Sign in to follow this  
vonmar

Jeppesen SimChart4.0

So I was browsing a few charts and came back across SimCharts 4.0. Does any one here use these charts in FSX? Also, it appears that they have changed to a one time cost versus an annual subscription. Can any one verify this? Their website did clarify..Bman.

Benjamin Van Eps

Thanks for the reply Scoob. Yes, I have plenty of site bookmarked for navigation in general. I was just curious to know if folks found it worth it to have "in-flight" access to these charts.Not only in-flight access but I would also save a tone load of paper from not having to print out charts all the time.So, what I really am curious to know is what folks think of the functionality of SimCharts 4 compared to going to your favorite nav site and printing out the charts you like.However, thanks again for the post. Bman.

Benjamin Van Eps

I have SimCharts 3 (all three CD's to cover the world) and SimCharts v4 which is internet access only. I have not heard that v4 has changed from an annual subscription to one time pay... since it is by internet access I can't imagine that being true. I was working on a review of SimCharts but with the preceding seven months of computer problems have only recently had the computer working well enough to allow more consistent testing. I'll get something out soon for all to read.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Cool thanks. Yeah, I read that Jeppesen had their wires crossed. Their website at one time said this was an annual subscription (to access their chart server). In fact the one time cost is for the life of FSX. I have used Sim Charts 3.0. It's cool but the whole color / integrated portion looks nice.Bman.

Benjamin Van Eps

Guest triangle

I have it and understand that 4.0 is one time only - I paid $AUS60 for it. It's great because every chart is available online using a neat utility so I just print out what I need before a flight and off I go. For $AUS60 it's pretty convenient.However, the in-game use is poor - SimCharts 4.0 is not an integrated utlity so you can only view it when you have FSX running in a window. In addition, it massively bogs down FSX to the point where you cannot fly.Hope this helps.Andrew

Guest Hawk78

Hi,How do you make sure SimCharts 4.0 isn't running within FSX (ie turning off the auto loading for ingame use when launching FSX)?Thanks,Aleks

I went ahead and bought it, SimCharts 4.0.The charts are handy. Here are my initial comments.In game FPS is about a 4 FPS hit as far as I can tell. That seems a little steep given it only maps a little arrow and line on the approach chart for you. I think there is a hot key to bring the maps up and down. It seems the resolution of the charts could be a little higher.I can't seem to find any colored charts as shown on the order page. Outside of those things, having the charts right there is handy. Bman.

Benjamin Van Eps

I have the simcharts 4.0 and like them. The fps hit for me is minimal - I run fsx on a hp laptop core2duo 2.0, 2 gigs ram, 512mb nvidia 7000, xp pro. Money well spent. Dave

Is simchart version 4 for FX only?

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Simcharts 4.0 is for FSX only - I think simply because is is listed under the Add-on toolbar. This allows the plane to track over the charts.I believe you can still get simcharts 3.0 which is independent of flight sim as a whole.Bman.

Benjamin Van Eps

OK,Thanks for the information.Guess I will wait til I am fully converted from FS9 to FX (I recon 2 yrs or so for hardware/software upgrades) because SimCharts 3.0 is only on CD (correct?) and as such would be far out of date over the online charts from the FAA (on-line site) ... updated monthly.

Best Regards,

Well, the fact is that the charts used while FSX was developed was long ago. I believe the charts for FSX are from a 2005 cycle. I may be wrong but they are not "current" that's for certain. With that being said, the charts in SimCharts 4.0 are never updated so they will always remain in check with FSX. Until you are FSX bound, there are many online services that are free that will give you plenty of chart information (in fact the exact same) but you just have to browse for it. Bman.

Benjamin Van Eps

Bman,Thanks a lot for that important information.I "assumed" the on-line charts yould be "current" cycle.I am flying alot online (AVSIM) and I need up to date (current) charts.Now I understand why it is a one time fee for the "life" of FSX ... all old chart data!No thanks, I will stick with the FAA charts.But, thanks again for the heads up on the fine poins of SimCharts!

Best Regards,