Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

RTX4090 Upgrade From 3090

Just considering some options for an upgrade and wondering if anyone has upgraded from an RTX3090 to a 4090 and if so, what kind of performance increase have you experienced. I know YT is full of videos about the 4090, but I'd be more interested in hearing first hand experience from someone on Avsim who can offer their thoughts TBH.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Night & Day.

Did it a few weeks ago with everything else in my system equal.

Most MSFS settings are on Ultra and I'm always pushing 40-90FPS.

Your mileage my very but if you can get the board at MSRP then I considered my switch worth it. Sold my 3090 which covered half of the 4090 cost.

Edited by tpete61
  • Like 2

I'll let others reply but from what I've seen and read the biggest advantage is the use of Frame Generation to give you some juicy frames.

• Like 3

Thomas Derbyshire

2 minutes ago, tpete61 said:

Night & Day.

Did it a few weeks ago with everything else in my system equal.

Most MSFS settings are on Ultra and I'm always pushing 40-90FPS.

Interesting. Opinions seem to be unequivocal. I was thinking of a CPU upgrade but from what research I've done, I think the money would be better spent on the 4090.

Edited by Rockliffe

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

1 minute ago, Farlis said:

But for chrissakes not on this overpriced money grab of a card!

It’s not overpriced. Frame generation alone is worth the entry cost of it. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Yeah, I hear you, but...

Howard

Depends what you consider over priced.

In the US the scalper stuff isn't an issue anymore. They are easy to find everyday.

6 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Completely agree....  double the performance basically

Unless you're going from a really old gen cpu to a new one like I did last year (4790K to 12700K) - where I also saw double performance, a new 4080 or 4090 would be much better money spent imo.  

And everything costs more now after covid... literally I spent hundreds more on food for my family...childcare?  Hah almost double what I paid pre covid....  

Even a used 3080 Ti anywhere from 500 - 800 USD depending on the model.  I'm not dropping 800 on a USED card when there's no way to verify the integrity vs 1400 on a new 4080.  

Edited by ryanbatc
  • Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

3 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

It is overpriced considering the gain from the previous generation. 

It was all across hardware channels on Youtube that tested these extensively. Consensus is that they are all about 300 Bucks overpriced by default and that NVIDIA has lost their minds.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Farlis said:

It was all across hardware channels on Youtube that tested these extensively. Consensus is that they are all about 300 Bucks overpriced by default and that NVIDIA has lost their minds.

You want to talk about overpriced?  2080 to 3080 - barely a perf difference.  These new cards are pricey but they're not as power hungry as people make them out to be - my 4080 runs quiet and cool....and even under the most intense load of VR and heavy settings I only see about 510w from my entire system.

If I had the psu I would have dropped the 1700 (with tax) on the 4090 in a heartbeat.  Especially in VR the 4090 dominates anything by miles.  Even my 4080 smokes pretty much everything from last gens cards.

• Like 2

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

3 minutes ago, Farlis said:

Capitalism. If you or others feel that way I guess you skip it. If enough skip it, Nvidia will have to lower the price then!

At least scalpers aren't a factor anymore.

My guess is if the price was lower scalpers would be causing some of the same problem so instead Nvidia has partially become a scalper to fix the scalping problem.

• Like 1

Whether a GPU is overpriced is purely subjective, as is anything we spend money on. Is a Ferrari overpriced? Probably to someone who drives a Ford Focus, but not for someone who drives an Aston Martin.

• Like 3

Howard

3 minutes ago, Rockliffe said:

Whether a GPU is overpriced is purely subjective, as is anything we spend money on. Is a Ferrari overpriced? Probably to someone who drives a Ford Focus, but not for someone who drives an Aston Martin.

I was talking specifically on the basis of the question you posed. From a 3090 to a 4090 it IS overpriced.

So your car analogy works better when you already have a Ferrari and then want the next model and that suddenly is overproportionately expensive compared to the new features you gain.

Edited by Farlis
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If your dev mode FPS graph reads «limited by main thread» in heavy scenarios like EGLL and you get 35FPS with a 3090, a 4090 will provide you exactly nothing. Unless of course you turn on frame generation on the 4090, then your FPS will double. Easy as that...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS