Sign in to follow this  
eddl

PSXT Learning: balancing gate vs ramp positions

Adding to my idea above: the position priority parameter would allow to place pseudo-static aircraft in maintenance areas or in front of hangars.

1 hour ago, SierraDelta said:

My EGLL file has about 1300 lines for the gates at T5 ???

Do you get a normal looking or nearly empty T5 with your file? Do you have auto-adjust on or off? Thank you.

1 hour ago, eddl said:

An idea regarding empty apron areas, which usually have aircraft in real world: is there a possibility to define an optional parameter "priority" for parking positions in the XML file? If set as true, then this position gets filled first by whatever flights are listed for that position.

No, that is in conflict with the way PSXT works, it records where real live aircraft park ...

However, note that accidentally errors are introduced. If an arriving aircraft has not yet arrived at his gate, but the RT traffic data stops, and the aircraft is very close to another gate, then PSXT will park it over there, because people prefer that over a suddenly disappearing aircraft.  Such an "adsb-hole" -so to speak- may cause many aircraft to park at just a few gates at the entry of the terminal..... 

If you want to "mess" with the airport files you beter add some options manually.

Sofar you are the only one in 7 years that comes with these suggestions. Note that first PSXT was a program for flying with live traffic only. The parking of static aircraft was a nice to have feature that was added later, and has been made more and more advanced over the years. I have now arrived at a point that I say, enough is enough. You cannot copy the real world completely. I believe that 99 percent of the PSXT users do not care much about where an aircraft parks, more important are the right airlines and paints.

Edited by kiek
  • Like 1

Please do NOT get me wrong. I am happy with it as it is and very thankful that you provide this application and in no means I am asking for new features to be implemented.

When I see the progress of development, new features, multiple releases a month, I just had the impression you are very dedicated to it and maybe happy to get some ideas for further improvement. Being an IT guy and aviation geek myself I always have some ideas. 🙂 But it is totally fine that you define the scope of PSXT and if my ideas are out of scope, it is OK. No hard feelings at all. Thanks for your honest feedback.

Edited by kiek

14 hours ago, eddl said:

Adding to my idea above: the position priority parameter would allow to place pseudo-static aircraft in maintenance areas or in front of hangars.

At EGLL I often have aircraft parked in the BA maintenance/hangar area at the eastern side of the airport.

14 hours ago, eddl said:

Do you get a normal looking or nearly empty T5 with your file? Do you have auto-adjust on or off? Thank you.

Absolutely normal looking. T5A has all the A320 family aircraft, T5B and T5C the long-haul aircraft and a few A320s.

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

On 2/3/2023 at 8:10 AM, eddl said:

I have not ticked the auto-adjust, all running with default settings in the Learner.

Auto adjust is an absolute MUST as most of the parking sizes in both addon and the default airports are far too small to fit the aircraft types that need to use them.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

On 2/3/2023 at 9:33 AM, kiek said:

I believe that 99 percent of the PSXT users do not care much about where an aircraft parks, more important are the right airlines and paints.

I do.  I think having aircraft at wrong terminals kills the immersion.  We want the right airlines and paints, but the parking location also matters to me. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, knich said:

I do.  I think having aircraft at wrong terminals kills the immersion.  We want the right airlines and paints, but the parking location also matters to me. 

Your in the 1% then, no problem.

But PSXT does not do a bad job. In the USA I've seen airports where UAL terminals have UAL aircraft only, and DAL terminal s DAL aircraft only or airlines operating for AAL, and so on.. There is no other AI traffic program at the moment that does that.

Edited by kiek
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, knich said:

It can, and I'm in 'the 1% of users' who like aircraft at the correct gates, also.

However, I think PSXT does a great job. EGLL has the vast majority of aeroplanes where they are supposed to be, with a few BA short-haul aircraft at the wrong terminals due to T5 not being big enough in the real world to handle all of BA's flight programme

How I get over the immersion being broken, is by remembering that many more people are choosing to suffer with Asobo's broken AI traffic engine. Lost FPS, most airliners going-around, spinning airliners, traffic spawning on top of other aircraft, etc. is far more immersion-breaking in my view.

PSXT isn't perfect, but I'm glad I've had my not-quite-perfect flying compared to the alternative!

• Like 4

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

There's way more than 1% that want AI at the correct gates. That's one of the biggest draws to PSXT for MSFS is it's ability to avoid the new extra wingspan radius and lack of ability to adjust your own parking sizes and codes. 

• Upvote 1

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS