Sign in to follow this  
turner112

Question about custom colors

I just started using LNM more closely to help visualize certain things, especially SIDs/STARs and approaches.
Please forgive my ignorance if this has been covered, but a search turns up so many things that aren't actually my question.
(That, and I'm not sure where to find everything yet...)

Anyway - I really like the "Night" style with everything dark (especially at night!). I can't find some of the map elements in Options, though, and some are too dark, or rather hard to see/read with a dark background:

spacer.png

Again I'm not sure if I know where to find these things to change the color (if possible). I assume there's some way to do this, maybe related to editing a theme as shown here, though I didn't see how to edit an existing theme, and thought I'd ask about it here first, in case I'm missing it.

thanks!

Edited by turner112

Not all colors are exposed to the ini file and not all can be edited in the options dialog. GUI colors can be changed in little_navmap_nightstyle.ini or little_navmap_fusionstyle.ini. little_navmap_mapstyle.ini is for map display and partially other like flight plan table. I usually put more and more colors for each release to the ini file until all is covered.

I'd not use the black Dark Matter map but rather use OpenStreetMap or a similar theme and then adjust the map dimming in options at the bottom of the page "Map Display User". The Dark Matter theme is a difficult thing because normally all map feature colors have to be adapted to this one.

BTW: Your link points to an outdated manual version for 2.2. Here is the latest one: https://www.littlenavmap.org/manuals/littlenavmap/release/2.8/en/CUSTOMIZE.html

Alex

• Like 1

3 hours ago, albar965 said:

little_navmap_fusionstyle.ini. little_navmap_mapstyle.ini is for map display and partially other like flight plan table.

Thanks - found them. Looks fairly straightforward, once figuring out exactly what each thing is 🙂

Is there a way to activate/deactivate colors with specific themes?

Also, if we edit the .ini I assume we have to re-launch to see changes?

cheers

Edited by turner112

Just now, turner112 said:

Is there a way to activate/deactivate colors with specific themes?

Only for Fusion and Night. The other themes are hardcoded by the Qt library.
You can make the color transparent if it has an alpha channel (transparency: #AARRGGBB format) but I'm not sure how this will work out.

Alex

3 minutes ago, albar965 said:

Only for Fusion and Night. The other themes are hardcoded by the Qt library.
You can make the color transparent if it has an alpha channel (transparency: #AARRGGBB format) but I'm not sure how this will work out.

Alex

Thanks - editing the .ini is pretty easy. Just changed the VorColor quickly to try it out.

Does it require a restart to reload the .ini colors?

aBxGCal.jpg

Well, setting colors is irrationally fun. Thankfully LNM loads up lighting-fast.

A few follow-ups:
1) I can't figure out what the items marked are called. I want to remove the map in the upper left, but the green markup is things I'm trying to find in .ini. (black symbols for TOC, for example)

Also, I don't know the notation used for certain things like airspace:
ClassBPen=#902ece, 2, Solid
ClassBFillColor=#30902ece

What syntax is this using? I haven't seen ece extending a color code before... For other stuff I could just change the hex code. Here, nothing seems to have an effect, though.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, turner112 said:

I can't figure out what the items marked are called. I want to remove the map in the upper left, but the green markup is things I'm trying to find in .ini. (black symbols for TOC, for example)

Overfly circle is "ProcedurePointFlyoverColor"
TOC and TOD have no color variable yet. I can change this. This is not a big deal.

1 hour ago, turner112 said:

Also, I don't know the notation used for certain things like airspace:
ClassBPen=#902ece, 2, Solid
ClassBFillColor=#30902ece

The pen is the (not transparent) outline of an airspace. The items are color, line width and line style. Style is Solid, Dash, Dot, DashDot and DashDotDot. See the link into the manual I posted above.

The fill color is the transparent fill in #RRGGBBAA where AA is the alpha channel, i.e. the transparency. All numbers in hexadecimal notation where FF is 255 for example.

#30902ece is hex 30 (decimal 49) for red, 90 (144) for green, 2E (42) for blue and CE (206) for transparency.

To remove the map right click on it and select close or look into the menu "Window" -> "Map Overlays".

The RNP approch feather uses GlsCenterPen, GlsGbasColor, GlsGbasFillColor and GlsTextColor

Alex

• Like 1

3 hours ago, albar965 said:

#30902ece is hex 30 (decimal 49) for red, 90 (144) for green, 2E (42) for blue and CE (206) for transparency.

Ok... this is weird... Here are my colors:

ClassBPen=#ba1133, 1, Solid
ClassBFillColor=#3B9038CE

the color seems to be reversing, kind of, in the transparent fill, but works as expected for the solid outline. Here's Class B: what color is this supposed to be? Here's how it shows up on a hex tool (sorry for the size of the image):

spacer.png

And here's how the combo appears in LNM as transparent fill for Las Vegas Class B:

spacer.png

Edited by turner112

Oh dear. LNM reads #AARRGGBB and NOT #RRGGBBAA.🙁

Sorry for the misunderstanding. The documentation is wrong. You have to put the last two characters AA to the front to get it right.

Now I can only correct the documentation but not the order in the configuration file since this would break a lot of color configuration files.🙁

Alex

Edit: Just see that the documentation is correct. It mentions the rather unusual AARRGGBB format which is default in the Qt library I'm using.

Edited by albar965
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, albar965 said:

Oh dear. LNM reads #AARRGGBB and NOT #RRGGBBAA.🙁

Sorry for the misunderstanding. The documentation is wrong. You have to put the last two characters AA to the front to get it right.

Now I can only correct the documentation but not the order in the configuration file since this would break a lot of color configuration files.🙁

Alex

Edit: Just see that the documentation is correct. It mentions the rather unusual AARRGGBB format which is default in the Qt library I'm using.

Thank you!