Sign in to follow this  
january

Dual Display (Horizontal Span) Anyone?

Guest shalder

Hi All,Searching for a solution for a week now, with out having too much succcess.Has anyone managed to span their Virtual Cockpit on two displays running Vista? I'm using Nvidia (eVGA 8600 GT) and it runs perfect on XP using horizontal mode. However, when switched to Vista, the only possible solution is to use two seperate windows as the diaply max horizontal resolution is 1280*... and the second monitor isn't showing anything when expanding to both screen, which makes it impossible to span my VC. I'm using fsx sp1 and I've downloaded all vista related upgrades/patches too. Nvidia also claims that it does not support horizontal span in Vista anymore, so I wonder wether there is a workaround for this issue as I'm really into using dx10 and the two monitors.Thank you,Daniel

Fraid not, at least until NVidia adds that support back in to their Vista drivers (unless there's some technical reason why they can't support that, in which case it may never be possible under Vista).You could run windowed instead of full screen and then stretch the window to cover both monitors, not quite as nice but close :->

Guest danny68

Makes me glad I stuck with XP. Right now I really think you'll be better of going back to XP if you still can. Wait another year or so for vista for flight simming. I've fixed many computers for people and always it's issues with Vista at the moment. Drivers still aren't working right and it's going to be a long while yet before things will be fixed.

Guest shalder

Thank you all for your replies.I'll be waiting patiently for any fix. Nvidia claims it won't support horizontal span in their site so not sure if that will change or not in future version, something to do with the WDDM module in Vista. Alternatively, I hope some Vista patch will extend my resolution. As for working with two windows, I don't see how I can create 2 views, side-by-side, just as it will look in a wide-view virtual cockpit. It will only be useful when having one view is dedicated, say for the virtual cockpit whereas the second for the plane outside view, wingview or for the instruments panel, etc. Unfortunately, I don't see a way of building two views that perfectly extend each other.-Dani

Guest shalder

One more thing - I was unable to strectch the window view to both screens as one side turned totally dark when the cockpit strected above its max resolution. Did anyone manage to stretch the window to both screens?

Dani- For a screenshot to illustrate what can be done with multiple views, search this forum for "Kneeboard Brightness" Aug 01/07 topic #27921- posting by Jim Cooper. While this pic is FS9/XP- gives an idea of the value of a 180

Guest danny68

sounds interesting.what a system. would be great to have that

Guest shalder

Hi Alex,Wow, that's really nice set up! I wonder how you manage to append the views together so that the horizon will match both screens (I only have 2 monitors :-) ) when on the ground and while in air, while rolling and changing altitudes. Really nice.When I tried to do something similar, there always were defects in how continuous the pictures looked and matched one another.Are you zooming in/out and using the shift-/shift- to move views around?Also, are you able to save the setups in between flights?Cheers,-Dani

>Hi All,>>Searching for a solution for a week now, with out having too>much succcess.>>Has anyone managed to span their Virtual Cockpit on two>displays running Vista? I'm using Nvidia (eVGA 8600 GT) and it>runs perfect on XP using horizontal mode. However, when>switched to Vista, the only possible solution is to use two>seperate windows as the diaply max horizontal resolution is>1280*... and the second monitor isn't showing anything when>expanding to both screen, which makes it impossible to span my>VC. I'm using fsx sp1 and I've downloaded all vista related>upgrades/patches too. Nvidia also claims that it does not>support horizontal span in Vista anymore, so I wonder wether>there is a workaround for this issue as I'm really into using>dx10 and the two monitors.>>Thank you,>DanielMaybe these folks can help you --> http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/

Dani- The secret to synch mutiple views- LFwd,Fwd,RFwd etc so that the horizon/scenery is always aligned in roll/pitch - is found in FS Panel Config. What you need to do is alter the View angle to compensate for the width of the monitor bezels that separate the views. View Fwd ranges from straight ahead to 45

Dani-Re your last qestion- Yes - any flight can be saved and restarted with this multi mon setup. I start all FS scenarios this way- saves much effort in creating views/undocking/dragging/sizing and setup. Just go thru' the setup once and save!!Occasionally for some reason a secondary view direction has to to be reset upon reloading a saved flight- just use num KB to reset view direction when the flight opens. Also the Zoom reopens one point lower than saved- I bump up Zoom 1 point before saving to beat this!!. And sometimes a view has to be repositioned very slightly to synch horizon- perhaps moved up or down 1/8 ". These little tweaks take less than 30 seconds!Anything that saves with a single mon setup, saves the same for triple mons.Another quirk to be observed, is after you have used the mouse on a secondary monitor, reclick on main view to restore focus- there is a FPS penalty if the focus/cursor remains on a secondary monitor.Finally a comment re horsepower and FPS. This triple mon/180