Sign in to follow this  
scott967

FSX WATER COLORS

Are there any replacement textures for water that would soften the intense blue tint, and perhaps vary colors for open ocean, lakes, rivers, etc? thanks....sherm

As already mentioned elsewhere;HiFi Simulations 'X Graphics' or 'Ultimate Terrain X' provide this option.Lake Erie now looks like Lake Erie in my sim thanks to thse two products.(as you can see in my small Scout screen shot below).

Guest Stephen L

I second that. These 2 programs make a world of difference IMO.Steve

tbanks for the info. I have FSX on my FS9 installation and it appears I should get if for FSX, which is more and more becoming my default sim of choice...sherm

Guest danny68

What's wrong with the intense blue look? Real water can look very, deep enriched blues. At 2.x sliders the reflection overlay will change the colours anyway.Out of interst where are you seeing an over intense blue?Dan

I'm seeing what appears to be an over intense blue on virtually all water bodies, oceans, lakes, rivers...etc..it's only a matter of taste, no big deal, but I prefer the variation in colors available in fs9 thru a variety of add ons. I've just downloaded and installed UTFSX, but have not yet run FSX. I'm still going through some of the prelims. sherm

It simply isn't realistic for all water boundaries. I live a 'hop skip and a jump' from Lake Erie (as example), so I know how often it looks blue, which is only for a few days in either the spring or fall. In other words, that is very rare.These programs, especially UT USA X (albeit I use 'X Graphics' for my lake color)provides you the opportunity to keep oceans bluer than inland lakes and rivers/streams. This is pretty much how it is in real life.There are many variations you can create to provide you with the world as you either see it, or want it to be seen.

I bought UTFSX today. It clearly makes a difference in water color textures, much more realistic in my opinion. I live a block from Lake Michigan's Western shore. The water is rarely if ever bright blue. Now, it has a more characteristic green tint in FSX...thanks for the suggestions about UTFSX...it looks great...now all I have to do is figure out how to get more acceptable fps, short of spending a couple of thou on a new rig...:-)sherm

Enjoy Sherman.Frame Rates? Heck we go through this with every release. At least FSX is much smoother at lower FR's than any other MSFS to date.Yea, I can achieve much higher rates in FS9, but my FSX world just looks better.BTW, I'm taking a virtual trip right now around Lake Michigan. Landed the Scout on Beaver Island last evening....after the Browns beat the Lions tonight :D ;) , I plan on taking off in the MAAM DC-3 and continuing my journey.

>>BTW, I'm taking a virtual trip right now around Lake Michigan.>Landed the Scout on Beaver Island last evening....after the>Browns beat the Lions tonight :D ;) , I plan on taking off in>the MAAM DC-3 and continuing my journey.Are you one of those guys that wears the dog mask? hehehehI like those guys. The dawg pound, isn't that what they call it over there in Cleveland?RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

;) Nope, I don't wear a dog mask, but I went to the games back then in the old stadium, and my favorite place to sit was (the real) dawg pond.....aw well, the Browns didn't play well at all...until our new phenom Brady Quinn entered the game late....I think we may have witnessed the future. I hope.Time for a flight....

Guest yarvelling

A poster asked where there there is too much intense blue...well, I live in the UK and would like to see the major waterways such as the Thames looking a little less 'tropical'...! The Thames is frequently a dark, murky brown, or a dark iron-grey. The colour by defualt for the English channel is also too 'tropical'; it needs darkening overall, as does the North Sea which is very dark, and cold. I don't know enough about how the water type/colour is determined; is there an equivalent to Landclass for this? If so, then either the data is wrong, or the textures are too bright; are there specific ones that can be darkened?I do love the look of the water overall, and if flying over tropics, or the Caribean for example, it looks great! However, fly from Norwich (UK) to Stavanger (Norway) and the ocean just looks wrong!

As UT USA X is in fact only for the USA (Canada/Alaska/Europe to come), you might check out HiFi Simulations 'X Graphics'. It will change the water for you as it covers the world. It is actually the program I use to control water color, albeit UT does the same/similar. I've been to London, and yes, the Thames is murky indeed.

>BTW, I'm taking a virtual trip right now around Lake Michigan.>Landed the Scout on Beaver Island last evening....after the>Browns beat the Lions tonight :D ;) , I plan on taking off in>the MAAM DC-3 and continuing my journey.If you like the maam dc3, pleae come and goin us at www.dc3airways.com. It's a very hospitable VA, with lots of interestsing missions and regular MP flights with other dca pilots. Hope to see you among us, soon.Sherm

Hello bkeske,I know this is off topic but I noticed that the repaint of the scout in the small picture below your post is not a repaint that comes with the scout package (which I have and love) :-). Do you have any recommendations as to where I can pick up some repaints for the planes in the Scout package? Thanks!