Sign in to follow this  
Qatsimo

Icing in FSX?

Does it exist? I've done quite some airliner flights in FSX, first only with fsx online weather and later with ASX online weather. In all these flights i've never turned on probe heating, engine- or wing anti ice and i never had any problems because of icing. In FS9 the speed indicator could suddenly drop to zero when i forgot to turn on probe heat, in FSx this has never happened so far. Anyone else noticed this, or did you have icing effects? Regards, Gerrit

Guest j-mo

I've experienced icing in FSX using ASX. Sorry, I can't recall the plane or other circumstances, but I had to turn on the probe heat to get everything working again.

Guest SkyDrift

Some effects of icing are modeled, but not visually (you won't see icicles hanging off the wings of a 737 at O'Hare in winter :>)- Skydrift

Guest jlwoodward

If the airspeed indicator drops to zero, turning on the pitot heat will fix it after a few seconds. If the engine seems to be losing power and the manifold pressure is dropping, carburetor heat will restore it. I suspect that external icing also works, for after a few minutes of flying in bad weather the plane seemed to be slowing down, and turning on the deicers seemed to help. It took me a while to realize what was going on the first time, because I didn't think any of it worked.

ok thanks, i'm glad it's working. Must be something else in my setup or maybe it wasn't cold and wet enough to experience icing.Regards, Gerrit