Sign in to follow this  
Fielder

Wristwatch always fail...

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Also, whenever I want to check the date, the time is almost always quarter past the hour.

Dugald Walker

1 hour ago, dmwalker said:

Also, whenever I want to check the date, the time is almost always quarter past the hour.

Isn't that the truth.

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

I never wear a wrist watch or any kind of jewelry or bling.  Not even my wedding ring.  I carry a pocket watch.  I hate having to wear jewelry.

When I was in the service I carried my dog tags in my pocket.  I was often told by NCOs to put them around my neck.  As soon as they were out of sight they went back in my pocket.  After I made master sergeant it never became an issue anymore.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

The date window on my wife's watch is 1/16" square. I have to wear two pairs of glasses to read it.

Dugald Walker

13 hours ago, Fielder said:

Date digits window always too small

And date digit almost always off: no bigger nuisance than readjusting date and hour every short month. Luckily one of my 3 watches can readjust date independently of time, and another one is a so-called smart one...

Edited by Luis Hernandez

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@23-144 Hz (locked at 120 Hz, FreeSync ON), Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4.

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

11 hours ago, birdguy said:

I never wear a wrist watch or any kind of jewelry or bling

I'm the same. The time is on my phone. 

1 hour ago, martin-w said:

The time is on my phone.

So is the day and date.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

1 hour ago, birdguy said:

So is the day and date.

Noel

And an internet full of naked ladies... but I never look at them. 😏

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, martin-w said:

but I never look at them

Chorus: What, never?
Captain: No, never!
Chorus: What, never?
Captain.: Hardly ever!

(HMS Pinafore - Gilbert and Sullivan)

Edited by dmwalker
  • Like 1

Dugald Walker

15 hours ago, birdguy said:

I never wear a wrist watch or any kind of jewelry or bling.  Not even my wedding ring.  I carry a pocket watch.  I hate having to wear jewelry.

When I was in the service I carried my dog tags in my pocket. 

Same here.  I don't like wearing jewelry, even rings.

I got into the habit of taking off my wedding ring in the service because safety regs required you to remove any rings, bracelets, necklaces, etc. before working on equipment.  They showed us pictures of guys who lost a finger when their ring got caught on something.

Dave

Edited by dave2013

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

6 hours ago, martin-w said:

I'm the same. The time is on my phone. 

I no longer wear a wristwatch mainly because the expandable band is too long and my watch spins in circles around my wrist. Although my smart phone has the date, time, temperature and current weather, that hasn't stopped me from looking at my left wrist to see what time it is. It's hard to stop a 60-year habit! 🤣

• Like 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

23 hours ago, birdguy said:

Not even my wedding ring. 

Me too, but that's more to do with a couple of divorces....

Watches are certainly going the way of the land-line etc, when I last went to get the battery replaced at the local mall I watched (no pun intended) the people passing by, no-one under 40 wore a watch. A few years ago some kids stopped me in the street and asked for the time, they were amazed at this weird device on my wrist! Still, it makes sense that they are on the way out, our phones can do all that and much more, I just like the disconnect where I can keep the phone in my pocket when I'm out and about.

My favourite for the last 20+ years was a gift from Microsoft, as part of the MVP program, I like that it has a tech-giant logo on the back, but only tells the time:) Oh, and the date, but I don't think I'd ever rely on that, I still reach for my phone when I need to know what day it is. 

I remember in the early 70s someone where I worked had a watch band calendar as shown below. He would get a set for each year and attach each month in turn to his watch band:

watchband_calendar.jpg

Dugald Walker

9 hours ago, toprob said:

Watches are certainly going the way of the land-line etc, when I last went to get the battery replaced at the local mall I watched (no pun intended) the people passing by, no-one under 40 wore a watch

The reason to wear a wrist watch these days is to show off because you have loads of dosh and wear a Rolex. 😏