Sign in to follow this  
hangar

Question about Wind Shifts/Turbulence Effects

So my question pertains to how unstable GA aircraft become on final approach in the sim during real weather windy approaches (tail wagging and instability) due to how MSFS handles this.

I've heard some of you call it turbulence effects and others call it micro wind shifts.

I'd like to know, since FSUIPC seems to have no impact on weather in MSFS these days, is there any way for the user to adjust these wind shifts or amount of turb. (without turning off real weather and customizing it yourself of course)?

Edited by hangar

I'm seeing this with the jets.

Fenix actually got thrown off the ILS it was so bad. Then tried same app in PMDG, almost same, wild ride too but got it down. Would have been throwing up in the back.

It didn't strike me as unmanageble/abnormal wind. Maybe 12-15kts slightly off the right, gusty.

• Like 1

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

There will be a new setting for this in SU12, as some people don't like the behaviour since SU11. 
PMDG actually adjusted their B&£& flight modelling a bit to try to tone it down.

Personally I think the planes move around a little bit too much relative to the wind speed, so I will be turning it down a notch.
Some of it is due to the new thermals / turbulence modelling.  

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 3

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

1 minute ago, bobcat999 said:

There will be a new setting for this in SU12, as some people don't like it. 
Personally I think the planes move around a little bit too much relative to the wind speed, so I will be turning it down a notch.
Some of it is due to the new thermals / turbulence modelling.  

The new setting will be " On Rails Mode"    🤪

• Like 6

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

Just now, Bobsk8 said:

:laugh:  No, people won't stand for that, it will just be adjustable. 

• Upvote 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

25 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Well, if "on rails" now means "14 gusting to 15 doesn't knock your plane around in the sky like Mike Tyson" then I guess I'm OK with "on rails."

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

The turbulence issues are qualitative, more to do with it being modelled wrong (rotating the aircraft around the CoG instead of shifting it up/down/sideways) rather than quantitative with the amount being excessive. 

What compounds this is during the middle of the day it is far too common, and of course, the middle of the day is when most people choose to fly in-game.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 3

After flying "on rails" for all these years we just have to get used to realism. Whether the effect is exaggerated I can't say (not a real pilot) but after watching a few video's of light aircraft landing at mid-day it doesn't seem too bad. Agree that flightmodels could cause some aircraft to behave better than others.

What I don't like though is that even with tiedowns, parked aircraft still bounce around and even get blown all over the ramp. Don't know if that's a sim issue or perhaps the flightmodel should take these tiedowns into account.

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

The turbulence isn't always realistic though. Yesterday I was flying the TBM around the Caribbean in real weather. Scattered clouds at low level and 15kt crosswind at my altitude of FL230. The plane was snapping back and forth like I was flying in a hurricane. It was the first time I've seen turbulence that over the top, but I know others have been dealing with it a long time.

Yep, that happens all the time... but it's not the wind itself that causes the issue, but how the sim processes it within it's real weather mode and mixes it with other effects like wind gusts and directional change gusts that are out of hand as far as how it affects one's aircraft...especially the lighter GA stuff.

I'm not certain which is more at fault... how the real weather is being processed or how the airframes are reacting to it... but it needs to be adjustable with a 5 setting slider of sorts so you can tone it down by 0%, 25%, 50%, 75%, 100%.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, orchestra_nl said:

After flying "on rails" for all these years we just have to get used to realism. Whether the effect is exaggerated I can't say (not a real pilot) but after watching a few video's of light aircraft landing at mid-day it doesn't seem too bad.

It doesn't happen with every flight, but when the aircraft gets thrown around on approach like it's being hit with constant micro-bursts and the crosswind is in the 5-15 kt area, it's just not realistic. At all.

I did most of my RW flying in northern Illinois - our strip had tall trees on both sides so it was a little sheltered when approaching ground effect, but either approach put you in some pretty steady crosswinds with the wide open fields to the north and west.  Even on gusty days we didn't get thrown all over the place like FS is doing now.  The worst approach I ever had to handle personally was with a 45 kt. headwind in a 172 (if it hadn't been a headwind we wouldn't have been able to land).  Even with that wind, I wasn't thrown around like we have been recently in FS.

In my about 10 years of flying only twice did I get thrown around like that.  On a turboprop into a coastal airport on the edge of a thunderstorm and on an approach into Maine on an extra-gusty day - we diverted for safety.

Now, I will say that since the most recent update, something may have changed?  All of my flights have been fairly realistic with crosswinds/gusts and I haven't been experiencing the erratic behavior that was common before...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Randall Rocke

Yeah, things get really unstable on approach now.  I was gobsmacked to set zero wind, zero gusting, nothing at all in terms of wind yesterday, and still get chucked around insanely (especially on the pitch axis) coming into land in the Carenado V35.

Something ain't right.

Bill

UK LAPL-A

Currently flying:- (GA): COWS DA-42, A2A Comanche, FSW C414, WT SR22T, FSS P2006, BlSq TBM850, FSR M500, Flyboy Rans S6S, SWS Zenith 701,C172 JT-A mod (Airliners): Fenix A320, Ini A300-600, FBW A320 NEO and PMDG737.

5 hours ago, JYW said:

Yeah, things get really unstable on approach now.  I was gobsmacked to set zero wind, zero gusting, nothing at all in terms of wind yesterday, and still get chucked around insanely (especially on the pitch axis) coming into land in the Carenado V35.

It is akin to what they did to icing at one point, and lightening at another.  Please do not ask for aspects of the environment as it will arrive totally overbaked!  Just appears to be no understanding of aviation elements, just programming!

• Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere