Fenix A320 or PMDG 737

Fenix A 320 versus PMDG 737 Preference.   

302 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you like to fly the most

• Fenix Airbus A 320
    • PMDG 737
    • Like flying Both A 320 and PMDG equally

1 hour ago, sdirand said:

We also have many frequent updates for the PMDG 737 while the Fenix A320 is in a sort of hold lately. They had to release the IAE version but no news about it. I'm not sure we will see the A319 & A321 one day while you will be able to buy the complete 737 family with PMDG.

From what I understand Fenix has bigger issues now with some of the programers situations that have nothing to do with flight simming. Lets just leave it at that.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I'm a long-time PMDG 737 user in P3D and it was impending availability of it in MSFS that led to me making the switch from P3D.  Whilst waiting for release of the MSFS 737-800, which was free to me because I'd bought the P3D version at the right time to get the bonus MSFS bonus offer, I bought the Fenix A320, which is marginally cheaper than the PMDG 737-800.

I expected this to be something of a stop-gap and to be alternating between the A320 in MSFS and the B738 in P3D until PMDG released the MSFS 737-800, but in fact I've haven't loaded P3D once since.  

I have now got both the A320 and 737-800 in MSFS.  Because the PMDG 737-800 doesn't have the EFB, it doesn't feel quite "finished" compared to the Fenix A320 and I'm surprised that I've reverted to flying the Airbus after trying out the 737.  I don't think I'll finally make a decision until the PMDG has the EFB.  It's anyone's guess when that will be and if you have the cash and can't wait, the Fenix certainly won't disappoint you.  It may be a bit heavier on FPS but to be honest, I think the Fenix cockpit looks better, sharper, especially now I've found GamingCat's free enhanced cockpit textures.  Nevertheless, I can run the Fenix without stutters on my 2 year old PC (10850k, RTX380, 32gb, 3000mhz, CoolerMaster liquid cooler) on MSFS "High End" settings with terrain LOD at 150 rather than 100.  

I'm also a long time user of FS2Crew with PMDG products. I'm not sure about you.  If you are, one thing to bear in mind is that the Fenix cockpit is programmed in such a way that, unlike in the PMDG 737, the FS2Crew co-pilot CANNOT interact with the Fenix FCU panel.  I believe this is a licencing issue, not a technical one, so it may be overcome eventually, but in the meantime, the FS2Crew co-pilot CANNOT select a heading or altitude, switch the autopilot on or off etc as he (or she) would in PMDG, although he can operate the flaps, gear, overhead panel etc.  This does make the overall Fenix aircraft + FS2Crew package less comprehensive than the PMDG equivalent.

They're both good.  If pressed, whilst the PMDG 737 hasn't got the EFB, I'd say get the Fenix A320.and that shocks me.

• Like 1

ngxu_banner.png

I like them both but the 737 feels more complete to me on the systems and avionics side, despite missing the efb.  Now when fenix release their custom engine model my opinion on that may change.  

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero

3 hours ago, ailchim said:

I'm a long-time PMDG 737 user in P3D and it was impending availability of it in MSFS that led to me making the switch from P3D.  Whilst waiting for release of the MSFS 737-800, which was free to me because I'd bought the P3D version at the right time to get the bonus MSFS bonus offer, I bought the Fenix A320, which is marginally cheaper than the PMDG 737-800.

I expected this to be something of a stop-gap and to be alternating between the A320 in MSFS and the B738 in P3D until PMDG released the MSFS 737-800, but in fact I've haven't loaded P3D once since.  

I have now got both the A320 and 737-800 in MSFS.  Because the PMDG 737-800 doesn't have the EFB, it doesn't feel quite "finished" compared to the Fenix A320 and I'm surprised that I've reverted to flying the Airbus after trying out the 737.  I don't think I'll finally make a decision until the PMDG has the EFB.  It's anyone's guess when that will be and if you have the cash and can't wait, the Fenix certainly won't disappoint you.  It may be a bit heavier on FPS but to be honest, I think the Fenix cockpit looks better, sharper, especially now I've found GamingCat's free enhanced cockpit textures.  Nevertheless, I can run the Fenix without stutters on my 2 year old PC (10850k, RTX380, 32gb, 3000mhz, CoolerMaster liquid cooler) on MSFS "High End" settings with terrain LOD at 150 rather than 100.  

I'm also a long time user of FS2Crew with PMDG products. I'm not sure about you.  If you are, one thing to bear in mind is that the Fenix cockpit is programmed in such a way that, unlike in the PMDG 737, the FS2Crew co-pilot CANNOT interact with the Fenix FCU panel.  I believe this is a licencing issue, not a technical one, so it may be overcome eventually, but in the meantime, the FS2Crew co-pilot CANNOT select a heading or altitude, switch the autopilot on or off etc as he (or she) would in PMDG, although he can operate the flaps, gear, overhead panel etc.  This does make the overall Fenix aircraft + FS2Crew package less comprehensive than the PMDG equivalent.

They're both good.  If pressed, whilst the PMDG 737 hasn't got the EFB, I'd say get the Fenix A320.and that shocks me.

What I find strange is that the Fenix EFB program was written by a pilot, who programmed it in her spare time. You would think  that PMDG would have been able to come up with something after almost 3 years. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

There is a certain "feel" to PMDG addons that other addon makers can't seem to replicate. I can't say for sure what it is, but it is. For that reason, I prefer the PMDG. That being said, the Fenix is also a great addon. The PMDG also has a BBJ variant, so I can pretend it's mine. Hehe 🙂

I appreciate the EFB on the Fenix, being a VR flyer because once you're on the flight deck, you don't have to leave it for any reason. In the PMDG, I have to bring up the desktop to see plans and weather, so that is an advantage for the Fenix.

But I have both, and I will continue to fly both.

• Upvote 1

An option I don't see get kicked around a lot, is buying the 737, and using the FBW A320. I know there are a lot of differences between the FBW and Fenix, it is a great option if you can only afford, or want to buy, one of the two.

It's what I did. I really enjoy the FBW and haven't felt a need to upgrade to the Fenix, yet.

The Fenix A320 is to me just a better addon than the PMDG 737. Visuals are way better, cockpit, cabine and exterior are better modeled, the texturing is also better, same goes for the screen or the animation, the wingflex for exemple. Fenix is so accurate visually you sometime believe it is real life, just look at the riveting on the wing when the sun hit the different material it is incredible.

Also the system are better, VNAV and LNAV are flawless, PMDG still has progress to do on that side. You got circuit breaker modeled and a high number of panne. 
the EFB is the best I have seen in a payware product intuitive, powerful pretty and enjoyable, the PMDG still has none. 
You got ACARS cleverly synced with the EFB and Simbrief.

On the flight model side both are very good, I might be the only one but to me it is easier to land the Fenix than it is to land the PMDG.

The 320 is cheaper than the 737 abd those guy are working on a V2 wich will be even better and free of charge with improved everything.

The only place were PMDG shine over Fenix to me is fuel consumption. Fenix always consume less than it should apparently that is about to be solved in the upcoming V2. Also performances is a bit better with PMDG, a very optimized plane almost as good as default planes 

I might be a bit biased because I’m an airbus guy but really, to me the Fenix is better and I even stopped using the 737 until they are updated with the EFB

Edited by cyril972
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, cyril972 said:

The only place were PMDG shine over Fenix to me is fuel consumption. Fenix always consume less than it should apparently that is about to be solved in the upcoming V2.

Interesting. When I fly I usually have 0.2 or 0.3 tons less in the tank than Simbrief and the FMC expected. 🙂

7 minutes ago, crimplene said:

Interesting. When I fly I usually have 0.2 or 0.3 tons less in the tank than Simbrief and the FMC expected. 🙂

I’am using the simbrief A320 profile provided by Fenix, on a 2hour flight I will usually end up with 0.5 to 0.6 tons more fuel remaining than predicted. That is because the plane consume less on cruise than it should so the longer the cruise is the larger is the difference 

46 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

What I find strange is that the Fenix EFB program was written by a pilot, who programmed it in her spare time. You would think  that PMDG would have been able to come up with something after almost 3 years. 

You forget the fact that Fenix use an external program and because of that, it will never be available on the msfs marketplace and on xbox. But it is way easier to code.

PMDG absolutely wants to acces the marketplace and the xbox users and this is a smart decision because that is a huge part of the cake. The drawback is that it is not as simple to develop. If they would have use external code, we would have a tablet long ago.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, sdirand said:

You forget the fact that Fenix use an external program and because of that, it will never be available on the msfs marketplace and on xbox. But it is way easier to code.

PMDG absolutely wants to acces the marketplace and the xbox users and this is a smart decision because that is a huge part of the cake. The drawback is that it is not as simple to develop. If they would have use external code, we would have a tablet long ago.

Don't A2A aircraft and the Majestic Q400 do the same thing?

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Fenix for me, The EFB was a master stroke, Some have yet to equal.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

Bob, reading in your other posts how much you love airliner flying, I'm gobsmacked you don't own the 737 yet. I know you love the Fenix, and even if you didn't enjoy the PMDG quite as much, I'm sure you'd still enjoy it. It's a fantastic, immersive, fun aircraft; even completely aside from any comparisons with, and preferences for, the Fenix.

Get it!

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

737  because I am a Boeing guy  I flew the FBW a lot when it first came out because it was the only quality airliner available, and airliners is what I fly.  When the 737 became available, that's all I fly right now.  I like flying with a yoke and I prefer Boeing's philosophy on the technical aspect.

When PMDG comes out with the 777, I'm there.  All my hardware is for Boeing, CDU, MCP, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, yoke, and switches.  Also I have 4 screens, 47" for forward view outside and 3 20" screens for the PFD NAV, and engines.  I also use Aviaserver for the CDU"s, so the EFB is unimportant to me.

Gnacino

1 hour ago, JYW said:

Bob, reading in your other posts how much you love airliner flying, I'm gobsmacked you don't own the 737 yet. I know you love the Fenix, and even if you didn't enjoy the PMDG quite as much, I'm sure you'd still enjoy it. It's a fantastic, immersive, fun aircraft; even completely aside from any comparisons with, and preferences for, the Fenix.

Get it!

I probably got around 4000+ hours in the PMDG 737 in P3D. I got bored with it after awhile, and stopped flying it back then..