Sign in to follow this  
DadJokeCinema

Will you buy Acceleration?

Guest radivil

>Can't we just get rid of any threads>that relate to this stupid 'arcade-style' add-on and discuss>things that actually relate to flight simulation?This is the most elitist thing I've read on this forum in a while. I had no idea that simulating air races didn't get to count as flight simulation and is only some "arcade" game.

>I, for one, am buying absolutely nothing for FSX (including>hardware), untill the basic package is fixed. The default>airliners lack lighting, some of the switches are reversed, or>don't work at all, and the blurries, in addition to the>generally poor performance, are just too much to really enjoy>the sim even without all the features enabled. I am not going>to attend the FANCON for the same reasons. I fly FSX almost>exclusively (I have no add-ons in FS9), but it is a half baked>product without question. And, NO, air racing does nothing for>me.>Well FSX can be that bad if you fly it almost exclusively when you also have FS9. :D

No, for all the reasons I've given before. - Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Guest fsxmissionguy

Yep, my reaction as well.It's almost as if the only thing that's "flight simulation" is "Delta Air Lines simulation."Air racing is a very popular sport and is certainly part of "flight" as in "Flight Simulator."Glad to see it getting its due.

Hmmm, noticed quite a few air racers at Oshkosh along with the aerobatic aircraft and they sure seemed like "real aviation" to me.The term aviation covers a lot more than your favorite airliner or cessna..:-)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

I respectfully disagree. The responses to your assumption that airplane racing is stupididly arcadish have nailed the kitten to the cross.Believe it or not, some people consider sitting at a desk flying a 747 on a desktop computer a game. Maybe you and my wife could get together and discuss the granular differences between game and simulation and see who gets the last word in. :)In all seriousness, why the vitrolic opinion of something that simulates a small but exciting slice of the aviation pie?Ian.

Hah! Kind of a contradiction, eh? ----but I can't seem to put it down. It has so much to offer potentially. It's downright maddening!! I guess I keep hoping it will somehow get fixed. I am tempted to buy some FS9 add-ons for scenery etc, but I just don't do it. I want FSX to get right!

Guest JIMJAM

I think the nick75 misread my post.I was poking fun at how everything Aces does innvolves lots of water and deserts. Makes the performance/fps look real good.Next up, Mooney Moon races ect ect.Anyways, yes racing is real aviation and one of the ways it was SOLD to the masses in the early days.Now racing through computer hoops.......I remember complaining on the Level D forums about only being able to time accelarate 4x. I simply do not have the time or desire to sit 4 hours.I was attacked and strung up by the hardcores. The very NERVE of me to even consider using time accelaration or,choke, suggest Level D move to 8X accelaration was worthy of instant death.

Yeah, when I complete my training as an air traffic controller and get back to my PC I will get it

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest fsxmissionguy

Mike,I get that the Level D 767 is a fine simulation of an aircraft, and I take nothing away from the developers who created this aircraft.The attention to detail when you have a year and a team to work on a single aircraft is quite expansive. Without the FSX programming engine, it would be impossible for them to have created this piece of art. And I think that's what is sometimes missing in the commentary - FSX is at the same time a simulation, a game ... but most importantly, a platform.The realities, however, of having the out-of-the-box FSX (or any global flight simulation) reach the "Level D" level of detail when one considers all the aspects required of this one set of programmers ... I just don't think that's realistic. I expect they'll miss a button toggle here and there and that doesn't kill the experience for me. Some need EVERYTHING to be just perfect; and that's OK too because it creates an incentive for the ACES team to strive for that goal.I think that's why ACES spent a lot of time making certain that the platform would be extensible from the get go. They realize their own limitations (budget, time, other resources) and also realize the benefits of having a community of developers and players coalesce around their product.I've been using Flight Simulator since FS98 and have seen exponential improvements in all aspects of the simulation through each succeeding version ... which is certainly not to say that I haven't had my share of disappointments. Watching the commentary that preceeded my purchase of FSX was painful. I put off the purchase for a long time hoping things would improve. Getting 7fps in Tokyo elicited groans from me just as much as you.Thankfully, SP1 resolved most of those performance issues for the large majority of their customers.I am looking forward to the extensions that Acceleration will offer primarily because Flight Simulator has always been first and foremost, for me at least, just doggone fun to "play."I've learned so much about flying that I could never, ever afford to learn by getting a Private Pilot's license. I'm sure that's the same reaction most people who have purchased Flight Simulator over the years have had.

Guest fsxmissionguy

LMAO, Ian.Hope the wifey isn't an AVSIM fan ... or you may find yourself disloging your joystick from a very unjoyful place.Heh.:(

>LMAO, Ian.>>Hope the wifey isn't an AVSIM fan ... or you may find yourself>disloging your joystick from a very unjoyful place.>>Heh.:( I was telling my girlfriend about the Level D sim and everything that goes into setting up a long flight and how amazing the detail level is and her reply was "that sounds really really boring".Then again, she stared at me flying one of the pylon missions in FSX until motion sickness made her fall over.So I guess to each their own.

would you rather have microsoft not make money and have flight sim dissapear?

Guest unitedpilot36

No, the thing doesn't look that great.