Sign in to follow this  
RandallR

I'm getting really tired of this...

For a couple of years now, FS2020 has been behaving inappropriately at touchdown and at takeoff.  Occasionally there is an almost uncontrollable skid at the point that the aircraft tires first contact the ground (or depart the ground).  This is exacerbated if there is any crosswind - even a mild crosswind can be problematic at times, but add in a stiffer crosswind, say in the teens, then you're talking about tires running on molasses and wings lifting off the ground even with full aileron deflection.

I would estimate that this has happened to me about 30% of the time - in other words, it isn't a constant occurrence.  Many times touchdown was fairly normal and liftoff was appropriate, even with stiff crosswinds.  Then there is the other 30%, where loss of control is severe and there is hardly any response to control inputs.

Lately, things have flipped for me - my last 3 flights have lost all semblance of reality at touchdown.  Crosswind strength varied from 3 kts to 16 kts.  In all 3 cases. the aircraft skidded across the runway with a bank angle of almost 30 degrees - aileron and rudder input did nothing.  I was not able to reestablish control until I had braked to about 3 kts.  Fortunately, the aircraft was not damaged in any of these touchdowns but it certainly ruined the enjoyment of having made 3 good approaches,

Come on ASOBO!  This is really basic stuff.  If you cannot take off appropriately and land appropriately with proper control response, you do not have a flight simulator.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Randall Rocke

Gotta agree here .. Love the sim and all but this is also a sore point for me .. the approach is great .. then the moment you touch the ground no amount of rudder deflection is going to prevent the AC from running off the side or the wings tipping over in  moderately windy conditions.

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

Rudder is one thing (transitioning the heading to a side-slip just above the runway), but it's the ailerons that do the majority of the work in this case and should stop any sideways movement.

This has happened at least once with every aircraft I've flown, so it's some type of systemic issue.  The really frustrating thing here is I've had gusting crosswinds in the 20 kt region where everything worked perfectly, only to have so-called "calm" conditions attempt to throw me off the runway the next.  I'm beginning to think that there may be a difference in the type of surface that's being simulated and the tire sizes or simulated friction?

Randall Rocke