Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Did you know.....

That the cool APC M577 from the movie ALIENS (1986) was built over an actual vehicle?

(Well it was. The airplane towing tractor known as the Hunslet ATT77)

Random trivia of the day.

poqH2I0Oj

• Like 3

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Would it pass a UK MOT though?  I fear the lack of headlights and bad visibility and no soft squidgy bumpers to protect pedestrians would be an issue. 

Um, Martin it has headlights! Check out the shiny round lights really low on the glacis.

• Like 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I expect it would do really well in crash tests but not so well in parking.

Dugald Walker

4 hours ago, dmwalker said:

I expect it would do really well in crash tests but not so well in parking.

So just like an SUV then...

But does it have enough cup holders??

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

7 hours ago, n4gix said:

Um, Martin it has headlights! Check out the shiny round lights really low on the glacis.

Negative! Negative sir! They're just fog lights. When hunting aliens on a hostile, foggy world, you need fog lights so other space marine vehicles don't collide with you. 

I'm afraid the ministry of transport MOT testing mechanic will require proper headlights...

We are going to have to fail your MOT on this one mate. We can fix it and re-test for you but that'll cost you 2000 quid mate, and we can't do it till next week. And by the way, you need new tyres too. And a new exhaust. 

No MOT'S in Guernsey... what about the US? Is it a state thing. 🤔 

Edited by martin-w

I'm with Bill!  More or less headlights! 👌

images.jpeg

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

5 minutes ago, charliearon said:

I'm with Bill!  More or less headlights! 👌

images.jpeg

Grrr.... FAIL! FAIL! FAIL!

No MOT certificate for you my boy. Those guys are just fog lights in the UK. 

Get that thing off the road or you'll be arrested. 

😏

11 hours ago, martin-w said:

No MOT'S in Guernsey... what about the US? Is it a state thing. 🤔

No "MOT's" here in the US Martin. It's up to each state to row their own boat. In my former state of Indiana for example, there are only two counties that require bi-yearly emissions testing: Lake and Porter counties. This is simply because of their proximity to Illinois, which has stringent emissions mandates.

Fr. Bill    

8 hours ago, martin-w said:

No MOT certificate for you my boy. Those guys are just fog lights in the UK.

Note that it even had side marker lights. However, I do note a lack of turn signals! Thankfully, at least in the US it is still legal to use hand signalling: left arm straight down for stop, straight left for left turn, and arm straight up for right turns...

Fr. Bill    

25 minutes ago, n4gix said:

Thankfully, at least in the US it is still legal to use hand signalling: left arm straight down for stop, straight left for left turn, and arm straight up for right turns...

This would be an option for those with 10ft long arms.

• Like 1

Dugald Walker

16 hours ago, n4gix said:

Note that it even had side marker lights. However, I do note a lack of turn signals! Thankfully, at least in the US it is still legal to use hand signalling: left arm straight down for stop, straight left for left turn, and arm straight up for right turns...

Legal in the UK too, its part of the highway code. Essential if your indicators fail, you need those hand signals. 

16 hours ago, n4gix said:

No "MOT's" here in the US Martin. It's up to each state to row their own boat. In my former state of Indiana for example, there are only two counties that require bi-yearly emissions testing: Lake and Porter counties. This is simply because of their proximity to Illinois, which has stringent emissions mandates.

Its not just emissions in the UK, everything is stringently checked for safety. Brakes, suspension, tyres,  corrosion, fuel system, lights, seatbelts, wipers, exhaust. There are dozens of checks. And yes, emissions too. Do any of those states have stringent tests like we do, or are they pretty basic? 

I've lived in just twelve states, but in none of them has there been anything even close to such a stringent inspection. Honestly, I've seen many vehicles over the decades that really should not have been on the road at all!

Fr. Bill    

California tests for smog emissions every two years. No other tests. But Cheech and Chong drove there before the testing era.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.