressive step. I sincerely hope that this helps me, and possibly might be of aid to someone else.Thanks for the post.Respectfully:RTH

Aleks,First, to uninstall SP1 go to the Control Panel and select Add or Remove Software. Make sure the little check box at the top of the dialog box is checked - Show All Updates. Select SP1 and wait - it takes a while to uninstall.Next, SP1 affects mostly scenery packages. A large number of packages have version-specific install routines and when you add SP1 the installers no longer work. This is especially true of Cloud9 packages. There are some minor scenery problems but most developers have upgraded their products to support SP1.I haven't seen a SP1 aircraft problem thus far.FrankFSX BETA Tester