Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

I just watched United 93

For me it was a re-defining moment.I thought I already knew 9/11. I had no idea.Rent it, buy it, watch it.Is this what the world truly faces going forward?bt

This is a classic!I bought it yesterday and inserted it into the DVD player just to get a few minutes 'preview' of the content; one-hour and fifty-minutes later I was watching the end credits! The scenario and drama will draw you right in to the storyline and as most of us here know at least the basic functions of Air Traffic Control, especially a 'Center', the movie will be more meaningful to you.There is no political statement in the movie, no agenda, and nothing offensive (my opinion) to anyone associated with the events of that flight and that day. The actors are mostly 'unknowns' and that seems have been a plus in producing this film especially for those cast as passengers on United 93.Go for it; it's a good one!-George

I agree. The movie was very well done. In addition, it is a very accurate (at least to my novice eyes) avaition related movie.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

>For me it was a re-defining moment.>>I thought I already knew 9/11. I had no idea.>>Rent it, buy it, watch it.>>Is this what the world truly faces going forward?>I heard an interview with Rudi Giuliani, Mayor of New York during 9/11 (as most know).He didn't feel comfortable about seeing this movie, but once he did, he felt that everyone should see it!And yes, I agree! I seen this movie in it's first week of release, and now have the DVD as well.L.Adamson

I just wonder how many relatives of the the victims are prepared to see/buy it?

Dave Taylor gb.png

>I just wonder how many relatives of the the victims are>prepared to see/buy it?>Some of the relatives participated in the production, as well as some of the actual ATC controllers, and a few military personal.

Guest B52Drivr

Hello All, I saw it today -- Yeah, I'm a tough guy, I know, but it made me tear up. This production brought back all the horror and sadness of 9/11 and how many peoples lives were affected by that tragic day. I've always been a 'dooer', and a few times in my life I've been willing to put my life on the line for something I believed in andthought that dying was a fair trade. I was doing a job, and getting paid for it, I knew what I was getting into when I signed up --- the people who gave their lives in and during 9/11 didn't have a choice, nor did they sign up for it . . . they just did it and saw it through.Every single one of them is my hero -- no politics, just a wish that this world could become a more 'caring' place and the innocent members of this world could dwell in peace.Best to all, Clay

>Hello All, >>I saw it today -- Yeah, I'm a tough guy, I know, but it made>me tear up. This production brought back all the horror and>sadness of 9/11 and how many peoples lives were affected by>that tragic day. >>I've always been a 'dooer', and a few times in my life I've>been willing to put my life on the line for something I>believed in and>thought that dying was a fair trade. I was doing a job, and>getting paid for it, I knew what I was getting into when I>signed up --- the people who gave their lives in and during>9/11 didn't have a choice, nor did they sign up for it . . .>they just did it and saw it through.>>Every single one of them is my hero -- no politics, just a>wish that this world could become a more 'caring' place and>the innocent members of this world could dwell in peace.>>Best to all, >>Clay >Thank you Clay, for putting this whole thing into perspective. My feelings too.'LAdamson' say's *SOME* relatives and ATC participated in the film........And all the ones with love and respect, DIDN'T.Film makers ALWAYS dramatise these tragedies. The plain facts are that KNOW ONE but know one, knows what was going on in that aircraft. To dramatise it for financial gain, is an insult to all those who loved the victims living in the 'civilised' world.

Dave Taylor gb.png

>>'LAdamson' say's *SOME* relatives and ATC participated in the>film.>>.......And all the ones with love and respect, DIDN'T.>>Film makers ALWAYS dramatise these tragedies. The plain facts>are that KNOW ONE but know one, knows what was going on in>that aircraft. >To dramatise it for financial gain, is an insult to all those>who loved the victims living in the 'civilised' world.B.S.....On that particular aircraft, both cell-phones and on board air phones were in use by numerous passengers. Much is known, in this particular case!When this movie was released, I read 26 pages of comments from a movie forum data-base. Nearly all were positive, including those from the New York area who were quite skeptical! Let's don't get into this "civilized" crap, and making wild mindless guesses as to who did and didn't participate until you know what your talking about. In a civilized world, we don't bury our heads in the sand, and forget. This movie is an excellent reminder, without going overboard, and gives us a new perspective from the air traffic controllers view. Of course, I can only assume you've never seen United 93, the World Trade Centers, Tora Tora Tora, Saving Private Ryan, etc.... :( L.Adamson

Guest Kingair315

>In a civilized world, we don't bury our heads in the sand, and>forget. This movie is an excellent reminder, without going>overboard, and gives us a new perspective from the air traffic>controllers view. >>Of course, I can only assume you've never seen United 93, the>World Trade Centers, Tora Tora Tora, Saving Private Ryan,>etc.... :( >>L.AdamsonExactly... and if you have ever been in =real= emergencies or a combat situation, you know that movies such as United 93, The World Trade Center, Tora Tora Tora, Saving Private Ryan, etc do =not= acurately picture the real thing. It is =much= worse, for if shown exactly as it really is, no one would go to see the movie.Lets say as an example Private Ryan, a movie which in a few hours shows an example of an experience which took days. One in which it was as bad or worse for days, as it shows for a few hours. Being in real combat can have an effect on an individual day after day, for months as it has on one individual for an hour. My wife saw one man she did not know, hit by a car going 75 miles an hour. Fifteeen years later it still has the same effect when she things about it, as the day she saw it. Those in combat have similar traumatic experiences, day after day, after day. They see close friends maimed and killed, over and over, and over. Every man in combat is a Hero, day after day after day, because they do their job, in spite of what they see, feel, hear, touch, smell, etc... Many risk their lives for friends with never a thought for their own safety.United93 is only a =fraction= or just a glimpse into what really happened and how the passengers felt. But, through recordings of conversations made, we realy do know what some felt, and how they responded. BUT, just like in real combat, there are UNSUNG heros that were there. Men and/or Women who acted in the same manner, who will never be credited for their actions, because they did not have a cell phone or did not call and record their thoughts.Courage is =not= a lack of fear, most in combat are fearful, but they act heroically in spite of their fear. They overcome their fear, and do the job they must do, because of the =person= they are deep within.

>Exactly... and if you have ever been in =real= emergencies or>a combat situation, you know that movies such as United 93,>The World Trade Center, Tora Tora Tora, Saving Private Ryan,>etc do =not= acurately picture the real thing. It is =much=>worse, for if shown exactly as it really is, no one would go>to see the movie.>United 93 and the World Trade Centers, fall into the same catagory as Shindler's List, none of which fall into the catagory of movie "entertainment", but yet a must see, regarding history, and the fact that we "should NOT forget". From what you're saying, I'm not exactly sure of the point. Do we avoid movies such as Shindler's List, etc.? Or see them?I've seen dead people including one die on a motorcycle, rescued two children from a burning home, and the aftermath three aircraft accidents in which the deceased pilot/passengers were friends or aquaintences. Have I quit riding motorcycles & flying?.............no.In fact, just a year ago, an airplane cartwheeled through the fence, and erupted in flames just down the street behind my backyard. It's what I get for living by an airport, I suppose.L.Adamson

I just wonder why your so wound up defending your guilt?If you enjoy watching this sort of thing, go ahead. It's no skin off my nose.Your attitude reminds me of a day at Brands Hatch circuit in the early seventies. A driver 'Florian Camathias' of a racing sidecar outfit left the track at 'Clearways' bend killing his passenger John Robinson! He hit an earth bank at a speed of 140 mph!In no time at all, photographers converged on the scene taking pictures of the deceased. It's bad enough seeing it happen without seeing somebody's sick picture of the event.Now why would they want to do that? Perhaps they are the same people that gratify in seeing someone elses death eh?Several people including myself, smashed the camera's at the scene.'Gore' is what some people enjoy, I'm glad to say that I am civilized enough to ignore it. I know that it exist's and happens but I do not need a reminder by paying to watch it all over again. You clearly do!I take it you know what caused the Lady Diana death too? Well hold on, someone is doing a film about it so that you, and others like you can drool again!I suppose you'll probably go and see the '9-11' movie too eh? At least it'll remind you of it, won't it!

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest Kingair315

>United 93 and the World Trade Centers, fall into the same>catagory as Shindler's List, none of which fall into the>catagory of movie "entertainment", but yet a must see,>regarding history, and the fact that we "should NOT forget". >>From what you're saying, I'm not exactly sure of the point. Do>we avoid movies such as Shindler's List, etc.? Or see them?>That is an individuals decision.But, when watching such movies, they need to understand they are a movie, and not =real= life examples of the actual experiences...>I've seen dead people including one die on a motorcycle,>rescued two children from a burning home, and the aftermath>three aircraft accidents in which the deceased>pilot/passengers were friends or aquaintences. Have I quit>riding motorcycles & flying?.............no.Ive been in three accidents where the motorcycle was totaled, and I went to the hospital. Served in combat in Korea, in the 5th Regimental Combat Team which had more time in combat than any unit in Korea. Served with every Division in Korea, receiving citations from each one. Pulled bodies out of aircraft, as a police officer and paramedic. Have I quit riding & flying? . . . . . . . . no. Ride a Gold Wing, and fly a WACO, but quite being an officer and paramedic years ago. They restimulated too many flashbacks to Korea.My point was and is MOVIES are =not= real or even close.

>Now why would they want to do that? Perhaps they are the same>people that gratify in seeing someone elses death eh?>United 93, has NO death scenes, beyond the burning towers, that we've all seen.....>'Gore' is what some people enjoy, I'm glad to say that I am>civilized enough to ignore it. I know that it exist's and>happens but I do not need a reminder by paying to watch it all>over again. You clearly do!United 93, has NO gore scenes.....>>I take it you know what caused the Lady Diana death too? Well>hold on, someone is doing a film about it so that you, and>others like you can drool again! edited..... I'd be banned...>>I suppose you'll probably go and see the '9-11' movie too eh?>At least it'll remind you of it, won't it!edited ..... And banned again....You havn't the slightest knowledge of my feelings regarding death and destruction. Do not attempt to fill in the blanks with BS speculation!I don't watch trapeze acts, nor did I watch Robbie Knievel jump between two hotels in Vegas (live), simply because I know the guy...Since you seem to have no idea what this movie portrays, it's best to keep your mouth shut, considering 99%+ of the population that have actually seen it, seem to feel differently. L.Adamson

>I just wonder why your so wound up defending your guilt?>>If you enjoy watching this sort of thing, go ahead. It's no>skin off my nose.>>Your attitude reminds me of a day at Brands Hatch circuit in>the early seventies. A driver 'Florian Camathias' of a racing>sidecar outfit left the track at 'Clearways' bend killing his>passenger John Robinson! He hit an earth bank at a speed of>140 mph!>In no time at all, photographers converged on the scene taking>pictures of the deceased. It's bad enough seeing it happen>without seeing somebody's sick picture of the event.>>Now why would they want to do that? Perhaps they are the same>people that gratify in seeing someone elses death eh?>>Several people including myself, smashed the camera's at the>scene.>>'Gore' is what some people enjoy, I'm glad to say that I am>civilized enough to ignore it. I know that it exist's and>happens but I do not need a reminder by paying to watch it all>over again. You clearly do!>>I take it you know what caused the Lady Diana death too? Well>hold on, someone is doing a film about it so that you, and>others like you can drool again!>>I suppose you'll probably go and see the '9-11' movie too eh?>At least it'll remind you of it, won't it!My wife was a bit shocked reading this reply, this evening.As we have walked past Kennsignton Palace numerous times during vacations to London in the 80's, we felt very badly about Lady Diana's early death. Neither one of us would care to see a "blood & guts" graphic movie of this event; but perhaps an historical one.In fact, we don't care for slasher movies of any type. At least not to dramatic. Some Highlander, Sleepy Hollow, and Kill Bill is about as much gore as I want. Guess we got into Kill Bill, since my wife learned to slash boards with her bare hands, too.But then, United 93 has none of this anyway. Just a lot of history from some different perspectives, such as ATC, the military; and people who were contacted on the ground, from those on the aircraft. It doesn't show any depiction of the plane actually hitting the ground either.If it wasn't so highly recommended from nearly EVERYONE who has actually seen it, including those who were in the area on 9/11, then it would be a different story. But it's not the case. L.Adamson