Hi Folks. I wondered about the designation (T) in the LNM Approach ILS 21 (T). I made a search and discovered that there are two different types....(T) and (Q). However, I did not bookmark the site and now I cannot remember the definition of the (T) and (Q) in the ILS.

Does anyone have that information?

Thanks...Kenny.

Hello Alex.

This is for the Approach ILS 21 (T) at London Biggin Hill , EGKB. It has an Ident of FF21 and there are indeed two different Transitions. There are in fact three approaches listed for Biggin Hill. Each of them has the (T) designator. However, there are lots of airports with the (T) designation showing for their approaches, not just in the U.K. Belp (LSZB) is another example I flew into. It has two approaches, one is an ILS and the other is an RNAV. They both show the (T).

I will continue to search for the website I found a few weeks ago. I am sure that it had a mention of different altitudes for the (T) and (Q) designators.

Cheers...Kenny.

edit. I have had another look at the LNM user manual and in Section 25. Search Procedures. The listing at 25.2 Procedure Tree, bullet point 1 Description, states that the Suffix (T) indicates present transitions. I am sure that I read something about altitudes somewhere else. I may well be mistaken though.

Further edit. I found it. Here is what I was looking for...

"With the invention of RNAV routes, airway structure no longer has to be based on ground-based navaids; a new naming convention is used. RNAV routes not based on VOR routes in low altitudes are preceded with the letter "T"; high airway routes are designated with the letter "Q". RNAV routes are depicted in blue on low and high altitude charts produced by the FAA's Aeronautical Navigation Products."

This is perhaps not the intended usage in LNM. I think that LNM is simply meaning that there are different transitions available as per Section 25 in the Manual.

Edited by kenny584

The (T) is just an indicator that there are transitions present for an approach. Most approaches have one or more.

1 hour ago, kenny584 said:

"With the invention of RNAV routes, airway structure no longer has to be based on ground-based navaids; a new naming convention is used. RNAV routes not based on VOR routes in low altitudes are preceded with the letter "T"; high airway routes are designated with the letter "Q". RNAV routes are depicted in blue on low and high altitude charts produced by the FAA's Aeronautical Navigation Products."

These are airway naming conventions and have nothing to do with approaches and the (T). LNM takes the airway names from the source data (Navigraph or Simulator) as is. Not all airways use a Q or T prefix. Probably depends on region.

Alex

Hello again Alex.

Yes, I can see that now. I saw the (T) and (Q) references within the document that I quoted from and simply wondered if it had a similar meaning within LNM. Now that I have found the relevant section of the user manual and with your explanation I can see that there is no connection whatsoever.

Thanks for your help, and thanks also for your dedication to the simulator community.

Regards...Kenny.