Sign in to follow this  
Jack_Sawyer

60 second pause is back, begging for help.

55 minutes ago, JabbleWok said:

I'm wondering if this problem is specific to MSFS or it affects the whole system.  When MSFS pauses, is the whole computer running slow?

If you alt-tab to a different program at that time (e.g. a web browser, map software or word processor), is that also hanging or running sluggishly?

It could be.  No way of knowing though because I don’t have any other apps to run since the only thing this PC is for is MSFS.  I could try to watch a YT and see if it pauses every 60 seconds then run MSFS while a YT is running and see if the YT pauses.

Still trying to figure out ProcMon.  I have a little understanding of it but the difficult part is there are literally thousands of things running all the time and trying to figure out what to include/exclude is the problem.

Jack Sawyer

1 hour ago, Jack_Sawyer said:

I could try to watch a YT and see if it pauses every 60 seconds then run MSFS while a YT is running and see if the YT pauses.

That sounds a good ballpark way of checking that out.  If you pick a YT that runs at 4K (check the 'cog' at the bottom right) that should push it a bit, though it's more GPU dependent than CPU.  If necessary we can suggest some CPU-heavy programs to try out.

Yeah, ProcMon is useful but you need to have a good idea what you're looking for.  Right now you're still trying to figure out if the pausing is even due to CPU, let alone any particular process.  But these things are always a process of elimination (and hunches 😉)

Edited by JabbleWok
  • Like 2

The monitor will display even after you remove the Nvidia video driver. If you remove the driver and boot up MSFS it will look crappy, but  will the 60 second pause go away? If so then the Nvidia driver is the culprit. Even then, it's hard to know which of all the old Nvidia drivers will solve the issue. Might have to try several. Anyway, the Nvidia driver was the culprit for the guy on this thread:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/every-60-seconds-windows-10-freezes-cpu-usage-rises-for-2-seconds-then-resumes.3729122/

• Like 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

8 hours ago, Jack_Sawyer said:

It could be.  No way of knowing though because I don’t have any other apps to run since the only thing this PC is for is MSFS.  I could try to watch a YT and see if it pauses every 60 seconds then run MSFS while a YT is running and see if the YT pauses.

Still trying to figure out ProcMon.  I have a little understanding of it but the difficult part is there are literally thousands of things running all the time and trying to figure out what to include/exclude is the problem.

Can you download Prime95 or 3Dmark or did you already try thgose? 

• Like 1

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

15 hours ago, pete_auau said:

15 hours ago, Fielder said:

^that might be the cure^....

13 hours ago, pete_auau said:

one  can only  hope,  although  it  would  be  too easy if  it  were

This looks promising but I have a question about it.  Won't Windows automatically update itself again anyway?

Jack Sawyer

8 hours ago, JabbleWok said:

That sounds a good ballpark way of checking that out.  If you pick a YT that runs at 4K (check the 'cog' at the bottom right) that should push it a bit, though it's more GPU dependent than CPU.  If necessary we can suggest some CPU-heavy programs to try out.

Yeah, ProcMon is useful but you need to have a good idea what you're looking for.  Right now you're still trying to figure out if the pausing is even due to CPU, let alone any particular process.  But these things are always a process of elimination (and hunches 😉)

Thanks.  Exactly, ProcMon is really good but if I don't know what to look for I have no idea what to include or exclude and everything will seem to be cycling every 60 seconds.

Jack Sawyer

1 hour ago, Fielder said:

The monitor will display even after you remove the Nvidia video driver. If you remove the driver and boot up MSFS it will look crappy, but  will the 60 second pause go away? If so then the Nvidia driver is the culprit. Even then, it's hard to know which of all the old Nvidia drivers will solve the issue. Might have to try several. Anyway, the Nvidia driver was the culprit for the guy on this thread:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/every-60-seconds-windows-10-freezes-cpu-usage-rises-for-2-seconds-then-resumes.3729122/

This is brilliant.  I'm going to try this first as I save the NVIDIA drivers.  I'll go back to one that worked a while ago.

Jack Sawyer

1 hour ago, psolk said:

Can you download Prime95 or 3Dmark or did you already try thgose? 

Hi, I don't have those apps but I can download and try them.  What do they do?  Thanks.

Jack Sawyer

Just now, Jack_Sawyer said:

Hi, I don't have those apps but I can download and try them.  What do they do?  Thanks.

They will run the entire system continuously for you and stress test various components to see if the system locks up outside of MSFS...

• Like 1

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Just now, psolk said:

They will run the entire system continuously for you and stress test various components to see if the system locks up outside of MSFS...

Locks up?  This hasn't happened yet.  I was wondering if they could help troubleshooting the 60 second pause.

Jack Sawyer

1 minute ago, Jack_Sawyer said:

Locks up?  This hasn't happened yet.  I was wondering if they could help troubleshooting the 60 second pause.

A pause could be a system lockup in the background so if it happens in Prime95 or 3DMark then it is indicative of a larger system issue.  Not pointing at your system by any means but this is the best way to test the system itself "outside" MSFS... 

• Like 1

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

1 minute ago, psolk said:

A pause could be a system lockup in the background so if it happens in Prime95 or 3DMark then it is indicative of a larger system issue.  Not pointing at your system by any means but this is the best way to test the system itself "outside" MSFS... 

I see.  Ok, it’s now added to my. List of things to try.  Much appreciated.

• Like 1

Jack Sawyer

My guess is when this thread gets to 60 pages, the problem will go away. 😉

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

7 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

My guess is when this thread gets to 60 pages, the problem will go away. 😉

Why is that?  What’s the significance of 60?  And like that other guy who was asking too.  My question is why do so many people not like so many pages?  It’s very illogical to me, it makes no sense at all.  I’m not bothering anyone am I?  If AVSIM has a problem I’m sure they’d handle it wouldn’t they?  I’m sorry but I don’t see how this could help me or anyone else in the flight sim community solve a problem.

Have a nice evening sir.  I’m sorry, these types of comments grow wearisome, especially when YOU or others do NOT have this problem.

Edited by Jack_Sawyer
  • Upvote 1

Jack Sawyer

3 minutes ago, Jack_Sawyer said:

Why is that?  What’s the significance of 60?  And like that other guy who was asking too.  My question is why do so many people not like so many pages?  It’s very illogical to me, it makes no sense at all.  I’m not bothering anyone am I?  If AVSIM has a problem I’m sure they’d handle it wouldn’t they?  I’m sorry but I don’t see how this could help me or anyone else in the flight sim community solve a problem.

Have a nice evening sir.  I’m sorry, these types of comments grow wearisome, especially when YOU or others do NOT have this problem.

60 seconds  60 pages. guess you didn't get the association. 🤪

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310