Sign in to follow this  
vonmar

Navigating J-routes + ATC

Guest looneytoon1975

Hello fellow flightsimmersI have a navigating-question.How can i navigate J-routes? For example, I fly an oversees flight. My J-route changes intersection about 4 times or so. An intersection isn't a VOR or a "thing" that i can tune into. How do I know where the intersection is, and when to turn to where?Also, am i required to listen to ATC on a flight? If my plan says "turn right" and ATC says "turn left", then what should I do?Tnx for the help,rgrds,Looney

If you're on a J-route inside a country then intersections should be able to be resolved by tuning to the appropriate VORs and radials, all you need are the high level J-route charts to know which VORs (you probably figured that there's a reason why any instrument flight needs to have the appropriate charts in the cockpit).Routes over water will require RNAV, so you need a GPS at least.If you've filed a plan that needs a left turn and ATC says "turn right", always do what ATC says. A filed flight plan is just a plan, not a clearance. Bruce.

Guest RonB49

Hi Looney,Welcome. The easiest way is to use a flight planner software that will give you a *.pln file as output. Try the default flight planner built into FS first because it is free and you already have it. It gives you the options of Lo Alt airways (V-routes), Hi Alt airways (J-routes), or direct-to great circle routing.Once you have a flight plan file, then you can load that into your default GPS and you'll see the intersections as well as VORs, NDBs, and airports on the GPS screen. Now you can hand fly your plane and follow the flight plan or couple your autopilot to the GPS and sit back and relax.You also ask, 'Also, am i required to listen to ATC on a flight? If my plan says "turn right" and ATC says "turn left", then what should I do?' In the simulator the use of ATC is your choice. If you are using ATC, then like the real world, ATC instruction trumps flight plan.R-

Guest looneytoon1975

Thank you!Now I'll be able to start my trip from portland to honolulu.Just one more thing, in the pre-GPS ages, how did the airline pilots managed to fly oversees?Tnx again, and good flying.regards,Looney

>Thank you!>>Now I'll be able to start my trip from portland to honolulu.>Just one more thing, in the pre-GPS ages, how did the airline>pilots managed to fly oversees?>>Tnx again, and good flying.>>regards,>>LooneyFlight Engineer (stars, etc)/charts/low freq navaids - you tune'em - and plot'em radio fixes, INS (internal nav systems - gyros .... good weather reports, skill ... luck ... nerve ... carry reserve fuel ... pray ... etc!

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW