Sign in to follow this  
Guest nehuge

Lost my enthusiasm

Hi Mike,Absolutely I agree that FSX or FS9 can look totally amazing and the payware out there can add a great amount to the sim. I was simply pointing out that if someone is not pleased with the last ten years of development in Flight Simulation, I'm not sure the incremental change from the last sim to this one was going to be enough.Hopefully I'm wrong. I think the sim keeps getting more and more beautiful and I'm happy for that.

Guest LSflyguy

I find it difficult to reply to your original post because you give so few clues as to what sparks your interest in flight simulation. One of the things I love about it is that there are so many different facets to the hobby -- if I get bored flying around my local area, there are literally more places to explore than you could visit in a lifetime, and then there are so many sources of interaction with other flight simmers such as VA's, VATSIM, etc. I love the challenge of making up a flight plan, and flying it as realistically as possible. For others, it's the excitement of bush flying through mountainous terrain in Alaska. I seem to be in the minority, but I've been thrilled with FSX since the first day I installed it. For the first time, the scenery outside my cockpit window looked very much like what I see in real life. I would much rather see the developers pushing the edge of today's hardware limitations (although pre-SP1 FSX may have pushed those limits a bit TOO much), than sitting on their backsides and toasting their near-monopoly in civilian flight simulation. As someone who's been flight simming since the days when MSFS came on a single floppy disk, I've never lost my enthusiasm for the hobby. There are always new challenges to overcome, and new skills to learn, and new friends in the hobby to meet. Bored flying circuits at your local airport? Then try flying on instruments in stormy conditions... preferably in the middle of the night when the airport environment isn't in view until you reach MDA. I don't think I'll ever get bored with flight simming, because there's always something new to explore and always a new skill to master. Hope you get your mojo back.

Tim, try and set up a multplayer session with freinds? I do just that every Monday and Friday evening where we plan a scenario and fly it. Other times we just write a plan for FS9 in FSnav, make it public so, everyone connected can have the plan and we fly it. During that time we chat on 'Teamspeak' with the usual 'banter' and watching others land etc. You can also have 'touch and go's' if the time is running out?We usually include around four landings during the flight.Another idea is to obtain some real flight DVD's from someone like ITVV, watch them and they will inspire you also.Finally, go to www.fsaddon.com and download some Vancouver+ video's made by Jeff Greth. He also did some on 'Misty Fjords' that are all worth downloading. I watch them over and over again.

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest PARADISE

Maybe you're just plain tired of simming.....it happens.Try golf as a hobby (contrary to belief, golf is not a sport), if you've never played before you'll be glad to get back to simming after a month or two of frutration.John M

>For my two cents (or whatever its worth), I think the>eventual saving grace of flight sim will be to move in the>direction of very much higher aircraft realism and interaction>as in the example of Digital Aviations awesome Dornier do-27. > Flying without any negative consequences for poor piloting>technique etc. eventually gets a bit boring.I totally agree with you and wish for the same, but I really cannot see much enthusiasm amongst the developers (published information) to go down the path of DA's DO-27.Would it not be great to see a DC-3, DC-6 or even a F-27 with the same reality of the DO-27. I wonder if our current PC's or even the sim engine could handle the complexity.Cheers,Chris Porter:-outtaPerthWestern AustraliaIntel Core 2 Duo E6700ASUS P5N32-E SLI Deluxe Motherboard4GB Corsair VS DDR2 667Mhz RAMInno3D 8800 GTX 768MB GDDR3 590MHz VideoASUS MW221u 21" Wide Screen LCD2 x 320Gb WD SATA DrivesCreative X-Fi Platinum Sound Lian Li PC-B20B Aluminium Black CaseMS Vista Ultimate OEMCH FlightSim Yoke USBCH Pro Pedals USBCH Throttle Quadrant USBTrackIR 4 Pro and Track Clip (Still not working)MSFS FSX Deluxe Edition Full install at 1400x960x32Check out my 5th Around the World flight with MS FSX at http://members.iinet.com.au/~portercbp/fly...W_05/index.html

Guest involution

The DO-27 is excellent but in the end you click on the command to have the repairs made and the repairs don't cost you anything (just the little hassle, maybe), so in the long run the whole thing may just become an annoyance.I loved the Aeroworx King Air as it introduced engine wear, maintenance fees, etc., and yet something was missing: you'd know it would be time for an oil change, say, and it would cost xx dollars, and yet there would be no way to *make* those dollars, and no way to track everything in some kind of budget. I believe they tried to do something like that when modeling the Van's RV-7/7A, but the company selling that add-on is now defunct. Maybe it's just me, but I'd find much more motivation flying if these realism touches were to go a couple of notches beyond just the maintenance level and include a more fleshed-out economic model.

I guess we have to decide whether we are using or want a flight sim, an aircraft sim or an economic sim. At this stage I feel that most developers are concentrating mostly on the flight sim aspects (It's Flight Simulator after all :-) ) with a few aspects of the aircraft sim, and on a rare occasion a very few of the economic sim concept.For my money, I love what FS Economy does for my simming hobby. Now if there was some way we could create a default or generic failure/systems model that could tie the/all aircraft to FS Economy life would be grand.IMHO, the DO-27 is where it's at for the moment for realism and I surely would like to see a few more with that kind of modelling.Cheers,Chris Porter:-outtaPerthWestern AustraliaIntel Core 2 Duo E6700ASUS P5N32-E SLI Deluxe Motherboard4GB Corsair VS DDR2 667Mhz RAMInno3D 8800 GTX 768MB GDDR3 590MHz VideoASUS MW221u 21" Wide Screen LCD2 x 320Gb WD SATA DrivesCreative X-Fi Platinum Sound Lian Li PC-B20B Aluminium Black CaseMS Vista Ultimate OEMCH FlightSim Yoke USBCH Pro Pedals USBCH Throttle Quadrant USBTrackIR 4 Pro and Track ClipMSFS FSX Deluxe Edition Full install at 1400x960x32Check out my 5th Around the World flight with MS FSX at http://members.iinet.com.au/~portercbp/fly...W_05/index.html

Guest frontendrob

happy crawling :)

Guest LSflyguy

Well I don't see what's so remarkable about that video.... it looks exactly like EVERY ONE of my landings in a 747! ;-)

If you want to make your sim flying more exciting get the following two sceneries.1. LLH courchevel (13 degree sloped runway)2. France VFR Northern Alps.Try landing your aircraft here.It would keep it interesting for a few months at least.Reak Courchevel

Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Make sure you have a good setup--yoke and rudder pedals. Add Trackir and maybe Cargo Pilot for some purposeful flying and it will be quite awhile before you're bored again (but it will happen eventually).Randall

Guest christianholmes

Real flying is expensive- but you only go around once, if you want to do it that bad, you will learn more in 10-15 hours flying a real Cessna than you would in 10000 flying a virtual one.But to be honest- I have found myself bored a couple of times in real life. Even if the scenery is better, it still can all look same depending where you are flying.On the other hand, this morning out of New Haven, it was variable at 16 gusting to 25. The pilots in the lounge were talking how bumpy it was. Most lessons got cancelled but we went up anyway since I can confidently handle that (as long as it's not a crosswind!). There is NO SIMULATOR- not even a state of the art full motion sim that can kick you around like that. That was the most hands on flying I've had to do in a while. The entire two hours we were up, we saw 2 other planes- a banner tow along the short, and a Piedmont Dash-8. After we landed, my instructor asked if I wanted to go around again- I suprised myself by saying no- It wasn't hard- just bumpy. If there was any crosswind to practice I would have. Anyway- My point is that after flying for real, I haven't touched FS in probably 8 months. When I first started my lessons, I used it alot- it very much renewed my interest, and I felt like I had goals in FS- not just screwing around. I probably will use it again after I finish my ticket, but I don't want to screw up my real world skills before my checkride. My checkride is Sept. 11, at 9AM BTW :) Good thing I'm not superstitous.

Sim's are a good for "Chair flying" which is requested of student pilots . And Its Invaluable for cross-country practice!

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Guest nehuge

The thing that's bugged me about the sim is that daytime never looks like daytime....looks cartoony. It never looks like real sunlight lighting everything...games like Rainbow Six (yes I am comparing an FPS sorry) have that true sunny look...sunset and night have always been good, however, imo