Sign in to follow this  
Skyseek

GTN 750 / GTN 750XI

I am considering purchasing an aircraft 

The requirements are:

I owned the Flight 1 GTN 750, which the device emulation was exceptional, EXCEPT, it used the Garmin training database which was not frequently updated, so it did not include newer approaches that were in the Navigraph database. To keep the Flight 1 GTN 750 Nav databases (Training) update from Garmin would have been pretty pricey. $100 + per update.

I am wondering if the TDS or PMS50 uses frequently updated NAV databases, such as MSFS internal or Navigraph?

Have a question in to these two companies, haven’t heard from them. 

Thanks.

Edited by Skyseek

PMS50 can be updated as it uses either the MSFS default Navblue data, or Navigraph if you have a subscription for it.

TDS GTNXi uses the acutal Garmin GTN trainer to simulate the 750 GPS and cannot be updated by developer or customer (only when Garmin decide to update the trainer) - such as the Flight1 GTN unit you previously used.

I'm assuming it's the Flysimware’s Cessna 414AW you are buying - it also works very well with the default MSFS GNS530 which has been recently improved by Working title.

Edited by Gordon Hutchison

MSFS & XP11 - Aviatek G1000 Complex Desktop Trainer - Fulcrum One Yoke - TPR Rudder Pedals - VF TQ6 Throttle - LG 55" OLED Display

I update my PMS50 GTN750 with Navigraph.

Also, the PMS50 support on their Discord is second to none. I have raised a few issues and bugs and they have always worked with me to get to the root of the problem and they have always issued a fix within 2 days.

It's a purchase I have not regretted at all.

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

It is for the Flysimware C414.

I can just purchase or use the free version of the PMS50, correct?

In the Flysimware description it mentions 

PANEL 3) 605 Autopilot / RT859 Transponder / GTN 750 PMS 50

Transponder / GTN 750Xi. TDS

I assume I can use  just the PMS 50 only?

it appears you need both from the description.

Thanks again for your response!

7 minutes ago, Skyseek said:

I can just purchase or use the free version of the PMS50, correct?

Correct. The two work well together. I flew the combo around the virtual world.

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

Both do similar things but also do some things differently.  The PMS is sort of built around MSFS features, vs the TDS which works like the real one.  What I mean is that for instance the PMS can do RNP-AR approaches, which is not realistic to the actual GTN 750.  The TDS GTNxi functions like the real one except without nexrad radar and charts are inop outside of North America.  For me it's TDS all the way - the look of the display alone is worth it.  I have high hopes that one day the navdata will be updateable through different means like Navigraph.

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

4 hours ago, Skyseek said:

I assume I can use  just the PMS 50 only?

it appears you need both from the description.

You actually have 4 options:

1. GNS530 (free)
2. PMS GTN 750 (free)
3. PMS GTN 750 (payware)
4. TDI GTN 750 (payware)

So no further purchase is required if you want to use the first two options. 

Edited by haskell
Spelling
  • Like 1

Eddie
KABQ

1 hour ago, haskell said:

You actually have 4 options:

1. GNS530 (free)
2. PMS GTN 750 (free)
3. PMS GTN 750 (payware)
4. TDI GTN 750 (payware)

So no further purchase is required if you want to use the first two options. 

The GTN 750 Payware, is so much more versatile than the free one, it's not even in the same league. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

5 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

The GTN 750 Payware, is so much more versatile than the free one, it's not even in the same league. 

Agreed. Just saying… you don’t HAVE to buy any of them to enjoy the 414. But PMS premium is money well spent!

Eddie
KABQ

I appreciate this topic. It led me to purchase the PMS50 this morning as I use Navigraph and I just couldn't get past the thought of the other option not being on the same airac as all my flight planning software. In the middle of my first flight with the Milviz C310 and am happy with it so far.

It appears the PMS 50 be used with other aircraft…

Awhile back I did an Introductory Flight at our local airport, even though I have my PPL SEL, just wanted to go flying, with an instructor.  Some of the training aircraft had G1000’s in them. 

I know one or more of the stock MS aircraft has a G1000 in the AC.

Both GTN 750 and G1000 are excellent!

Thanks for the info!

Edited by Skyseek

This is the response from Flysimware.

Is this true with the PMS 50?  I posed the question to the PMS 50 folks, but haven’t heard back..

From what I know, the GTN 750 units currently available for MSFS use an AIRAC cycle that is based on whatever is in the German trainer. So, it’s always old, maybe around a year or so. So, you should have a similar experience compared to the Flight1 system you had before.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Skyseek said:

Is this true with the PMS 50?

No, this is true with the TDS GTN 750Xi (only).

For what it is worth, I use the GTN 750Xi in the C414 and am very happy with it.

However, you can start with the free PMS GTN unit and try it out, if the MSFS Airac cycle is important to you.  For me, accurate operation is more important than the current airac.

Lastly, the C414 is one of the best aircraft in MSFS.. IMHO.. 🙂

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Upvote 1

Bert

Thanks Bert,

I had an issue where my flight planning software was using STARs that were missing from the Flight 1 GTN 750 database. And that is not a cheap purchase. 

It seems like Garmin would welcome flight sim pilots using the GTN 750, from a marketing and name recognition, keeping that database current up to date.  

You can get updates to the training database if you want to pay $99+.  I think that will update the regular navigation database as well.  I kind of wish Flysimware would have developed  the G1000, as I have seen these even in trainer aircraft at my local flight school.

Seems like Garmin would offer a more feasible price for updates to the training database. 

Thanks for the info!