Sign in to follow this  
Jazz

PMDG 737 Ground Steering SInce MSFS Update

This had its problems, especially trying to turn tight turns but it wasn't terrible. It would turn pretty well below 10 but if you wanted to use maximum deflection it really needed to be below 5. Then, a few days before the release of the MSFS update PMDG released an update that did imporove the handling. The low speed stuff felt mostly the same as before but overall it was better. Then the MSFS update arrived and I don't know if this has happened to anyone else but now the damned thing barely steers at all. I mean, it's laughable. It just ploughs straight on. The nose wheel simply isn't attached to the ground or is covered in teflon or something. Although I realised its issues before, I was still able to enjoy taxiing about but now it's infuriating. What on earth happned in the last MSFS update to bork this up so badly?

Or am I the only one seeing this for some reason? I'm considering reinstalling the aircraft and making sure something didn't become messed up somehow during that update because I'm amazed that I have seen no posts here or over at PMDG about this which makes me wonder if it's only me seeing this all of a sudden. Honestly, it's so bad I immediately assumed that the update had messed my tiller config up. I was certain of it but when I checked my controls everything was fine. The nosewheel simply isn't gripping. In order to turn anything of substance I have to drop back to a ground speed of 3 and use asymetric thrust and even then it still feels like it's sliding. It's prepostrous.

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

Will have to check that. Thx for calling my attention - and it's been quite a while since I last used the 737 ... Time for testing and will report back later tday

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

10 minutes ago, cagarini said:

Will have to check that. Thx for calling my attention - and it's been quite a while since I last used the 737 ... Time for testing and will report back later tday

I would love some feedback to find out if it's just me or not. Whatever it is, I'm not imagining it. It's comical how it's behaving for me since the MSFS update. It's not behaving anything close to the way it did. Like trying to steer it through sludge now.

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

I've just tried it out and seen what you mean. Tight turns (above 45 degrees) are impossible above 10kts and it feels really weird in general in tight turns. From the exterior view the nosewheel is completely moved but seems to be just skidding over the ground.
EDIT: And yes, this was def not the case before AAU1.

Edited by Fiorentoni
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I did a sim flight in the -700 today; taxiing was normal for me, sorry.  You do have to slow way down for anything near a max deflection turn, but it's been like that for a lot longer than this last update.  I agree that could still use some work, but it's not too bad... But yeah, I see no change since the MSFS update.

Edited by Stearmandriver
  • Like 1

Andrew Crowley

Yes. You have to really slow down to establish tight turns. Is this normal?

• Like 1

C. Uygar

Aircraft Maint. Engineer. at LTFJ

What were the weather prevailing conditions, was it wet, icy, frost conditions, at any rate It's inadvisable to be making tight turns above 10kts as the nose wheel will potentially skid sideways, I only know this as I've had it happen in the real world on an A320 and B747 

• Upvote 1

FAA ATP, CASA ATPL(A), MEIR, NVFR, Type Rated: A320, B747,B737, E120, B1900D/C KA350,

Multi Ratings: PA31-350, BE58, C310, PN68, PA44, BE76.

Checked out on: C210, R114, C206, PA28, C172, C152.

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-7900X CPU @ 3.30GHz (20 CPUs), ~3.3GHzMemory: 64MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, Multi Monitor.

35 minutes ago, toucanair said:

What were the weather prevailing conditions, was it wet, icy, frost conditions, at any rate It's inadvisable to be making tight turns above 10kts as the nose wheel will potentially skid sideways, I only know this as I've had it happen in the real world on an A320 and B747 

No this is not what we are talking about. Please re-read the very first post, especially this part: " In order to turn anything of substance I have to drop back to a ground speed of 3 and use asymetric thrust and even then it still feels like it's sliding", this is exactly what's happening to me too and this has nothing to do with the real aircraft.

• Upvote 1

You're really better off to post on PMDG's official support forum. The developers are there and can either explain why it's operating that way or it will let them know that there's an issue.

• Like 1

NAX669.png

I don't have the 737 yet, but it sounds to me like the A320 does react if you tried to turn it with rudders only when it has the tiller active in the options ...

So : is there a tiller mode on the PMDG 737 and if yes, maybe it is active now after the update ?

4 minutes ago, mwilk said:

You're really better off to post on PMDG's official support forum. The developers are there and can either explain why it's operating that way or it will let them know that there's an issue.

Not even that. Just go put in a ticket. I've gotten replies from Chris literally in 5 minutes that are way more useful than some forum dweller telling me to sign my name. 

• Like 2

PMDG had a massive issue with this exact problem in P3D. They had to change it to allow the user the old way of turning as an option. Of course RSR said their turning behavior was beyond reproach but that they would put an option into it to make it much easier to turn. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Eric 

I am not sure what a "turn of substance" might be. Normal taxiline turns on airports are good. I tried some 90 degree turns with 18 to 20 knots (which is considered way to fast, afaik), all was fine, the 737-800 took the turn easily. If a "turn of substance" means something like turning the plane around on the spot, you need a nose wheel deflection above 30 degrees or so (It can deflect by 50 degrees or even more, I think). But with any speed over walking speed the momentum of the plane and the fact that almost all the weight of the plane is in the center above the main wheels, would cause the nose wheel to slide in reality. I tried and had to keep the GS below 4 knots to make very tight turns. For me that feels realistic. But I am by no means a real pilot.

I compared this with the default 787. The Dreamliner behaves like a very heavy drunk - you have to shove it and shout at it until it turns. 737 is much better.

Edited by crimplene
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, crimplene said:

I tried some 90 degree turns with 18 to 20 knots (which is considered way to fast, afaik), all was fine, the 737-800 took the turn easily.

Alright so I can't even do this with 8 kts, this means something is wrong on my side (you tried post-AAU1 and with the latest PMDG update, yes?). Do you use the pedals + tiller option?

10 minutes ago, Fiorentoni said:

Alright so I can't even do this with 8 kts, this means something is wrong on my side (you tried post-AAU1 and with the latest PMDG update, yes?). Do you use the pedals + tiller option?

Post update, latest 737 version, yes. I used the rudder axis of my joystick. Did you look at the nosewheel how much it deflects when the plane moves? Does it turn with you steering input? Maybe something with control settings is off. As far as I could see the turning speed of the plane and wheel infection relate very well in normal turns.

Edited by crimplene