Sign in to follow this  
Benbo

New to MSFS.

Hi Guys,

Im totaly new to MSFS(purchased yesterday and downloaded over night).I have a few questions if you guys could help.

I have flown FSX and P3D for years using the space bar and mouse to look around the cockpit is this possible to do in MSFS,cant get used to the right mouse button.

Secondly,how to you turn off that annoying voice when in the options.

Thirdly,what settings would you recomend for my system.

I711700K

RTX3060 12 GB

32GB Ram@3200

1TB SSD

Windows 10 pro.

Any advice or help would be really appreciated,im like a duck out of water at the moment,after years and years of FSX and P3D

With Thanks

Gary Jones.

• Like 2

Hello, for the view you can either hold down the mouse button and pan around with your mouse or right click to toggle panning around.

The camera system took a bit of getting used to when I moved from P3D but it actually works quite well overall.  

On performance I think you’ll find you can run quite good settings, maybe start with the high preset and adjust from there.  Like P3D, it will depend on where you are, addons used, aircraft you’re flying etc but generally performance in MSFS is quite good.

Edited by regis9
  • Like 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

1 hour ago, Benbo said:

Hi Guys,

Im totaly new to MSFS(purchased yesterday and downloaded over night).I have a few questions if you guys could help.

I have flown FSX and P3D for years using the space bar and mouse to look around the cockpit is this possible to do in MSFS,cant get used to the right mouse button.

Secondly,how to you turn off that annoying voice when in the options.

Thirdly,what settings would you recomend for my system.

I711700K

RTX3060 12 GB

32GB Ram@3200

1TB SSD

Windows 10 pro.

Any advice or help would be really appreciated,im like a duck out of water at the moment,after years and years of FSX and P3D

With Thanks

Gary Jones.

Right mouse button: Yes, you can (get used to it)! 🙂 I got used to it within a few hours.

Your system is comparable to mine (10700K, 2080 super), but your GPU is a bit slower. I would recommend "High" settings, DLSS at "quality" (if 4K or similar, you didn't mention your screen resolution) and then experiment with "Terrain Level Of Detail" (TLOD). This setting is by far the most important for a smooth experience. With Riva Tuner Statistics Server (comes with msi Afterburner) you can easily check GPU memory usage. You have 12 GB, I suppose, which is wonderful. Just check that usage is not too near those 12 GB, because when GPU memory gets full, you most likely get stutters. Try TLOD 150 and if that works you can try higher settings. With complex airliners at big airports you might have to go down to 100 or so. With High settings you get a great visual experience. Ultra trees or clouds can be too taxing, but with small planes in the bush this might just be a little bit more exciting.

If you are used to fly airliners and didn't like low and slow with P3D, I highly recommend a small taildragger for a bit of bush flying in California or elsewhere. This is at least very relaxing.

Edited by crimplene

Thanks for the replies guys,im running a 2K monitor if that makes any difference to the settings,i really cant get used to right mouse button to pan around the cockpit,is there any way to change it to space bar and mouse.

Thanks 

Gary

With 2k you can always try ultra settings. If that's not smooth enough you can set trees and clouds to "high" and experiment with a lower TLOD. If you use TLAA instead of DLSS you will probably be ok with a render scaling of 100 but can try 90. Shouldn't look too bad and might give some extra frames. But DLSS always will be faster.

If you have stutters check if Live Traffic is on or off (in the Data Settings). I have it off always and use FSLTL which gives a much better experience. https://www.fslivetrafficliveries.com/

Im really a little unsure about MSFS,granted the graphics are out of this world,likes ive never seen in flight sim before,but there are a few things that i have issues with,one is the brightness outside of the cockpit clouds and sun seems so bright i cant see or make out the clouds,bloom is turned off but still way way to bright.

The brightness is based on where the sim thinks you're looking. If it thinks you're head down in the cockpit it will increase the brightness to attempt to mimic how our eyes dilate when we're looking at things in lower-lighting. 

I'd suggest going a different route to solve the looking around thing. Get a head tracker. A lot of people like TrackIR5, but it's expensive and IMO, the Delanclip wireless tracker is better, both in price and functionality.  It would give the sim a better idea of where your head is actually looking for the brightness issue, and it will also make flying much more realistic as you can just... Look at stuff rather than having to futz with buttons and the mouse to maintain situational awareness. 

Try HDR if your monitor is capable. That solves it. Oh, and don't turn bloom off. Bloom really does make the sun look much more realistic.

Edited by crimplene

2 hours ago, Benbo said:

Im really a little unsure about MSFS,granted the graphics are out of this world,likes ive never seen in flight sim before,but there are a few things that i have issues with,one is the brightness outside of the cockpit clouds and sun seems so bright i cant see or make out the clouds,bloom is turned off but still way way to bright.

You may find that your experience is better if you calibrate your display with this,  https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/windows-hdr-calibration/9N7F2SM5D1LR

Edited by Waldo Pepper

3 hours ago, Benbo said:

Thanks for the replies guys,im running a 2K monitor if that makes any difference to the settings,i really cant get used to right mouse button to pan around the cockpit,is there any way to change it to space bar and mouse.

Thanks 

Gary

The best possible advice to you as new here:  don't rush it--there is a lot to learn!  Your past experience will help hugely, but things are different in spots.  Cameras are slightly hard to understand as well as setting up controls but these are easily figured out if you simply take your time!

You'll have no trouble running all Ultra except for Terrain LOD--this one impacts the CPU main thread by far more than anything else and your GPU should largely handle it.  If you're focused on the highest frame rate be aware this is not necessary for ultra smooth flight at the highest settings on your 2K screen:  is it Gsync capable?  If it is I will refer you to this which has been a holy grail for me coming from decades in FSX/P3D:  

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/628655-ultimate-smoothness-at-modest-frame-rates/?do=findComment&comment=4899096

HDR on my new Gsync/HDR capable display is much too unnatural on this display and I've tried to make peace with it.  What I strongly recommended is using Geforce Experience's filters, in particular the Detail filter.  I can attest GE has zero impact on performance or smoothness of animation.  The key is balancing in-cockpit brightness with exterior brightness.  Here's what it will look like when you use this filter plus adjust desktop color settings in NV Control Panel:spacer.png

Best Wishes and did I mention, take your time getting acquainted it's an unbelievably capable sim that continues to improve.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

11 minutes ago, Noel said:

The best possible advice to you as new here:  don't rush it--there is a lot to learn!  Your past experience will help hugely, but things are different in spots.  Cameras are slightly hard to understand as well as setting up controls but these are easily figured out if you simply take your time!

You'll have no trouble running all Ultra except for Terrain LOD--this one impacts the CPU main thread by far more than anything else and your GPU should largely handle it.  If you're focused on the highest frame rate be aware this is not necessary for ultra smooth flight at the highest settings on your 2K screen:  is it Gsync capable?  If it is I will refer you to this which has been a holy grail for me coming from decades in FSX/P3D:  

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/628655-ultimate-smoothness-at-modest-frame-rates/?do=findComment&comment=4899096

HDR on my new Gsync/HDR capable display is much too unnatural on this display and I've tried to make peace with it.  What I strongly recommended is using Geforce Experience's filters, in particular the Detail filter.  I can attest GE has zero impact on performance or smoothness of animation.  The key is balancing in-cockpit brightness with exterior brightness.  Here's what it will look like when you use this filter plus adjust desktop color settings in NV Control Panel:spacer.png

Best Wishes and did I mention, take your time getting acquainted it's an unbelievably capable sim that continues to improve.

Thanks for that advice it its really good of you,my monitor is both Vsync and Gsync capable,i think overtime i could get used to the controls,its just the brightness of the sun, its just so overwheling i cant see a thing its that bright.Where will i find these Geforce filters,i have both Nvidia control panel and Geforce Experience

Thanks,

Gary

Open GeForce experience and turn on the overlays. Then, pressing Alt-F3 should open the filters that Noel mentions above. Press the + button there and you can then add the filters you desire. I find the most useful are the brightness filter (exposure, contrast, and gamma), the details filter (adjust sharpness and clarity settings), and color ( adjust tint and temperature to your liking). Those 3 filters should enable you to tune your display and achieve better results than default. Good luck.

Rich

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Benbo said:

Thanks for that advice it its really good of you,my monitor is both Vsync and Gsync capable,i think overtime i could get used to the controls,its just the brightness of the sun, its just so overwheling i cant see a thing its that bright.Where will i find these Geforce filters,i have both Nvidia control panel and Geforce Experience

Thanks,

Gary

You are in very good shape then, performance-wise.  You can bring up the GF filters by hitting Alt F3, I believe that is the default key for this.  Find Detail, open its drop down options panel and play with those.  There are other filters but I've been good w/ just the one, fine-tuned.  And again, you can go back to NVCP and edit Desktop Colors and once set you should be good to go.

Those feelings of 'overwhelming' can be tamed by accepting the fact you're very new even though it may seem like you ought to be able to do X and guaranteed you will get there.  I have been at this hobby for 30y and this sim never ceases to impress.  I immediately, as did many others, begin purchasing 3rd party airports because it was immediately apparent the basic visuals/lighting/weather are so compelling it's worth support!  After all, I did this for 30y, well for the past 15 or so, buying $100's and $100's for FSX then P3D.  Within a few weeks of flying I realized the default airports are miles better than what P3D offered, and really haven't purchased but a couple more over the past two years.  Mainly, for night-lighting which many simpler default airports don't offer.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

13 minutes ago, Benbo said:

its just the brightness of the sun, its just so overwhelming i cant see a thing its that bright.

In the real world you would put on your sunglasses in that situation... Suggest clicking on the little cloud icon on the top bar and adjusting the time of day a bit.. just slide the time slider until the sun does not shine into your eyes.

Unlike P3D, you can do this in real time. 🙂

Bert