Sign in to follow this  
ual763

Increasing the Delay Time For Next Update

Hello Nico!  So far I am in love with PSXT.  It is so nice to have real traffic finally.  I was wondering if it would be possible to increase the delay time range in the next update?  Perhaps up to 90 or 120seconds?  For some reason, there are some major airports that lag behind in the ADSB data for me a lot.  For example,  KMIA, KDTW, etc.  Increasing it to 60 seconds has helped considerably, but I still get some disappearing aircraft due to ADSB lag.  I think 90 seconds or more would make it flawless for me at these difficult airports.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by ual763

Hi Rob,

There has been a thread about this topic. I have explained that there are drawbacks too in increasing the delay time further. Please do a search for that topic first.

Btw. This is not about adsb lag, but interruptions in the data stream.

Nico

Edited by kiek
  • Like 1

In KMIA situation, I think it's RT that has problem with disappearing AI. I compared FR24 stream with RT's one and RT stream has major issues - all of landing AI were being disappeared when I scan this morning. I'm about to write to RT developer. 

• Upvote 1

Okay, sounds good!  Thanks for writing to RT developer.  All I can say is that increasing it to 60 seconds did help for me.  Not perfect, but at least some aircraft are taxiing and don’t disappear on landing.  Will be curious to hear his response.

I will go look for thread here about drawbacks of increasing delay time.

Cheers

Edited by ual763

1 hour ago, G-YMML1 said:

I'm about to write to RT developer. 

Don't think he can do much about it. He does not record the adsb-data.

Edited by kiek
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ual763 said:

I will go look for thread here about drawbacks of increasing delay time.

One of the drawbacks: Suppose there is a gap (an interruption) in the traffc data of say 1 minute. You can "bridge" that  gap with a delay of 90 seconds indeed. However, if in that uncovered minute the aircraft has made a turn of 90 degrees (following taxiways) you will see it go straight to that new position, cutting corners, through the grass. That is more immersion killing than disappearing and re-appearing.

Another one: With these long buffers PSXT will have the option to smooth (wrong) groundspeed diffferences over a longer period. So some aircraft can then run say 20 seconds behind real time and others 20 seconds ahead of real time. Hence more chance that taxiing aircraft run into each other, and since they are live aircraft you see both.

Believe me, I'm playing for 7 years now with these parameters, and 30 seconds delay is a good average. Use 15 for airports with very good ATC coverage, and 60 for poor adsb-coverage (buildings blocking the ads-b signals).

• Like 2

Will do!  Thanks for the detailed explanation.

- Rob

Edited by ual763