Sign in to follow this  
Kosta

FSX: A holy grail of no CTDs?

and your point is...RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Ehh, nothing really, was just angry, cuz my FS9 likes to CTD sometimes (very rarely, lately even not at all), ruining my flights, and now FSX also... Thought this would be repaired, but apparently it wasn't (or it's not possible to repair).

If you are getting CTD's in both FS9 and FSX then that's probably an indicator that something is amiss in your system...and it's most likely not FS9 or FSX.I'd look at hardware issues, driver issues, before blaming FS9 or FSX. And if you don't get CTD's in any other application, keep in mind that FS9 and FSX both run the CPU at 100% usage, and nothing pushes a computer as hard as FS does. I'll test an overclock with SuperPI but also with FS.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

Everytime I exit FSX I now get the 'FSX has encountered a problem and needs to close' message. All I have installed is SP1, UTX and LVD767.Everything else, including FS9 runs fine on my PC.As it only happens when I exit the sim, it's not bothering me that much.Glenn

Glenn, I get the same message and have no add-ons, just SP1. I wonder how many others are having this issue?. It didn't bother me much either at first, but I now suspect it's why none of my settings changes are being saved across sessions because the sim won't write to the cfg file when it closes (see my post elsewhere in the forum). And I don't like living with that scenerio at all......... Regards, KendallDell 8400 3.2 GHZ H.T.3GB 533 DDR2X800XT 256MB/Catalyst driver - 7.1's6x AA/16x HQ A/FDiamond Xtreme/Logitech X-530'sDual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905CH Yoke/Pedals - Saitek Throttle

Regards, Kendall

Mace, I am completely sure it is *not* my system. What could eventually be, is hardware that doesn't play well along, although also my components are pretty good, and not the cheapest. Everything driver-wise updated and working well.No other games are crashing. And I have tested my setup with many many tools, from SuperPI, Orthos, MemTest, Prime95 and others.Also not the heat.So, it must be programming in the FS9/X.

I believe the evidence is most likely these ctds are caused by your equipment/system.My logic: Your system components are so standard that if ctds were the result of a system like yours interacting with a software bug, that bug would have been a constant issue in the community, in fact that bug would not have made it past the beta process.Further, the one part of your system that is quite NON-standard is the watercooling, which suggests extreme overclocking. I suspect you have found the instability of your overclock that cannot be detected by superpi, othros, memtest, and prime95.My fsx is stable as a rock, no ctds. my system:core2duo e6600 with a mild overclock to 3ghz cooled by arctic7 hs/fan.intel 975bxb 4gb crucial ram (4x1gb in dual config)radeon x1900xt vidIf the ctds were inherent in the fsx, how could you explain why fsx works so well on my system?Best,Bob

Well, you just haven't encountered it yet! :D

I've never had FSX crash, and I use it almost everyday since it came out. It has to do with the hardware / overclocking.

I have been having computer crash restart problems for weeks now, about 10 minutes into the flight, but only in full screen mode - Windows mode is okay. I have tested exhaustively, done many updates but I am rapidly coming to the conclusion it is inadequate power supply. I have a 600 watt unit which delivers 18A on each of the two 12v rails. My Sapphire X1950XT 512mb calls for 30A on the 12v rail!! I notice several high end ATI cards in this string, so check the power requirements on your box.There are lots of similar problems being discussed at the Sapphire forum at: http://www.sapphiretech.com/en/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4I have one more test to do and that is to re-install FSX, and if that does not cure the problem, I will be trying another power supply.NigelVancouverMy System:Intel Core2 Duo E6400Gigabyte GA 965G DS3 mobo Sapphire ATI Radeon X1950XT video card PCI-e 512MB2GB Transcend 800Mhz DDR2 RAMMaxtor 80GB 7200rpm hard driveMaxtor 200GB 7200rpm hard driveWestern Digital 250GB 7200rpm hard driveCreative Sound Blaster Live! with latest driversNEC FE950+ crt monitorCHProducts USB yoke and pedalsWindows XP Home edition with SP2DirectX 9.0©Cooler Master 600W power supply Five case fans

>Well, you just haven't encountered it yet! :DI guess I haven't encountered it yet either, nor have most people, based on the lack of reporting of CTD's in this forum in the 10 months of FSX history we have accrued so far.The only time I have had a CTD with FSX was when I was massively overclocking.It has been the paragon of stability when I keep things reasonable with the overclocking.I still maintain that the cause could be any number of things, including corrupted driver, gummed-up OS, hardware problem, etc. If CTD's were a pervasive thing in FSX, there would 100's of posts here about it.The true test for you would be to wipe everything, reinstall OS + all updates + vid driver, then FSX clean. And see if you get CTD's then. If you got CTD's then, you would know that the problem was hardware, a combination of hardware.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

That would mean, running without OC for 6 months from now on and not getting CTD. Just for the sake of the test? Nah...sorry.