Sign in to follow this  
Tabs

Help needed with Nhancer settings/shimmering

I still have problems with my configuration to get rid of shimmering effects.I used Nhancer and tried a lot of possibilities and follow the advices/settings on the topics but I still see shimmering effects, even when the MipBias=6 (tried 4-8 also) line is added to the FSX.cfg file.The best results I achieved is with Combined/8 or16x AF and 8S or 16S but these last two settings are bringing my system to his knees and unworkable. My system (E6750 + 2Gb 800 DDR2 on a P35 board) is fast enough but my GPU is a middle class NV 7600GT so these high AA settings are killing the overall performance and still NOT eliminate the shimmering effect for the full 100%.While panning in spot view mode on a detailed airport or taxing and looking thru the VC window I see the lines on the taxiways in front of me with a shimmering or say stroboscopic effect. Also glass windows in the buildings and vehicles are very restless etc.Have anyone a clue to solve this or will the final answer will be, go for a better GPU that can handle 16AA and 16AF

There's really no other way except getting a better graphics card unfortunately. The 7600 just doesn't have the horsepower and pixel pipes to run the supersampling AA modes.It's not really running "higher" AA per se that eliminates the shimmering, it's what kind of AA it is. The standard AA on both Nvidia and ATI cards is what's known as multisampling AA and it does not apply AA to the full scene, but rather only to the edges of actual polygons being rendered by the card. The supersampling modes are different and actually work by rendering the whole scene twice, once at the display resolution and once at a higher resolution - it uses that information then to create the AA effect. This AA's everything on the screen including all the alpha textures and stuff that multisampling misses. Obviously though, the card has to do a ton of extra work for this to happen and that's why you see the performance loss on all but the top end stuff. My 7800GTX does 8XS pretty well but will slow to a crawl on the pure supersampling modes. Hopefully the new GF9 cards coming out in December will be able to do them with no hit...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com