Sign in to follow this  
Bill A

AI Traffic & CPU Utilization?

Hi all I have noticed with my system, which yes its a 3070 but still quite high end for todays gaming, when I load AI traffic for example FS Traffic or FSLTL I get smooth performance looking around in airports and I have my frames locked at 30. Then all of a sudden after like 7 to 10 min doing flight preparations before departure when looking at certain parts to the left or right...my frames would drop to like 15-18 frames, I do not see any new traffic loaded, and sometimes the area where there is a drop would have less AI planes than an an area with more traffic where its still at 30 frames. When I check my GPU and CPU utilization looking at the view with the frame hit I notice GPU sitting at between 40 and 60 utilization and CPU between 20 to 30. So dont know if this is just poor MSFS on the single core CPU usage issue but  when I clear the AI traffic then back to a solid 30 frames...reload AI traffic and the airport is populated again and still 30 frames even the view that was prior at 15-18 frames then it might not even drop again or it might again not. Anyone else notice this huge drops that seems related to AI traffic. I have also tried lower graphics settings with no change. I also have Traffic settings set to the instructions provided by FS Traffic.

Any advice would be much applicated 

• Like 1

Asus Tuf Gaming Plus B550 - Asus Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Asus GeForce 4080 RTX OC Edition - 64GB DDR4 Ram 3600Mhz - EVGA 850W Power Supply - 2X 1 TB NVME PCIE gen 4 - Windows 10

What are your FSLTL settings? I suspect what may be happening here is you have aircraft spawning on flight plans 100's of miles away and maybe even at near by airports. As more active flight flans become active the larger the load on the CPU thread it all runs in.

I saw much the same thing with FSLTL until I made massive compromises in the active traffic settings. I now limit AI aircraft to something like 14. Which sounds low but I also have it inject some statics which and the effect is pretty convincing without hammering my performance. I still get plenty of movements at airports. Things only look thin at mega hubs like Heathrow.

Your reason may be different but I would start there.

• Like 1

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

Similarly, I've always wondered why frame rates are so drastically affected by the number of cars driving on highways. With all the massive stuff going through the CPU and GPU in a flight simulator, I wouldn't think that tiny specks of automobiles on highways would be a frame killer. But that's always been the case, regardless of sim. But then, I do have an older graphics card.

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

I think I have mine set for fairy low for how far away it populates planes

here are my current settings for FSLTL

Additional Parked Aircraft (0=disabled / 10=max): 2 (max of 30 aircraft per airport)
Max Radius to Inject Airbourne Aircraft (25-150km): 50
Max Radius to Inject Ground Aircraft (10-150km): 20

Asus Tuf Gaming Plus B550 - Asus Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Asus GeForce 4080 RTX OC Edition - 64GB DDR4 Ram 3600Mhz - EVGA 850W Power Supply - 2X 1 TB NVME PCIE gen 4 - Windows 10

I have 15 IFR aircraft and 1 for static aircraft at airports on FSLTL.

I have a mid range system, and find anything higher really tanks things, especially at busy airports.  IMO you really have to dial back a lot. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bill A said:

I think I have mine set for fairy low for how far away it populates planes

here are my current settings for FSLTL

Additional Parked Aircraft (0=disabled / 10=max): 2 (max of 30 aircraft per airport)
Max Radius to Inject Airbourne Aircraft (25-150km): 50
Max Radius to Inject Ground Aircraft (10-150km): 20

All reasonable but how many IFR planes are you injecting?

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

For IFR I have 80 set and VFR 5

13 minutes ago, Bill A said:

For IFR I have 80 set and VFR 5

Yeah, I reckon that's you're problem. Set it to 15 and no VFR. You may not like it but see if it keeps happening.

1 hour ago, Jazz said:

Yeah, I reckon that's you're problem. Set it to 15 and no VFR. You may not like it but see if it keeps happening.

Ill try that and see

Still getting massive frame drops even with the lowest settings of AI set for FSLTL.. I waited a bit to see if I'll go away and it doesn't at certain directions of the airplane, turned off the command window for FS LTL and back to 30 frames. 

Ok notice that it was still doing this even when I turned traffic off...updated video card drivers to the latest Nvidia drivers so I can rule that out. Here are some screenshots showing whats happening. After like 20 seconds then it goes to normal frames, let me know if anyone can point something out on the dev frame counter. I lock at 30 and some screenshots are at locked 30 but for this test I set frames 100% monitor refresh in FS and those would be the shots with 40-50 frames

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/17jFfIzLahiRAVQ1lHb20ba0JKtxv30VC?usp=sharing

Edited by Bill A

1 hour ago, Bill A said:

Ok notice that it was still doing this even when I turned traffic off...updated video card drivers to the latest Nvidia drivers so I can rule that out. Here are some screenshots showing whats happening. After like 20 seconds then it goes to normal frames, let me know if anyone can point something out on the dev frame counter. I lock at 30 and some screenshots are at locked 30 but for this test I set frames 100% monitor refresh in FS and those would be the shots with 40-50 frames

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/17jFfIzLahiRAVQ1lHb20ba0JKtxv30VC?usp=sharing

I'd start monitoring what my CPU is doing when it happens. What processes are running in the background? Take a look in Task Manager when it happens and see if there is something doing something intensive like anti virus or something.

Edited by Jazz

I know I use Vatsim, so I have on my second monitor running PACX, Vpilot and Navigraph Charts so yes Ill need to see what is causing rendering latency because when this is happening the rendering latency on my card is around 100+ sometimes using the Geforce Experience frame and rendering latency counter

are you running the programme in ADMIN and excluded it  from anti virus , and all that stuff ?

9900k, RTX3080 12 GB ,maximus hero XI, Arctic Freezer 280 AIO, Phanteks Mesh case, 32GB steel series ram (3000 GHZ) , x3 Samsung Evo's 480 GB for scenery, intel 1660p 2TB nvme for P3D and addons /Scenery, Adata 480GB nvme for OS win11, 2 TB SSHD for everything else, 43" LG 4K TV for the sim(1440P) , second 27" monitor for charts/ YouTube etc. Warthog Stick, TCA ( Airbus) Throttle and Logitech  pedals, Razer keyboard and mouse, oh and a usb fan to cool me down on approach !

4 hours ago, Bill A said:

If you you look at the fifth picture in the series of screenshots, your GPU time (now in purple) is registering 71.1msec, which is very long. Take the reciprocal of this and you end up with approx. 14fps, which is somewhere around what the frame rate is - which is also stating that it's limited by the GPU. So I would say that you could be looking at a GPU issue rather than a CPU issue.