Sign in to follow this  
hefy_jefy

DC-3 Take off from 7,000ft + airport

This caught me by surprise. Trying to take off fully loaded from an airstrip at 7,000 ft, (Flagstaff AZ) might just be possible but I couldn't manage it no matter how carefully I nursed the speed v rate of climb.

Not sure how accurate this is (I have the Duckworks mod), one notch of flaps and full boost gets you near 55" MP and a lot more power, even then it requires care and you had better get the undercarriage up PDQ.

Did the real DC-3s have boost?  And under these conditions is full rich mixture a good idea?

Geoff

Here is a link to the aeroworx DC3 with specific details for all phases of flight.

https://www.aeroworx.co.za/flying-the-dc3/

The developer of the plane is Johann Van Wyk. I have contact with him through my VA dc3airways.net and fly with him and others via our Multi Play link. If you sign on as a pilot you will be able to reach him and others who know the x-plane  version of the DC3 inside and out.

www.dc3airways.net

Sherm

Director Public Relations 

Thats a good question and I wanted to know the answer.

This, http://www.douglasdc3.com/dc3throt/dc3throt.htm says that is normal. 

As to your own DC-3, don't remove the stops, but, also, don't ever take that airplane to Jefferson County, CO or Laramie, WY, you'll run off the end of the runway trying to get airborne. On a non modified throttle quadrant, you'll hit the stops and be pulling 47.5" on takeoff from a 5,000 ft. elevation runway. If you look at the charts, that's exactly rated takeoff power for that altitude on a standard day.

• Like 1

Alienware Aurora R13, i9 12900K, Z690, 3080ti, 64GB DDR5, 2TB NVMe