Sign in to follow this  
Guest PhilC

Managing AI aircraft in FSX

I haven't made the jump to FSX yet because I put so much time already into FS9 and it works just the way I want. Question about the AI aircraft in FSX. Is there a utility that manages them as well as AI Traffic mover did in previous versions?Will the AI's from FS9 work in FSX?I really don't want to start over as I'm not sure that FSX is that much different from FS9. Any thoughts? Thanks

>I haven't made the jump to FSX yet because I put so much time>already into FS9 and it works just the way I want. Question>about the AI aircraft in FSX. Is there a utility that manages>them as well as AI Traffic mover did in previous versions?>>Will the AI's from FS9 work in FSX?>Yes FS9 traffic bgl's will work ok in FSX.The drawback to using FS9 traffic bgl's in FSX is that in FSX the FS9 bgl's will cause FSX traffic to disappear.Of course, that's not a problem if all of your traffic is FS9 traffic. ;)When I first had FSX, I ran lots of FS9 traffic files, but here lately I have gone to all-FSX AI traffic.>I really don't want to start over as I'm not sure that FSX is>that much different from FS9. >Well, for my part I am sure FSX is different than FS9. :)I still have both sims and fly both of them, but I am flying FSX more.The biggest thing is...well actually there are two things. 1) the old FS98-style gauges don't work, which means a lot of panels that were SWEET in FS9 will be missing gauges in FSX, and 2) if you have enough computer horsepower, FSX is great. These days with $150 Core2Duo cpu's that can smoke FSX, it's not too hard to have enough horsepower.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Several 'issues'As noted above with FSX having some new elements in traffic which FS2002/2004 TrafficTools flight plans cannot co-exist with.There are some airport changes - so some flight plans will need to be updated to new airport.AI aircraft have the ability to have automated jetways and baggage loaders service the aircraft - but only if the aircraft.cfg is edited to add FSX exit information.Any light maps not in the same folder as the texture need a texture.cfg file with a search order. The FS2004 search order to the main texture folder is not a built-in FSX behavior.Good new things include the ability to put the AI aircraft into their own folder so they are not mixed in with the flyable aircraft - just create a folder and edit the FSX.cfg.In fact I have one folder for FS9_Standard_AI_Aircraft and one for FS9_Converted_AI_Aircraft - as I update an AI aircraft with exits and lightmap searches - I move it from the standard to the converted folder.FSX does not like duplicate aircraft titles and will tell you. It will slow loading time significantly.Parking in default FSX airports is many times more than FS2004 default airports - but you will still need to add parking. There are some good and some bad files in the Avsim library.There is one commercial program which is very much modeled on AFCAD. There is one freeware program which is getting close to release and one additional freeware program which may have the best capability but is still deep in beta testing.That said - don't hesitate to copy your traffic over and test your favorite flying areas.Please resist the temptation to point FSX at your FS2004 aircraft folder.

Well, still sounds a bit complicated. Not convinced that FSX is so much better that I would spend another year getting it the way I FS9. How do you 'manage' the AI aircraft so that specific liveries can be placed to operate near the correct airport? (ie KLM=Netherlands, American=USA, Air France= France, etc.) That's my big thing. I have a pretty realistic 'world' with my hundreds of AI's.

I have the UT Traffic.bgl in FSX. I also have a lot of FSX converted military flightplans. I find that I cannot run FSX with all of them activated. I can deactivate the UT one and the military AI all work OK. When I activate the UT one with the military AI all installed all I get is the UT traffic. No miltary AI show up. Is there any way to get them all working at one time? Regards, Bob.

It sounds like you are talking about flight plans, not AI aircraft.Flight plans control where and when the AI aircraft appears. Those are compiled into scenery files - usually named Traffic_xxxxx.bglYou only have to copy those to your FSX Scenery/World/Scenery folder.

Hi Reggie. Here is my World/Scenery folder. If I activate the traffic.bgl I get the UT traffic and no military AI flights. If I rename Traffic.bgl to traffic.bgx I can get all of the military AI traffic and no UT traffic. Any help to get them all at one time? Thanks, regards, Bob.

Guest PhilC

>It sounds like you are talking about flight plans, not AI>aircraft.>>Flight plans control where and when the AI aircraft appears.>Those are compiled into scenery files - usually named>Traffic_xxxxx.bgl>>You only have to copy those to your FSX Scenery/World/Scenery>folder.Reggie,Do the traffic files really need to go in this folder or can they be in any viable scenery folder?