Sign in to follow this  
Jonmal

Jets shutdown in flight

Hello. Flying the Citation CJ4 stock jet on PC with Saitek X52 pro. On a 300 mile flight the engines just shut down short of the destination. Any help appreciated. 

John

34 minutes ago, Jonmal said:

Hello. Flying the Citation CJ4 stock jet on PC with Saitek X52 pro. On a 300 mile flight the engines just shut down short of the destination. Any help appreciated. 

John

Try to Land ASAP!

If possible set 7500 on your Transponder, and talk to the active freq issuing a MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY, but above all, try to land the aircraft safely!

Whish you good luck!

Edited by cagarini
  • Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Never flown the stock jet, surprised anyone used it!

First guess would be fuel though, not even sure what the stock was capable of - but doubt it was realistic.

On the plus side the stock jet will be a completely different beast within about a week!

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

6 hours ago, Gazzareth said:

Never flown the stock jet, surprised anyone used it!

First guess would be fuel though, not even sure what the stock was capable of - but doubt it was realistic.

On the plus side the stock jet will be a completely different beast within about a week!

G

Wow! Don't know how to reply to insight like this.

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

15 minutes ago, Twenty6 said:

Wow! Don't know how to reply to insight like this.

You need not have bothered really, at least I included a suggestion and other pertinent information. 

G

1 hour ago, Gazzareth said:

You need not have bothered really

It was no bother. Are you even remotely aware that Working Title has been working on the default CJ4 about as long as MSFS2020 has been available for sale. August, 2020, if I remember correctly. It is hardly a "stock" plane and hasn't been since their team started working on it. It's also the reason they're now working alongside Asobo on MSFS2020.

You haven't bothered to fly it, and surprised anyone would, and then claim it will be a "beast" within a week. Still can't figure out how to reply to that, and can only suggest you take the time to look into the CJ4 as it stands right now. It's already a beast and has been for countless version updates. Their refresh, which I believe you're referring to "within a week", is due out soon and should raise the bar even higher.

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

48 minutes ago, Twenty6 said:

It was no bother. Are you even remotely aware that Working Title has been working on the default CJ4 about as long as MSFS2020 has been available for sale. August, 2020, if I remember correctly. It is hardly a "stock" plane and hasn't been since their team started working on it. It's also the reason they're now working alongside Asobo on MSFS2020.

You haven't bothered to fly it, and surprised anyone would, and then claim it will be a "beast" within a week. Still can't figure out how to reply to that, and can only suggest you take the time to look into the CJ4 as it stands right now. It's already a beast and has been for countless version updates. Their refresh, which I believe you're referring to "within a week", is due out soon and should raise the bar even higher.

You seem to have entirely missed the concept of  "stock", so I will try and help.

Stock means it comes with the Sim, the pure and unmodified default aircraft, that is what the OP asked about. If he was asking about the WT CJ4, then I am sure he would have omitted stock and added what version he was asking about. To use anything else would be a conscious choice and be highly recommended though - be it the WT Mod OR the AAU1 Beta (the "Refresh" as a term was ditched in December when AAU1 was announced and entered into Beta) according to Matt at Working Title it *should* be released this month, when it does both the current stock CJ4 and the existing WT CJ4 will cease to exist, as will the current default Longitude & TBM, and their mods for that matter.

All 3 aircraft are effectively replaced in AAU1 and are far more capable than the current default or modded aircraft.

G

Edit: Just FYI I have been flying the WT CJ4 since May 21, just ditched it for the AAU version.

Edited by Gazzareth

All that aside, let's try to help OP more. It could be fuel, but that would seem odd. If OP were unaware of needing to check fuel, then they'd probably just go with the default 50% load that MSFS starts all flights with. And if they had 50% fuel, they should be good for over 1,000 miles, not just 300.  Maybe if you flew very low with gear and flaps extended so you could keep the throttle pushed up farther, you might be able to cut the range to 300 miles, but I don't know why OP would do that.

I more suspect that there's a control that's getting activated and which is linked to fuel shutoff. My first step would be to go into the controls panel and make sure anything that cuts the fuel is not assigned to anything on the X52. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eslader said:

All that aside, let's try to help OP more. It could be fuel, but that would seem odd. If OP were unaware of needing to check fuel, then they'd probably just go with the default 50% load that MSFS starts all flights with. And if they had 50% fuel, they should be good for over 1,000 miles, not just 300.  Maybe if you flew very low with gear and flaps extended so you could keep the throttle pushed up farther, you might be able to cut the range to 300 miles, but I don't know why OP would do that.

I more suspect that there's a control that's getting activated and which is linked to fuel shutoff. My first step would be to go into the controls panel and make sure anything that cuts the fuel is not assigned to anything on the X52. 

I had thought about that, but discounted it because the OP had not asked about it occurring when he pressed / adjusted something. Turns out that there can be an issue where returning from pause can change the engines from RUN to STOP if you have a mixture binding, although guess it could also shut off if you have it on an analogue axis and there is any noise on it.

There is a known issue present on the WT CJ4 (not sure if it occurs on the stock) where fuel consumption goes through the roof leading to engine shutdown - but seems rare.

G

Good thoughts, those are definite possibilities. I also thought it might be a simple case of a noisy button on the controller sending uncommanded signals. I know when I finally retired my great old Saitek X45, a couple of the buttons were getting to be as glitchy as the worn out pots.