Sign in to follow this  
seamaster55

New Entry on p3d main site.

I'm honestly not that excited for a P3Dv6.  I'm still having a hard enough time trying to find out which 3rd party planes and scenery and other stuff work for P3Dv5.  When P3Dv6 comes out that likely means a lot of stuff won't work and we'll all have to wait for all the 3rd party developers to decide whether or not they want to support it or they just give up like Milviz did.

14 minutes ago, Kalnon said:

I'm honestly not that excited for a P3Dv6.  I'm still having a hard enough time trying to find out which 3rd party planes and scenery and other stuff work for P3Dv5.  When P3Dv6 comes out that likely means a lot of stuff won't work and we'll all have to wait for all the 3rd party developers to decide whether or not they want to support it or they just give up like Milviz did.

It is easy to see why so many folks get caught up in the well known mental exercise of hand wringing over the next version of flight sims. It does not matter what version or platform you are using. Mark my words…..on the verY day that LM releases V6 there will be a lot of folks who down load it and will, as we have seen for years and years, post that man I hope V6.1 has this or they will post something like I am going to wait on V7.0. It is just something that we of humans seem to always do to ourself and yep I have done it too lol. I hope that l have learned that but who knows LOL We have to dance with the girl we brought to the party. Just pick the prettiest girl you can find and enjoy the music and her company. 

• Like 2

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

40 minutes ago, shivers9 said:

It is easy to see why so many folks get caught up in the well known mental exercise of hand wringing over the next version of flight sims. It does not matter what version or platform you are using. Mark my words…..on the verY day that LM releases V6 there will be a lot of folks who down load it and will, as we have seen for years and years, post that man I hope V6.1 has this or they will post something like I am going to wait on V7.0. It is just something that we of humans seem to always do to ourself and yep I have done it too lol. I hope that l have learned that but who knows LOL We have to dance with the girl we brought to the party. Just pick the prettiest girl you can find and enjoy the music and her company. 

Good point and very well said.  The problem for me is I cannot decide which girl is the prettiest and that's why I have five different flight simulators installed and I regularly switch between them all 😀

2 hours ago, Kalnon said:

When P3Dv6 comes out that likely means a lot of stuff won't work

I expect most stuff will work, especially scenery add-ons. But I agree that add-ons that don't work are sadly increasingly unlikely to be updated. But it's impossible to quantify all that.

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else

2 hours ago, d.tsakiris said:

I expect most stuff will work, especially scenery add-ons. But I agree that add-ons that don't work are sadly increasingly unlikely to be updated. But it's impossible to quantify all that.

Yeah one of the reasons I still use FSX is to fly planes I like that don't work in P3Dv5.3 as I don't own any older versions of P3D.  I went straight from FSX:SE to P3Dv5.3.  For example, planes like the Wings 42 Lockheed Vega 5C which I bought recently, It's only compatible up to P3Dv4.  I absolutely adore that plane even though it's not finished and who knows if it will ever be but I still love flying it so I fly it in FSX.

I don't think it's impossible to quantify as I consider factors like how popular P3D is now (it's not) and if the developers who develop products for it are making money (which is the reason Milviz quit for example.).  What is harder to quantify is how much P3D will change from v5.3 to v6 since we (as well as 3rd party developers) have no idea what Lockheed Martin is going to change and how it will affect current add-ons.  All things considered, I think I'd rather hold off for a long time myself.

It's not completely outside the bounds of possibility that LM might make an agreement with MS to use the MSFS base technology for P3D in the same way that they did for ESP originally. Highly unlikely, but not impossible. Microsoft hasn't shown any interest in going back into the commercial sim market with an ESP-like product based on MSFS, but they might be open to making money by licensing it to someone else. Making MSFS add-ons largely compatible with P3D would solve a lot of problems.

Honestly, though, that's probably less likely than them completely rebuilding the sim around Unreal Engine. A boy can dream...

• Like 1

Temporary sim: 9700K @ 5GHz, 2TB NVMe SSD, RTX 3080Ti, MSFS + SPAD.NeXT

10 minutes ago, neilhewitt said:

It's not completely outside the bounds of possibility that LM might make an agreement with MS to use the MSFS base technology for P3D in the same way that they did for ESP originally. Highly unlikely, but not impossible. Microsoft hasn't shown any interest in going back into the commercial sim market with an ESP-like product based on MSFS, but they might be open to making money by licensing it to someone else. Making MSFS add-ons largely compatible with P3D would solve a lot of problems.

Honestly, though, that's probably less likely than them completely rebuilding the sim around Unreal Engine. A boy can dream...

I'm right there dreaming with you.  Good god, a flight simulator built on Unreal Engine, I can just imagine...  Or maybe built on Ubisoft's Dunia Engine, or even look at how amazing Star Citizen looks and how they adapted the Cry Engine, love the game or hate it, it's a beautiful place to fly...  I could go on 😀

7 hours ago, Kalnon said:

I am most concerned about my ORBX scenery and purchases.  Hopefully, I will still be able to use them.  Everything else I can easily reinstall and use if possible.

4 hours ago, spilok said:

I am most concerned about my ORBX scenery and purchases.  Hopefully, I will still be able to use them.  Everything else I can easily reinstall and use if possible.

I have to agree with you with all the Orbx stuff I own for P3D and X-Plane 11, I have hundreds invested in Orbx.  I would even be willing to pay a bit more for continued support.  An Orbx forum Moderator told me recently the Orbx developers are Ukranian which I never knew.  Have to wait for the stupid war to subside before they can really get to work, another thing to consider with them.

ORBx have developers all over the place. I assume that this moderator was referring to a specific product.

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

On 2/28/2023 at 9:39 PM, Bob Scott said:

The P3D team at LM is indeed still employed and hard at work, and there's ample evidence of the ongoing development of an upcoming v6.

Hi Bob,

Must admit I struggle to find evidence...is it freely available?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, davenicoll said:

Hi Bob,

Must admit I struggle to find evidence...is it freely available?

LM never divulge info on any new version. You’re going to have to be patient I’m afraid.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I seem to get excited every TUESDAY!  I truly believe that one of these TUESDAYS... we are going to get some great news!  Call it a premonition, but I truly believe it.

Stan

• Like 1

On 3/3/2023 at 12:51 PM, Kalnon said:

I have to agree with you with all the Orbx stuff I own for P3D and X-Plane 11, I have hundreds invested in Orbx.  I would even be willing to pay a bit more for continued support.  An Orbx forum Moderator told me recently the Orbx developers are Ukranian which I never knew.  Have to wait for the stupid war to subside before they can really get to work, another thing to consider with them.

Orbx started as an Australian company based in Melbourne. Their early products were Australian regions, followed by YMML (which they charged me twice for when I bought it on release day, I must raise that with them some time…

They’ve been using developers all over the place for years now (some in-house, some selling their products on the Orbx site as partners).

The most prominent Ukrainian developer who sells through Orbx is probably Pyreegue, who are state-of-the-art when it comes to MSFS airports.

• Like 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

10 hours ago, spilok said:

. we are going to get some great news!  Call it a premonition, but I truly believe it.

Stan

You told me that about MS Flight, Stan.

You told me I was going to love it. That was not true.

Your crystal ball is clearly imperfect. 😉

• Upvote 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."