Bobsk8

Fenix A320 or PMDG 737

Fenix A 320 versus PMDG 737 Preference.   

302 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you like to fly the most

• Fenix Airbus A 320
    • PMDG 737
    • Like flying Both A 320 and PMDG equally

Am debating getting the 737, I really like the A 320 now, and wondering if users of both aircraft have a preference as to which they like to fly the most. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

PMDG is easier on FPS, has all variants, more in-depth FS2Crew. It lacks EFB and Simbrief integration that Fenix perfectly crafted. With that being said, there is no clear winner for me.

Also, Fenix future is unknown, while PMDG is full of plans and ambitions, providing constant updates, albeit some of us have an allergy to Mr. Randazzo lengthy marketing posts. 

Edited by G-YMML1
  • Like 3

I really like both but the 737 has the edge for me. A big portion of this are the frame rates. I also like that the work load is marginally higher and I have a personal preference for yoke over joystick. 

I enjoy both and find that I move through periods of using each. I flew the FENIX exclusively for the first three weeks of January and now I find myself coming back tot he 737 and will likely fly it for for a while. I think if I had to pick one it would be the 737 mainly because of the reasons that G-YMML1 noted above, and while it is lacking an EFB and integration I know that will in time come -- hopefully by 2024. Having the passenger, cargo and business versions is great and opens up more kinds of operations. I do wish PMDG would go a little deeper in the simulation and add windows that open and a more in-depth electrical system with working circuit breakers -- something that can be done now that we do not have the limitations in P3D. I enjoyed pulling the breakers in the 320 and then looking for how it affected the operation of the plane.

• Upvote 1

Dan Scott

Preference for the PMDG by a 65/35 usage split. But its not because the Fenix is bad. Its more airbus overuse fatigue when the only option available was the FBW for a long while. I will also give the PMDG the edge for having variants so i can do BBJ flights into more regional/metro airports.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Viotek 3440x1440p Freesync / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

My two most flown aircraft, I seem to go through periods of spending weeks/months on one and then going back to the other (some GA in there as well).  I have been back on the 737 kick for the past several weeks.  It is a different type of flying from the 320 and I also like using my Boeing yoke!  At some point I will hit a wall and go back to the 320 but for now, the 737 is more enjoyable for me...

Edited by Flic1
  • Like 2

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

3 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Am debating getting the 737, I really like the A 320 now, and wondering if users of both aircraft have a preference as to which they like to fly the most. 

Be sure you get the 600 for your trial. It functions EXACTLY as the other three and it costs a mere 34.95 or so which is an unbeatable price for such a high quality addon. 

I prefer my Fenix btw, but I own all 3 PMDG birds, and will buy the 900. What can I say, I’m retired and this is my only hobby  

-B

Edited by btacon
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, Flic1 said:

I have been back on the 737 kick for the past several weeks.  It is a different type of flying from the 320 and I also like using my Boeing yoke!

I just started w/ Airbus of any kind a couple of weeks ago and I too have the fabulous Boeing Yoke!  I find it's totally fine if in appropriate for the FBW 320NX.  BTW, the FBW's VNAV works great now, is importing both MSFS WM and SimBrief OFPs, and they even had good news on the occasional stutters/pauses that can happen during taxi especially.  I had a chance to test it and all of these had resolved though they are still looking at optimizing further.  I can emphatically state it's on a par w/ PMDG 738 for frame rate per se.  I've been tempted to do Fenix but it's a real tough sell to me now as the FBW is too good already.  The perf optimization hasn't yet been vetted to insert into any of their current versions but soon they say.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

The 737NG is good, but not great, IMHO. If you like the ease of interaction with the Fenix (or especially FBW), you will be frustrated by having to root around sub-pages of pages within menus and sub-menus of the PMDG FMC.

More reasons why I feel the way I do about the PMDG 737NG:

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/620859-first-look-pmdg-737-update/?do=findComment&comment=4800087

Consider any of the FFX HondaJet, FFX Cirrus Vision Jet or freeware Working Title CJ4. These are superior in texturing, sounds & ease of user interface.

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

40 minutes ago, Flic1 said:

My two most flown aircraft, I seem to go through periods of spending weeks/months on one and then going back to the other (some GA in there as well).  I have been back on the 737 kick for the past several weeks.  It is a different type of flying from the 320 and I also like using my Boeing yoke!  At some point I will hit a wall and go back to the 320 but for now, the 737 is more enjoyable for me...

This goes for me as well. I am constantly switching between the PMDG 737 variants ( I have the 700 and 600) and the Fenix A320. Prior to MSFS, I never flew tubeliners and was exclusively a GA sim pilot. But, I got into both the 737-700 and A320 when they both were released and have enjoyed them both. As soon as I have a few days of flying in one bird, I want to go fly the other one. And so, back and forth it goes. I do agree that the PMDG 737's peform better in MSFS in regards to smoothness and FPS, but opn my system the A320 still performs smooth and well also. Just not quite as good. But, love both aircraft in MSFS 🙂 

• Upvote 2

AMD Ryzen 7800X3D & Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master MB, w/32 Gb GSkill DDR5 RAM, MSI 4090 GPU, lots of SSD's and M.2 drives, Fractal Torrent Case, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, Virpil Constellation Alpha Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Yoke Boeing Edition and MFG Rudder pedals. Currently on Win11

I like the more "old school" feel of the 737. I just had a flight with the Fenix and I am still having issues with ATC, the same issues as I have with the A 310( a wonderful plane too, and it's free). I know these issues are MSFS's issues but some planes are worse than others. I don't recall if the 737 has the same ATC problems as the airbusses. IMHO you can't really go wrong with either.

Also depends on what hardware you already have. If you just have a yoke then the 737 is your plane, on the other hand, if you have the ThrustMaster Airbus stick you can make that choice, just remember the modern airbusses use the joystick.

ROG MAXIMUS X HERO, Intel Core i7 8700K, 32 GB's 3200 RAM, Gigabyte RTX3080,

8 minutes ago, btacon said:

and will buy the 900

Hoping that you won't be waiting too much longer now.  She's a joy to fly like the other models...and when you go from a -600 to a -900, the -600 looks ridiculously short and stubby! 🤣

ItUR4u.jpg

I fly the 737 way more than the A320 due to beta testing, and I enjoy her more to answer Bob's question, I've always been a Boeing guy.  Not that the Airbus is not capable, just prefer the 737.

• Like 3

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

24 minutes ago, btacon said:

Be sure you get the 600 for your trial. It functions EXACTLY as the other three and it costs a mere 34.95 or so which is an unbeatable price for such a high quality addon. 

Fantastic advice!  The -600 is one of the best aircraft deals in MSFS right now!  You can start with JANET flights out of KLAS....always fun.

• Like 1

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

737 because

- higher manual workload

- yoke

- a freighter version included

- better FPS

- full honeycomb autopilot control

With

- Simbrief and the ingame simbrief panel

- Navigraph and the ingame navigraph panel

- aviaworx remote CDU on my iPAD

i dont miss an EFB anymore.

I fly hours and hours in my 737-700 and my Fenix collecting dust (i am even flying my Twin Otter more now...)

Regards, Jan Ast

Win 11 PC | Ryzen 7800 X3D | RTX 3080 Ti | LG 42 C2
Cockpit 😉 | TrackIR 5 | Octavia IFR-1 | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil CM3 Throttle, Virpil Sharka Control Panel | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | TM TPM Rudder

Bob,

IMO they're both MUST HAVE !!! in MFS.

I have owned the first PMDG 737, for fs9, as well as the 744, and then the 777 for FSX and P3D, and I think this MFS version excels compared to those.

Boeing is Boeing, Airbus is Airbus, each on it's own they're great airliners and both Fenix and PMDG have been able to create extraordinary recreations of their real counterparts, from the systems to even some aspects of what I believe should be the feel of flight of such aircraft, and also graphically OFC.

I am sure you won't regret spending some $$ in the 737. I bought the 736 because it was cheaper, but I will most surely buy the 777 and who knows, a 757 or 787 if released one day 🙂

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...