Sign in to follow this  
Guest mz-cd

Help -programing a FMC question

Sometimes I like to program an actual flight plan, into the FMC, of a commercial carrier. For example, I go to flightaware.com and find a plan for Portland (KPDX) to Seattle (KSEA). I get a plan listed as:BTG OLM OLM5Now the problem I have is when I input "OLM5" the FMC says "not in data base". What I find is any input with numbers does not take. Here are a few others I have found for other flight plans: BSV286 OXI095 OXI3 etc.So I think I do not understand what these type of entries are. Can someone please explain what they are? Can or should they be input into the FMC? I am sure these are not data base error, rather I think I just don't understand what they are.Thanks,Jim

Guest UlfB

Jim,What FMC are you using? LevelD 767?Ulf B

Guest firehawk44

OLM5 is a STAR and that's why you cannot put it in your flight plan. Once you enter BTG and OLM into your flight plan, you need to goto KSEA arrivals page where you will find OLM5. Select OLM5 and your runway and then goto the LEGS page and make sure there are no discontinuities. A STAR is usually made up with several waypoints and they will be automatically inputed when you select OLM5.Best regards,Jim

in general if you see {fix/navaid}{number} in a flightplan at the beginning and end of the route that is the STAR (departure route away from the airport) and SID (arrival route at the destination airport).in USA airspace you can collect these charts (will need these to confirm the FMC is correctly installing the STAR/SID & knowing the correct transition) from the FAA for free -http://www.naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=naco/online/d_tpp*go to the box in the middle of the page and look for "digital - Terminal Procedures (XXXX)". (XXXX = the current AIRAC cycle)*click that link and you will see a map of the USA. you scroll down a bit and enter the airport's code; or can click on the map to go to the state (then you search just in that state). don't use the first letter for USA airport (ex, P) as the site assumes you are looking at USA airports.*click 'search'*you will now see a list of that airports records (if the airport has FAA information).don't link directly to an airport/state page as the link will be dead when the AIRAC cycle is updated. the only 'good link' for each AIRAC cycle is: http://www.naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=naco/online/d_tpphere is the direct link to OLM5 -http://www.naco.faa.gov/d-tpp/0708/00582OLYMPIA.PDFNOTE: this link will no longer work when the 0708 AIRAC goes out-of-date.--edit: typos--

D. Scobie, feelThere support forum moderator: https://forum.simflight.com/forum/169-feelthere-support-forums/

Guest dswo

Another issue with Portland DPs: last I checked (about six months ago), they all have the form of "Expect radar vectors to..." Unlike some Departure Procedures, they are NOT a series of standard waypoints that is the same every time.

i find most USA airports involve "Expect radar vectors to..." STARS. you get to a 'rally point' and are then directed to the rwy. also common in departures (SIDs).when not on-line flying i just 'vector myself' to an appropriate point to intercept the rwy (or ILS if IFR) based on the rwy's approach plate (IP).for airports that have no details about obstacles/noise, when flying off-line i climb rwy heading to the outer marker and then

D. Scobie, feelThere support forum moderator: https://forum.simflight.com/forum/169-feelthere-support-forums/

Many of the latest RNAV STARs are designed to take your right to an IAP. I find RNAV procedures tend to get better results when used with FS ATC.scott s..

Thanks to everyone for the information. I now understand why I was unable to input the name of a STAR into the FMC. I have been able to select the STAR from the arrival page, and have seen it update the flight plan. Thanks for the education on this point. This is what makes the forum at AVSIM so good.Jim

Guest mz-cd

Hi all, I would like to ask a question as well.HOW do you programme the FMC used in the Ifly 747? OR how do you programme an FMC?I have read the instructions but cannot translate it into actual use.I did have a set of instructions years ago but cannot find them now.Is there a sample flight/s somewhere that covers all the operations used in programming an FMC.ThanksRegardsRichard