Sign in to follow this  
Lord Farringdon

WU New Zealand. Sadly Missed Opportunity

Looking forward to the WU, obviously. Not sure how Orbx and Flightbeam scenery will play with PG in Auckland and Wellington though? 

However,  I am quite disappointed that the DHC-4 Caribou is to be New Zealand's 'local legend' because quite simply, it is not! It has never flown in New Zealand except as an occasional visitor from the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF). It was certainly a legend in Australian aviation, but is in no way considered any sort of legend in New Zealand aviation. That priviledge belongs to:

Jane Gardner Batten CBE OSC (15 September 1909 – 22 November 1982), commonly known as Jean Batten, was a New Zealand aviator, making a number of record-breaking solo flights across the world. She is notable for completing the first solo flight from England to New Zealand in 1936. (wiki).

Jean Batten flew a Percival Gull monoplane and was inspired by Kingsford Smiths exploits in the Southern Cross. (Note Southern Cross was the WU Australian 'local legend', and rightly so.) 

Her aircraft is hanging in Auckland Airport. She is one of aviation's early aviatrix's and her feats in the Percival Gull are legendary not just because she was a New Zealander but because she was a pioneer of aviation of which MSFS is all about.

I really thought if there was one time that Jean Batten could get some recognition then a New Zealand update was it. Instead MSFS decide a Canadian Caribou with no history in New Zealand is to be our 'local legend'.  What a missed opportunity.  Words fail me and I am frankly inconsolable. 

Read this and I am sure you will agree with me no matter where in the world you come from.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Batten

Edited by Lord Farringdon
  • Like 2

No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.

Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!

Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-10700 CPU @2.90Ghz, 32GB RAM,  NVIDEA GeForce RTX 3060, 12GB VRAM, Samsung QN70A 4k 65inch TV with VRR 120Hz Free Sync (G-Sync Compatible). 

Boeing Thrustmaster TCA Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant, Turtle Beach Velocity One Rudder Pedals.   

I agree wholeheartedly. Much as I welcome a Caribou in MSFS, it has sod all to do with New Zealand. Jean Batten was one of the great pioneers of long distance aviation, and her Percival Gull would have been far more appropriate. Here she is, with the Gull behind her, at Rambang in the then Dutch East Indies:

Ird5ska.jpg

Her story, My Life, can be read for free here:

https://nzetc.victoria.ac.nz/tm/scholarly/tei-BatMyL.html

A great lady, without doubt.

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

24 minutes ago, Lord Farringdon said:

Looking forward to the WU, obviously. Not sure how Orbx and Flightbeam scenery will play with PG in Auckland and Wellington though? 

However,  I am quite disappointed that the DHC-4 Caribou is to be New Zealand's 'local legend' because quite simply, it is not! It has never flown in New Zealand except as an occasional visitor from the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF). It was certainly a legend in Australian aviation, but is in no way considered any sort of legend in New Zealand aviation. That priviledge belongs to:

Jane Gardner Batten CBE OSC (15 September 1909 – 22 November 1982), commonly known as Jean Batten, was a New Zealand aviator, making a number of record-breaking solo flights across the world. She is notable for completing the first solo flight from England to New Zealand in 1936. (wiki).

Jean Batten flew a Percival Gull monoplane and was inspired by Kingsford Smiths exploits in the Southern Cross. (Note Southern Cross was the WU Australian 'local legend', and rightly so.) 

While I agree with your general sentiment, I will prefer to have the Caribou with its unique features, even if it doesn't quite make sense. 
I accept the Percival Gull would be more appropriate in the historical context, but I think most would want the Caribou rather than the Percival Gull, as there are too many of those types available for the sim already.

Edited by bobcat999
  • Upvote 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

20 minutes ago, Lord Farringdon said:

I am frankly inconsolable. 

Thank heaven for that. I thought you were going to ask for a hug or something 😆

• Like 9
  • Upvote 2

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

2 minutes ago, Paul K said:

Ird5ska.jpg

A great lady, without doubt.

A great picture, and as you say, a great woman.  She looks absolutely charming as well.  While I have heard of her and her achievements, I find her story quite interesting.  I will look for a documentary on her.

• Like 2

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

32 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

While I agree with your general sentiment, I will prefer to have the Caribou with its unique features, even if it doesn't quite make sense. 
I accept the Percival Gull would be more appropriate in the historical context, but I think most would want the Caribou rather than the Percival Gull, as there are too many of those types available for the sim already.

Then just release it under the Famous Flyer brand rather than trying to claim it has any relevance to the World Update ?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Also an NZ flying legend is Cliff Tait and his Air Tourer "Miss Jacy":
https://collection.motat.nz/objects/78249/cliff-tait-round-the-world-flight-in-airtourer-zk-cxu-miss-jacy-1969
https://medium.com/motat/the-flying-kiwi-a-photo-essay-9dcd40b53610

spacer.png

Also worth a mention are any of the Dh89 Rapides or even a TEAL Sunderland Flying Boat. ie. *Plenty* to choose from!

• Like 2

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

10 minutes ago, Adamski_NZ said:

Also an NZ flying legend is Cliff Tait and his Air Tourer "Miss Jacy":
https://collection.motat.nz/objects/78249/cliff-tait-round-the-world-flight-in-airtourer-zk-cxu-miss-jacy-1969
https://medium.com/motat/the-flying-kiwi-a-photo-essay-9dcd40b53610

spacer.png

Also worth a mention are any of the Dh89 Rapides or even a TEAL Sunderland Flying Boat. ie. *Plenty* to choose from!

Quite agree @Adamski_NZ.  Add the Bristol freighter operated by the RNZAF and Safe Air and of course the ubiquitous FU-24 Fletcher top dressing aircraft. Some 700 hundred of them built in NZ under license. As a country that relies on our primary industry, the FU-24 and the DC3 top dressers were common sights in our sky's and were responsible for our early economic development. 

My favourite is still Jean Batten, but any that you and I have mentioned would be preferable to the Caribou! Someone didn't do their research. 

Cheers

Terry

Edited by Lord Farringdon

No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.

Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!

Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-10700 CPU @2.90Ghz, 32GB RAM,  NVIDEA GeForce RTX 3060, 12GB VRAM, Samsung QN70A 4k 65inch TV with VRR 120Hz Free Sync (G-Sync Compatible). 

Boeing Thrustmaster TCA Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant, Turtle Beach Velocity One Rudder Pedals.   

I also think they should have added Ardmore airport, quite famous and the only airport in NZ where I was cut off on downwind by a spitfire while flying a 172

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

Local legends aren’t always related to the country.

They were intended to be but Asobo messed that up with the C195 and now the DHC-4.

The team is proud to announce a new series of releases called “Local Legends” that will frequently coincide with World Updates. These aircraft are famous in the region of the world update, but often are not as well known to a worldwide audience.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lord Farringdon said:

Quite agree @Adamski_NZ.  Add the Bristol freighter operated by the RNZAF and Safe Air and of course the ubiquitous FU-24 Fletcher top dressing aircraft. Some 700 hundred of them built in NZ under license. As a country that relies on our primary industry, the FU-24 and the DC3 top dressers were common sights in our sky's and were responsible for our early economic development.

The Bristol Freighter would be great too. I loved the Fu24s in P3D. Both are definitely "iconic'.

5 minutes ago, bendead said:

I also think they should have added Ardmore airport, quite famous and the only airport in NZ where I was cut off on downwind by a spitfire while flying a 172

Is NZAR not part of the update? Is NZMF?

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

Just now, Adamski_NZ said:

Is NZAR not part of the update? Is NZMF?

Here is the list :

spacer.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bendead said:

Here is the list :

spacer.png

Quinton Lodge, Tepaco, Rotorua and Milford sound all have excellent freeware already but the other additions will be really useful.