Sign in to follow this  
PDX Flyer

Is Simbrief sufficient to Plan ILS SIDS & STARS

Or do I need to do this with Navigraph.

Just recently purchased Navigraph 8 and understand it is a fairly new interface.  I have been flying GA planes to date and want to jump up to the Commercial jetliners.  I find Navigraph 8 so darn frustrating how to learn.

Edited by PDX Flyer
Wanted to clarify point about Navigraph 8 frustration.

Yes it will give you the full route including SIDS and STARS

If flying in North America you can compare to the real world IFR route in Flightaware.  Generally Simbrief is very close or exact to the real world route.

• Like 1

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Like Mark said above, you can absolutely plan it all in Simbrief including choosing the runways. I plan my flights in Simbrief and then Import the flight from Simbrief into Navigraph. Navigraph then loads in the map along with the needed charts (Airport diagrams, Sid/Stars). I use it on a tablet so it works out really well.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

27 minutes ago, MarkW said:

Yes it will give you the full route including SIDS and STARS

If flying in North America you can compare to the real world IFR route in Flightaware.  Generally Simbrief is very close or exact to the real world route.

1 minute ago, Flic1 said:

Like Mark said above, you can absolutely plan it all in Simbrief including choosing the runways. I plan my flights in Simbrief and then Import the flight from Simbrief into Navigraph. Navigraph then loads in the map along with the needed charts (Airport diagrams, Sid/Stars). I use it on a tablet so it works out really well.

Thanks Mark and Eric.  Your answers are exactly what I was looking for.

34 minutes ago, PDX Flyer said:

Or do I need to do this with Navigraph.

Just recently purchased Navigraph 8 and understand it is a fairly new interface.  I have been flying GA planes to date and want to jump up to the Commercial jetliners.  I find Navigraph 8 so darn frustrating how to learn.

What exactly is frustrating about it? I'm not sure how much easier they can make it to use.

Simbrief will include SID's and STARS during planning but is pretty uselss when you're flying and need to quickly change the arrival due to winds. It also won't include the approach.

I let Simbrief choose the departure and arrival but I always need to select the approach in Navigraph which it does  because it will know what your final fix is and what STAR you have in the route and suggest the correct one for you.

I can't fly without Navigraph anymore. It just makes everything so much easier.

• Like 3

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

29 minutes ago, Jazz said:

I’m so old I remember when we planned and flew with paper charts and (gasp) pencil and paper! 😎😎😎

• Like 9

15 minutes ago, btacon said:

I’m so old I remember when we planned and flew with paper charts and (gasp) pencil and paper! 😎😎😎

Me too.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

3 hours ago, btacon said:

But when you hopped in the plane and hit that button on the EFB, it uploaded your plan from the paper in your flight bag into the FMC, right?

• Upvote 1

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

Yeah, flight planners do not parse out approaches, just your planned runways.

Your typical flow would be: 

1.  Plan the flight:  Simbrief (or other planner tool).  Then you can pre-file from there if you're using an online ATC service like VATSIM.  You can also export it to the aircraft manually if needed as well.  Most modern payware aircraft will 'automatically' simulate ACARS, so you can 'request the route' from the FMC/MCDU or via an ACARS system if the aircraft has that.

2.  Import the flight directly from Simbrief in to NaviGraph Charts App or EFB charts app, i.e. Navigraph..  

Basically, load and go.  

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

5 hours ago, Jazz said:

What exactly is frustrating about it? I'm not sure how much easier they can make it to use.

Simbrief will include SID's and STARS during planning but is pretty uselss when you're flying and need to quickly change the arrival due to winds. It also won't include the approach.

I let Simbrief choose the departure and arrival but I always need to select the approach in Navigraph which it does  because it will know what your final fix is and what STAR you have in the route and suggest the correct one for you.

I do understand what you are saying (or at least I think I understand) and plan on experimenting on Thursday with this.  I hope you will keep the door open if I run into any difficulties on this as I am really a newbie at this flight planning stuff and am somewhat frustrated that there isn't a manual specifically directed to the newer interface in Navigraph.  One of my primary problems is that I let the software choose the main route and I seem to have problems connecting any STAR to that route.  There is always a dashed line between the two.  I am assuming I have to somehow get rid of the dashed line.  Maybe it is just as simple as entering what I have from Navigraph, then expecting and deleting a discontinuity?

1 hour ago, Jeff Nielsen said:

Yeah, flight planners do not parse out approaches, just your planned runways.

Your typical flow would be: 

1.  Plan the flight:  Simbrief (or other planner tool).  Then you can pre-file from there if you're using an online ATC service like VATSIM.  You can also export it to the aircraft manually if needed as well.  Most modern payware aircraft will 'automatically' simulate ACARS, so you can 'request the route' from the FMC/MCDU or via an ACARS system if the aircraft has that.

2.  Import the flight directly from Simbrief in to NaviGraph Charts App or EFB charts app, i.e. Navigraph..  

Basically, load and go.  

A well thought out response.  I will be trying what you suggested in number two above.  Thanks for taking time to respond.

• Like 1

I use SimBrief and Navigraph. But I am not a pilot and even though I have been simming for many years I am still unsure as to how you pick which VIA to use on approach? Where can you see the VIAs and on which chart? Mostly the waypoints are not mentioned on the approach chart?  SimBrief does not seem to tell you this and the FBW seems to need one to prevent the approach going haywire. Thanks for any help.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, PDX Flyer said:

A well thought out response.  I will be trying what you suggested in number two above.  Thanks for taking time to respond.

Thanks for that.  I wrote that on the fly while at work...flight controlling..none the less, so I was worried it might come out fragmented.

Not trying to self promote, but if you watch one of my vids from my channel below, I always show flight planning though importing, charting, perf numbers, the cockpit prep.  The entire deal on every flight.  It might help you with SID/STARs also and how you can start to see how you would select your initial approached fixes (and types of approaches).  From there SIDs and STARs will start to make more sense as well as your approach type and selection.  i.e. the transitions.  RNAV/non RNAV, etc.

I'm pretty dull, and not a typed pilot by any means, but for simming purposes I think is the best format; for me anyways.  There's more than one correct way of course but may at least get you pointed in the right direction.  From there you can develop your own flows, etc.

Edited by Jeff Nielsen

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

49 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

I use SimBrief and Navigraph. But I am not a pilot and even though I have been simming for many years I am still unsure as to how you pick which VIA to use on approach? Where can you see the VIAs and on which chart? Mostly the waypoints are not mentioned on the approach chart?  SimBrief does not seem to tell you this and the FBW seems to need one to prevent the approach going haywire. Thanks for any help.

I also struggle with vias on approach too and would love to know how I find out what one is used in the real world at the time of my flight